mold license in missouri

is there a mold inspection license in the state of missouri or do you just need to be certified

Mold Testing
In most cases, if visible mold growth is present, sampling is unnecessary and the money spent on testing could be better spent on clean-up. Remember, there are no federal or state regulations regarding indoor mold growth or individual exposure limits for homes or offices.

– Sampling for mold does not assess health risk.
– Mold testing is not standardized.
– There are no Missouri or Federal laws that set limits or standards as to what types or levels of mold exposure or of mold presence are healthy or unhealthy.
– Neither Missouri nor the Federal Government “certifies” any individual or firm claiming such designation of mold tester. In Missouri, mold testers may receive a business license; however, since it is not a regulated industry, no standards or levels of training are required to become “licensed.”
– Mold will always be found in testing. It is everywhere and there will always be some level of mold.
– Cleanup methods are the same regardless of the type of mold.

No licensing require in mold in Missouri. You should be well trained or at least make very clear with your clients your limitations. I have seen some inspectors in my area get sued out of business, so be careful. If you need any guidance such as interpreting lab results, feel free to give me a call. 573-761-3581.

Mold is everywhere, and part of the natural environment. Some people are allergic to dairy, some peanut butter, some molds. There are hundreds of different types, and any person can be allergic to some, or none, or all.

Like Billy said, there are no federal, state, or local levels that are deemed toxic.

Stay away from mold testing.

I have tested homes that people got sick in, and the mold levels where higher outside than inside. Go figure that one.

Stop going by the total count of all molds and just be concerned by the considered toxic ones If you ever want to learn how to read a lab report, please feel free to contact me.

Been to court about mold; twice. I must know more than you.

Mold counts are dependent on area and weather conditions, and even if there are trees and vegetation in the area, whether the home utilities are on, the level of the thermostat settings, and many, many others.

All it does is fill the pockets of attorneys. Beware.

**CDC **Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The term “toxic mold” is not accurate. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous. Hazards presented by molds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common molds which can grow in your house.
Couldn’t resist, I try ignore HI’s and mold, seems to be all about the money at any cost to public.

Maybe someone could list all the “toxic molds” and end the confusion :slight_smile:
Everyone have a pleasant evening

Doug and Gary are right, don’t get drawn into the mold hype, the lack of standards has given some dishonest contractors dollar signs for eyeballs. Testing is rarely needed and can’t answer the questions and concerns your client will have. “Toxicity” and “black mold” are at the peak of the mold hype machine and have been improperly used to describe and dramatize non-issues. You are never really dealing with a mold problem, you are usually dealing with someone’s perception of a mold problem. With a minor amount of investigation you will quickly see how blown up mold has become.

The three most important things in real estate mold are: Moisture, Moisture, Moisture.

There is a difference between toxic mold and considered toxic mold. For some people who do not understand simple english language let me explain. Lets use it in a sentence with and without. “Doug is smart”. “Doug is considered smart.” Different meanings totally.

My suggestion to you is to read “Worldwide Exposure Standards for Mold and Bacteria”. You will then realize how stupid your comment was.;-):shock:

The use of a biocide, such as chlorine bleach, is not recommended as a routine practice during mold remediation, although there may be instances where professional judgment may indicate its use (for example, when immuno-compromised individuals are present). In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area, as a background level of mold spores comparable to the level in outside air will persist. However, the spores in the ambient air will not cause further problems if the moisture level in the building has been corrected.
Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings, EPA 2001

It is impossible to eliminate mould from the living space of humans… …Whereas damp, (not mould) may have a causal association with adverse health effects, indoor mould, as commonly seen, has not been shown to have a causal association with adverse health effects.
World Health Organization Guidelines For Indoor Air Quality Dampness And Mould, July 2009

There’s plenty more where those came from.

You cannot just pick parts of an article without concluding the rest of the article.

So you are saying there are no health conditions or diseases associated with mold?

Did I not read somewhere that Missouri was going to require separate licenses for HI, for mold and for energy/audits/air quality for a total of 3 that should boost the economy for the politicians :mrgreen::D:D

…and for the educational providers. I wonder how much money these “educational providers” kick-back to the state.

That sums it up.

Missouri had a duplicate of Kansas’ radon bill last year but it did not go any where.

First of all, no I’m not saying that. But…

I’m not posting whole documents, that’s a request made in order to distract from the discussion. The sources above are readily available. Pick a reputable organization and read their information about mold. It will always include something like the following:

  1. Mold is everywhere, inside AND outside the home
  2. It is impossible to remove all spores from a home
  3. Some molds produce mycotoxins
  4. Mycotoxins, like many other factors, may cause (long list of possible symptoms) in certain people
  5. Controlling the moisture is the key

It’s funny how our grandparents always talked about the good ol’ days, they really must have been better since apparently mold suddenly became really toxic in the last 15 years. Logic is screaming at the top of it’s lungs…

Since mold is everywhere and I bring it in my house(including “toxic” types) just by walking in and out then how can I protect myself from mold exposure?

The answer for most people should be, “You can’t and you don’t need to”. The vast majority of people, even those with allergies or asthma do not react adversely to mold spores. So yes, there are health effects but they aren’t the BLACK FUNGUS OF DEATH fears presented in the media. Even if health affects are a possibility due to a mold problem found in a residential setting, home inspectors or any one of the many labs which ”interpret” mold tests are ill-equipped to make that diagnosis. Perhaps after thousands of dollars worth of medical tests that may be a possibility.

Mold affects different people differently, so does bacteria, dust, pollen, chemicals, etc., etc., all of which are in the home. The numbers of people verifiably affected by “toxic” mold are disproportionately smaller than the number of people hysterical about it. Trying to pin down mold mycotoxins as the cause of health affects is like trying to determine which water droplets hit which of your parts during your shower. “Toxic” is a term thrown around by people like Sharon Kramer and Gary Ordog and the attorneys they work with as they attempt to make money off of peoples unfounded fears.

Bill and Doug both posted excellent links with good information about all of this. Everyone should read and memorize them.

Here’s a great example of the mis-information out there. A calm voice telling you you are going to die… Take note of the word “products” at the bottom of the page.

“It’s important to recognize the symtoms of mold exposure in your body…” The last “symptom” they list is death. I almost missed it I was laughing so hard.

First, mold can cause death. I have seen it happen to my clients and even a family member. There has been too many studies out there that prove you are wrong anyway. Try actually reading some of the stuff you post instead of just taking snippets out of it to try to prove a point that you cannot successfully make.

Another thing is mold has always been a problem, not just recently](*,)

Mold can also cause blue cheese. I love blue cheese.