Moisture Staining

What would cause this type of moisture staining in dry basement? Thanks.

did the basement have a sump pump ?

1 Like

No sir it did not.

Mopping the floor possibly.

7 Likes

I’ve never seen a basement without a sump pump installed. It’s obviously moisture coming from somewhere.

2 Likes

No sump in mine, Martin, but I do have a floor drain that has never been used. 1966 build and dry as a bone on a clay site. (knock on wood)

I would go with Junior I think seeing a fresh painted floor.

3 Likes

Possibly moisture wicking from the floor. The peg board should have been held off the floor. Drywall will do the same.

4 Likes

Concrete slab in a basement can pull moisture from the ground if no barrier was installed below the slab. Other than that, they had a spill in the past. I would not be too concerned unless I found rot damage.

2 Likes

Seems like wicking from the floor prior to adding the paint.

2 Likes

My thoughts as well.

2 Likes

Multiple things could cause this, and the list is not exhaustive:
Moisture wicking (concrete has a moisture content and that material will soak it up)
Past plumbing or component leak
Spill
Basement water intrusion
Exterior wall? Air movement across the sill plate

Freshly painted basements require extra attention

1 Like

all those possibilities and lol this, if that’s a block B-wall, a possible EXT crack, cracked parging in block wall in that area and water/seepage could have come in, as it usually does, where the bottom of the B wall meets the floor, caused some stains on floor which is why some peeps paint the floor - a water test with hose would deduce a possible EXT crack in B wall and prior subsequent leak/seepage

sump pumps here, older houses not many, newer houses more sumps

3 Likes

You think they washed that floor before painting it several times and it continues to be washed?

Perforated hardboard is tempered hardboard, which is pre-drilled with evenly spaced holes.
If there was a flood the board would swell and deform at the bottom. One could reasonably assume, the water would have to stand for some time to leave a height stain like that.
Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Any staining on the base trim or carpet on the other side of that wall, Todd?

1 Like

First I would check to see if it was wet with a moisture meter, including the other side of the wall. Then look around the whole basement for additional signs of water intrusion. Water heaters, washer & dryers or other items up on blocks, pallets, etc. can be a clue of a chronic water problem. Look to find all the possible water sources like water heater, water softener, washing machine, HVAC condensation lines, bathrooms, foundation cracks, plumbing leaks from above. Exterior stairwells with a clogged drain just outside the basement door can be the source. Many times the drywall or carpet has been replaced, but the wall framing has not, so look inside basement closets or any place where the wall framing may be visible. Don’t forget to ask the homeowner and read the disclosure statement, if available. Once you have exhausted all possibilities, just write it up as water stains found, document if it was wet or dry, recommend contacting the homeowner for explanation and move on.

4 Likes

That says it all right there.

2 Likes

okay okay, I’m going to tell you what happened! The dog pee’ed on it! There, mystery solved!

3 Likes

That’s it. So they installed a new carpet and painted the floor so they could sell the house. LOL

2 Likes

The house my Dad built in 1950 (that I still own and rent) doesn’t have a sump pump in the basement. Like Marcels, still dry as a bone. I agree that it is probably wicking moisture/dampness. Document it and move on.

2 Likes

My house doe’s not have a sump pump, It has a positive drain tied into the perimeter drain that flows to the low point on the property,

2 Likes