Mold killer

So if the moisture problem is solved, what product(s) are good for killing and cleaning the mold that is there? Or is expensive mold remediation the only way, even for small areas?

Bob.
You really should do your IAC2 certification. It will be a wake up call to your what I see is a suborn approach to understanding mold.
I have gone through the course 2 times.
The last time I purposely did not pass because I did not want to walk down the road that time after thinking about it, ( possible remediation )
Now I am going pass the cert.and will start to provide IAC2 inspections-in Montreal.
Not many IAC2 certified here.
Client 2 weeks ago went to a engineering firm if I am not mistaken.
The lab results were from Ontario.
Dam all kinds of labs in Montreal.
High humidify and favored conditions for organic growth in Montreal and the province of Quebec.
My arthritis knows that all to well.:frowning:

Sorry, I should’ve been more clear in my question, say I have a moisture problem and mold in a small area…if I solve the moisture problem and there is still mold that I can’t dispose of, which biocide would be best to clean that with? Bleach? As far as encapsulating, do I reasonably have to do that for a small area (I’m 31, healthy male with only little allergies) if that helps?

Before remediation you have to find the food source. Moisture or high humidity…
The reason behind the re-occurrence of the mold is conditions.
Moisture and temperature.
As for cleaning, a stick of dynamite and a nuclear fusion meld down are highly effect remediation remedies.
Just do not get sick doing it your self. WOIW man you play with fire for what $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Need help hire a professional instead of getting sick and saving WHAT?.
Wow please sir** hire a professional** and save your families heath and your homes or businesses financial heath.:mad:

Thanks for your reply Robert. I know where the moisture problem is coming from, a water leak, and that will definitely be addressed. As far as remediation, I have had the mold tested and mycotoxins were not found. So, because it is a small area and because I am a relatively healthy 31 male living here, I do feel comfortable doing it myself, but was just wondering advice on what should I use to kill/clean it with. If you still think I am incorrect, please let me know. And to be honest, it’s tough to accept the advice of the mold inspector who came here because I’m not sure if they are more concerned about their pocketbook than what really needs to be done. I look forward to hearing from you.

Alan
Soap and water.
The area that has been letting in the moisture first and foremost must be sealed. All moisture infiltration stopped.
Then soap and water son.
Make sure you install a drape of plastic that separates all non effected areas of concern.
A quarantined area.
Encapsulate the effected area.
You can spread the contamination if you do not.
Plastic drop sheets are inexpensive.
Painters tape or a cheaper duck-tape.
Change the water frequently.
You must be methodical in your procedures as not to cross contaminate any area that is clean.
A full body suite can be bought for 15 dollars at the box store along with goggles, gloves, etc.
Tape the gloves inside the body suite.
The water will contain all the spores.
Think ahead and plan it out beforehand.
Disregard your cloths, the body suite your purchased, in a garbage bag along with anything else you will be throwing out. ( everything you worked with.)
You can do it in the bathroom as the last place to cleanup.
Have your area of eliminating the contaminated water also boxed off. Lets say your toilet bowl.
Drape plastic on the floor sealed with tape. Seal the shower stall medicine cabinet remove all towels etc. Your prep work is everything.
Take exacting measures.
If I am missing something excuse me.
Others might help.
Good luck.
Look up the information on Google.
Good luck.

http://www.aasupply.com/html/mold_remediation_what.html

We carry Sporicidin because it has some features that other biocides do not:

It is the only biocide certified by the EPA for use indoors, including inside of air ducts.
Does not stain surfaces like bleach or other biocides.
Provides a guaranteed kill and after decontaminating a surface, it leaves a residual bacteriostatic affect for up to six months.
Has a pH level of only 7.5 which means it can be painted over with most paints. Instructions for use are included. is on mold contaminated gypsum wall board and OSB (oriented strand board) that has not been seriously water damaged. Sporicidin is the product of choice because it is far more economical than wall and ceiling replacements and is much less likely to ever become recontaminated than brand new wall board or OSB. The reason is that new OSB and wall board already have the mold spores present in the materials they are made of and only require moisture to start the growth process. Building materials have a residual protection within the materials after they have been treated. The University of Maryland and Georgia State University have both proven this to be true.

The Sporicidin application guide does not authorize the use on nonporous materials such as drywall. http://www.americanairandwater.com/Sporicidin-application.htm.

True but should work on the foundation walls.

Drywall they can replace.

So what would you recommend on wood framing with no signs of visible mold?
Tons of foreclosures and most have mold but these people are not buying them with intent to fork over another $20,000 or so.

Wood framing without mold growth, inside a containment area, can be just HEPA vaccuumed and damp wiped with soap and water.

You raise a very good point Bob. There are a lot of homes just sitting empty. The empty ones I have seen–well, they should just tear them down. Cannot imaging the health issues, not to mention they have been stripped for metals. The values are on a steady decline.
When the time comes (meaning real jobs and employment) we need healthy new homes and not the lead, mold, damp houses, rotted wood–the list goes on.

:):):):):slight_smile:

Very interesting information. Thank you all for your advice. James, do you have the link of the study that shows even dead mold can cause cancer? It seems a little weak research to conclude dead mold can cause cancer based on one study. From what I have read, research on the health effects of mold have not been conclusive. I’m not saying you are wrong or that I am not grateful for the advice I received (I most definitely am grateful), just trying to get closer to what is the really proven truth about mold. Thanks again.

So Alan if you have truly grasped or understood any of the information here, then it should lead to only one conclusion.
( GET THE** PROFESSIONAL** TO DO THE WORK.)
You have entered the InterNACHI home inspection message board.
Please tell your friends about InterNACHI.
Some of the MOST gifted and devoted individuals in the home inspection industry give of themselves freely for the advancement of the industry and ALL FOR PUBLIC AWARENESS AND SAFETY.
They have given you FREE ADVICE AND COVERED less than .01% of what you should be aware of concerning, ( Mould is the common word for any Fungus.)
Washing, cooking, air humidifiers, condensation and leaks from the outside all produce the kind of indoor moisture that mould needs to grow.
Starting to see the bigger picture I hope.:slight_smile:
The hypothesis has been made, the evaluation concluded ( lab results ) if I understand you correctly, upon the type and strains of organic growth Fungi that entered the residential building, and the location of nourishment.
As for your statement about mycotoxins.
There is ongoing studies trying to determine the many adverse affects of fungi and its many strains.(Chemistry / Elements & Compounds) any of various toxic substances produced by fungi some of which may affect food and others of which are alleged to have been used in warfare

There are other fungi that can produce ill wanted effects Alan.
http://healthandenergy.com/mold’s_harmful_effects.htm
Science is just starting to understand organic growth and label the ill effects.
Schools and hospitals being the origins of the studies.
I could be mistaken.

This should lead to to only one final conclusion.
As I stated before Alan.
" LET THE PROFESSIONAL FINISH THE JOB."
Its not about money its about health!!!
Just my opinion.
PS: The black plague to wars millennium ago all have all used words that describe the many strains of Fungi…
Its everywhere.

Mycotoxins are only a small piece to the puzzle.

That is it!!!
I am buying a bubble and having pure oxygen pumped in till the day I die.

Please nobody visit with sharp objects.

haha, that is funny Bob, unfortunately that’s what some of these mold companie$ make me feel like sometimes. Thanks for the info Robert, I do appreciate the advice I have been given on this great forum. I am leaning towards having a professional do the work, but what I am finding is a lot of conflicting information. For example, one of the links you provided is a press release, to be honest, I hold a lot less weight of what I would read in one of those versus what I have read from the EPA and center for disease control and prevention.

Some of the quotes from the relatively valid resources I have found “Extreme exposure to very high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and in some cases death; fortunately, such exposures rarely to never occur in normal exposure scenarios, even in residences with serious mold problems.” http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/indoorenv/mold.html “Contradicting research results exist regarding whether toxigenic mold found indoors causes unique or rare health conditions such as bleeding in the lungs. Research is ongoing in this area.”
“Molds are ubiquitous in nature, and mold spores are a common component of household and workplace dust. However, when mold spores are present in large quantities, they can present a health hazard to humans, potentially causing allergic reactions and respiratory problems.
Some molds also produce mycotoxins that can pose serious health risks to humans and animals. Some studies claim that exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and in some cases death. Prolonged exposure, e.g. daily workplace exposure, may be particularly harmful. Research on the health effects of mold has not been conclusive. The term “toxic mold” refers to molds that produce mycotoxins, such as Stachybotrys chartarum, and not to all molds in general. Symptoms caused by mold allergy are watery, itchy eyes, a chronic cough, headaches or migraines, difficulty breathing, rashes, tiredness, sinus problems, nasal blockage and frequent sneezing.”

From those pretty valid resources, I don’t get the same sense that a relatively healthy, 31 yr old has to hire a professional. Again, they could be wrong, I could be wrong, and I am slightly leaning towards just using a professional, but I just want to get closer to the truth and not just sold fear if it is not the truth.

Alan I show you the truth and all links…
You make the decisions.
Its an interesting subject.
Best of luck.
"Molds are ubiquitous in nature, and mold spores are a common component of household and workplace dust. However, when mold spores are present in large quantities, they can present a ( probable ) health hazard to humans, potentially causing allergic reactions and respiratory problems.
What you seem to miss Alan is the can also ruin your home.

Its had to get a handle on .01 % of the information.
Then there mycotoxins.

Thanks again Robert. Everyone’s different, personally I take your links with a grain of salt because it is a press release that really anyone can write, and along with your other links don’t seem as valid as the EPA and the Center for disease control and prevention links I showed which seem to show conflicting information than your links.