Moisture: Humidity or hidden moisture condition?

While inspecting a 2007 home I tested the finished portion of a basement and found moisture readings up to 18% at the corner of the lower wall along the trim. The drywall registered up to 16% moisture and the interior wall was up to 13% moisture. Relative humidity was over 85 and we had recent rain.
Is this a typical reading? Or, should it be further evaluated?
No humidifier was present. No A/C running…
Thanks, Bill O

Found high humidity and high moisture reading .
This condition can lead to a serious mould problem .
Recommend immediate repair .

You are kidding, right? Don’t you need just a little more information…

I am inspecting to find concerns .

Not my job to dig up the foundation or to tear open the wall .
What more information do think I need to have .
What makes you think I am kidding .
Thanks for the discussion .

Time for someone’s meds.

Linas all you do is talk crap!
And any never help to anyone.

Sorry to hear this about you Linus .
I do not read many of your post’s and had no idea you are having trouble .
I am sorry and wish you all the best.
I and Char are extremely fortunate .
.We are very active and healthy and enjoying our retirement big time .
I wish you all the best and hope things work out and you too can be as lucky as we are,.

Was the interior wall a known dry wall? If that is your point of reference and there was only a 5% difference to the exterior wall, I’m not sure you can draw many conclusions from those readings.

If you don’t have staining and/or damage to add to your evidence I would simply add a note which mentions the readings and emphasizes the need for exterior and interior moisture control and regular monitoring.

Interesting, a Homie asks for help, I Gave my thoughts , 75 have read this string .
2 challenged and complained about my post .
I wonder why these two need to complain and add zip ,
I wonder do they lack the ability to post their thoughts or just** love to complain**.

One added his thoughts and more good information and ideas ( Thanks Cameron ).

Repair could be a simple as adding a dehumidifier, or a major fix .

[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2][/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]
Most of my moisture readings come back under 10% or over 30%. It’s the borderline cases that make it a more difficult call.

Here’s what I wrote…

Improve : Raised Moisture Levels present finishes tested in the basement ( 18 %). Levels above 19% moisture promote wood rot and/or mold. Modern buildings have a more difficult time discharging moisture. Humidifiers, air conditioning and simple ventilation are some
methods used to reduce moisture levels. No wet/leak condition observed.
Follow this wit h my usual “No basement leaks at the time of the inspection” comment…

Even if I keep my moisture meter in my pocket until I see evidence of moisture, I’ll still run into the borderline moisture levels that need their own commentary…

I’ll probably add…If moisture levels persist, further evaluation is recommended…

Thanks, Bill
[/size][/FONT]

Recent rain, high humidity, corner.

Recommend monitoring for changing conditions and using a fan.

Concern?

Not much.

DEHUmidifier. 85% humidity w/o any ac if they don’t have mold already they will- homeowner not an inspector but we hire professionals to catch things we don’t know about because we’ve never owned a home or aren’t builders, ect.