Moisture meter readings

Not sure which forum to put this in. Does the sheetrock corner bead affect the readings on a Tramex Moisture Encounter Plus? Nothing in the manual mentions it. I’m getting high readings around some parts of window frames from todays inspection, but without corroborating evidence I’m not going to call it out. The funny thing is it only goes high on some of the corner bead areas.

Hi to all,

yes James, any RF moisture meter will give you false positives if it encounters metal under the surface including corner beads, screws and nails, Pipes and old metal plaster lath.

Regards

Gerry

and electrical wiring

and low-E window coatings

I never thought to check for moisture on glass :wink:

Regards

Gerry

That’s how I discovered it picks up the metallic low-E coating on windows. I wanted to see if I could detect internal moisture from a broken seal that was not yet visible. Yes, I know, the ice cube test would works also.

I tried the RF moisture meter out on my own windows. I noticed that it picked up a reading but only on one side of the window:-s The inside. After testing different windows I realized that it was the low-E coating. As I put the windows in myself I knew which ones had the coating and which ones didn’t. Sure enough it was an exact match.

It is also hampered by textured walls and ceilings, and sometimes high humidity in carports and porches.

Thanks for the confirmation.

When using a moisture meter without the probes and I get elevated readings along the corner beading, I confirm it by checking other areas of the corner. Better safe than sorry.

Paul, how does the ice cube test work? -Kent

Put ice on the window for 15-30 secs.
Remove.
Wipe off exterior condensation.
If it dosen’t come off, the moisture is between the glass.

Paul,
Thanks for the ice cube info.
Sounds like you only got false readings from the inside. Were you able to detect failed seals by checking fom the outside? Also, different meters must read to different depths. Which meter were you using?

Kent,

I am using a GE Protimeter Surveymaster Yes, different meters do read to different depths but any non-insvasive moisture meter should work as I described.

Let me clairify though. Using the non-invasive moisture meter will **NOT **detect a broken seal. It will detect the presence of a low-E coating. As low-E coatings are put on the outward facing side of the interior pane testing for low low must be done from the inside.