mold schools

Originally Posted By: al
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can anyone tell me anything about mold schools,are they worth the money are they beneficial.I see Nachi recommends one on there site does anyone know anything about it ,THANKS

Originally Posted By: gbell

What are you looking for Al? The one day course put on by Hometest and several other labs will show you what to look for and how to test. The level 2 course will show you how to write up a mold survey. This is what the IH needs to write a remedation plan. Before you get in to the mold testing check around there are a wide range of lab fees. e-mail me if you have any other questions.

Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

November 5, 2002

• FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE * * *

NACHI will award continuing education credit to members who participate in MoldREPORT training. The seminar is being presented in cities nationwide by MoldPro International, LLC, a full service indoor air quality investigation, consulting and training firm.

The MoldREPORT training is a practical, hands-on seminar providing home inspectors the knowledge and confidence to immediately perform affordable, scientifically valid mold inspections. MoldREPORT is a system designed by top indoor-air quality industry experts and provides home inspectors the tools necessary to accurately and easily perform inexpensive Level-1 mold investigations. The system produces a comprehensive, easy to understand interpretive report and offers a rapid turn around time.
The MoldPro International four-hour seminar gives an overview of indoor air quality issues as they pertain to mold, and complete education on how to perform MoldREPORT investigations. The training includes hands-on instruction on sampling methods and strategies. Participants will receive invaluable information on sources of equipment and supplies needed to perform indoor air quality testing. MoldPro International offers free follow-up consultation service to all individuals who complete the training, participation in its alliance partnership referral program, and certification as a MoldREPORT Investigator. The cost of the seminar is $195.00. NACHI members will receive a discounted course fee of $175.00.

To register, contact MoldPro International toll free: (866) 262-0909.

Here’s some more on it:

Frequently Asked Questions about MoldREPORT Training

What is MoldREPORT? MoldREPORT is a mold investigation system designed by top indoor-air quality industry experts and provides home inspectors the tools necessary to accurately and easily perform inexpensive Level-1 mold investigations. The investigator completes a brief questionnaire describing observed conditions in the subject home, collects samples based on sampling strategy criteria, and submits the questionnaire and samples to American Home Laboratories. American Home Laboratories analyzes the samples, interprets the information presented in the questionnaire, and provides an easy to understand scientifically based interpretive report with an overall ?score? for the subject house. The report clearly indicates whether additional investigation and/or remediation are recommended.
Why should I offer MoldREPORT services to my clients? MoldREPORT will allow you to confidently provide your client with an inexpensive way to determine whether there is a mold issue in their home.
Why should I participate in the MoldREPORT training? The course provides specific instruction and direction regarding successful implementation of the MoldREPORT investigation process. Scientific information is only as valid as the weakest step in the data collection and interpretation chain. Improperly collected samples will produce invalid results. Training is also critical for defending the results of the MoldREPORT investigation. In addition to the hands-on training, you will receive free ongoing consultation with MoldPro International, certification as a MoldREPORT Investigator, and participation in the MoldPro International Alliance Partnership Referral Program.
What does the training consist of? The MoldPro International MoldREPORT training is an intensive, hands-on, four-hour seminar that provides a detailed description of the MoldREPORT process, including its benefits and limitations. There is discussion regarding client concerns, as well as tips on interpreting the final report and presenting it to the client You will receive an overview of mold basics, including what mold is, various health concerns and technical issues regarding the occurrence of mold. There is guidance on visual inspection techniques, as well as hands-on instruction on air, surface, wall, carpet and bulk sampling methods and strategies. You will receive instructions on how to accurately complete the MoldREPORT questionnaire, and how to label and package samples. Participants will receive invaluable information on sources of equipment and supplies needed to perform indoor air quality testing. Finally, there is a field test and a written exam with a certificate of completion provided at the end of the course. Training also includes an instruction manual and reference materials.
How much does it cost? The standard course fee is $195.00. NACHI members will receive a discounted course fee of $175.00.
Who are the trainers and what are their qualifications? MoldPro International requires that their trainers have a minimum four-year college degree, formal classroom education specific to mold, mold remediation and mold investigation, and extensive in-house training through MoldPro University. The trainers all have hands-on experience in the field performing complex residential and commercial indoor air quality evaluations and mold investigations. Several of the trainers hold advanced science degrees, and a variety of certifications including Certified Indoor Environmentalists, Certified Hazardous Materials Managers, Registered Environmental Assessor, Certified Asbestos Inspector, Hazardous Materials Supervisor, Certified Asbestos Inspectors, and others.
Who is MoldPro International? MoldPro International, LLC is a full service indoor air quality investigation, consulting and training firm. Services include evaluation and assessment of residential, government and commercial environments for microbiological contamination, providing strategies and protocol for corrective action, remediation oversight services and clearance testing. MoldPro?s Indoor Air Quality Training Division offers programs that provide knowledge and education to businesses, government organizations and individuals on a variety of indoor air quality topics. MoldPro International is an active member in the Indoor Air Quality Association and the American Indoor Air Quality Council.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I went to the Hometest one day course. Boy was I excited. Make more money doing mold testing.

THEN, I did some research. I decided NOT to do Mold testing based on my research. It's a very controversial issue. Some feel that the one day course doesn't qualify you. Others feel that it does, but it's ripping off the customer, Others think it's just fine. Others, think you need a lot more training than just a one or two day course. I don't think we all will ever agree on it.

Study, research, make up your own mind.

In any case, the continuing education never hurts. The rest is just a business decision.

If you want to see a wide range of Home Inspector opinions on this topic, go to www.inspectionnews.com and search the forum for "mold". Lots of good information, some bad information, and lots of varying opinions on the topc.

Here’s what I tell my clients when I see what I think might be mold.

What appears to be mold or mildew is present. This should be removed / cleaned and the moisture source eliminated.
The identification of the organism(s) is beyond the scope of this home inspection. If, after reviewing the below information, you have additional questions or want further investigation, I recommend that you contact a Certified Industrial Hygienist, usually listed in the yellow pages under "Industrial Hygiene Consultants" to determine if there exists an ongoing climate for incubation or microbial contamination and that steps be taken to eliminate this climate.

Mold, mildew, fungus and other toxic organisms commonly occur in areas that show evidence of, or have the potential for, leaking, moisture intrusion and/or inadequate ventilation. Any area or item exhibiting such conditions "can" be a health hazard to some people. There is a lot of controversy over the issue of mold and mold testing. Neither the New York City Department of Health or the Environmental Protection Agency recommend measuring airborne fungal levels. The EPA publication "A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home" states "Is sampling for mold needed? In most cases, if visible mold growth is present, sampling is unnecessary." Money spent on testing is not available for cleanup.

I recommend that information from the following sources be reviewed prior to spending any money on mold testing. You may want to identify and review other sources of information.
United States Environmental Protection Agency information available on the EPA web site at http://www.epa.gov/iaq/molds/moldguide.html provides a document titled "
"A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home"
Various articles on the Building Science Corporation web site at: http://www.buildingscience.com Click on the link "Learn More about Mold".
The New York City Department of Health Web Site at:
http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/doh/home.html
Use the search function for mold.

Originally Posted By: gbell

I do offer to test for mold if it is present at the inspection. I have mold testing written on the side of my truck. I get a lot of calls just for mold testing. As a matter of fact I have done more mold work this month than home inspections. As far as it being controversial I bet there was a time when Inspecting a home was looked on in the same manner.

Now don't get me wrong, I know there are inspectors out there that scare people to death. I just offer the service so people will have an idea of what they are dealing with. I am neither pro or con. I just stick with the facts.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: al

I to do mold testing and many of my customers are requesting it.I went to the Americas Mold Inspector School Dec 8th and was very pleased. Aerocell testing is not necessary,especially is you can visibly see mold on the premises. But what Im finding out is most my customers still want the testing so they know what they have been breathing.Makes sense to me.At Americas Mold Inspector School there attorney likened us to Xray technicians,They take the Xray then pass it on to the Doctor to read.We are not experts we merely gather the info to pass on to the experts.By the way Gary of Americas Mold Inspector told me Friday everyone that contacts them this month is getting there free referal service,they have gotten me a few jobs already."THANKS GARY"and there Americas Home Inspection referal.I also know as I have seen in previous post they are working very closely with Prolab,Prolab sponsors there courses.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I’m really curious as to how the results are interpreted, as there are no acceptable or unacceptable levels of mold found in the home. Ait sampling will almost ALWAYS come up positive for mold. Mold is everywhere.

When the CDC (yes, folks, the CDC) was asked if they could interpret mold test results for a client, the answer was NO. Absent of standards and levels, results are pretty much meaningless...

So, I'd like to know how these firms are providing "an overall score". What is this score based upon. Here in NY, anyone can take a tape specimen to the Cooperative Extension of Cornell University (every county has a facility) where their labs will analyze the sample brought to them. The fee is a whopping $25. This is good for HIs and homeowners, as well as RE folks. If the home has mold, they identify it, and tell the person that the protocol is to stop the moisture and clean up the mold. MNo further testing is recommended or needed...

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe F.

Good point Joe about there being no way to interprut the results since there are no standards. One thing I have found out about mold is that different types affect people diffently.

In the end, if you have mold it would be in your best interest to fix the problem which is causing it and of course to remediate the mold which is there.

I have spoken recently with several company representatives about mold and it really comes down to, you don't have mold problem you have a water problem. Get rid of the water and you will get rid of the mold.

IMHO...any mold testing that is done at this time should be limited to letting them know it is present and/or speaking with a professional that could tell them what that type of mold exposure means to them, such as an allergist.

In the recent weeks several companies have contacted me or sent me literature relating to mold discovery and remediation. This is really going to get interesting. I for one will do the testing but it is nice to know that I now have a few sources to remediate if it becomes necessary.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jremas

In my humble opinion, if there is visible mold present, then the cause of the mold needs to be identified. It may be a housekeeping issue in the bathroom, a ventilation issue or a moisture problem of another sort. If the client wants to know what type it is then OK with me. If it rules out stachybotrys and they have peace of mind then all the better. Bottom line is that the source of the problem must be fixed. Since we live with mold in everyday life, I would hold back on any airborne testing unless requested by a client’s allergist. I think it would be a good idea to get to know your client and find out if anyone in the family has any environmental allergies. If they do, ask them to see if their allergist recommends any airborne testing. Sometimes the airborne testing can find spores that the client may have an allergy to. If the house is still occupied by the buyer I would recommend testing a second time once the new occupants are in. Some of the mold spores may have been from plants that the seller owned and are no longer there. Let the allergist figure out what the possible source is. We just find it for them.

Hello Nick:

I hope all is well with you, and that you had a good summer. I wanted to
let you know about something I'm involved in in addition to my newsletter
Indoor Environment Business: a series of seminars on managing and combatting
mold problems.

We are calling the seminars Mold Programs 2003 (okay, so we need a better
title). We did these last year in four cities, NY, Philly, Baltimore, and
DC, and averaged about 50 attendees per city. This year, we are returning
to these cities, and also expanding to seven other sites: Charlotte,
Atlanta, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio.

Last year, we attracted a number of home inspectors without even marketing
to them, so I know this topic is of interest to your people. Our program
consists of two days -- Day One on managing and preventing mold problems for
building owners/managers, and Day Two on strategies for mold testing,
sampling, and remediation, designed more for abatement and testing
professionals. Attendees can go to either day, or both (most people choose
both).

Our registration is a low $259/day, or $439 for both days. I would like to
offer this to your members at the education/government rate of $229/day, or
$389 for both -- a 15% savings. just have your members mention NACHI for
the discount.

Please visit www.leadmoldconferences.com for more information, or call me at
(301) 765-0402 with any questions. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers,

Adam P. Goldstein, Publisher
Indoor Environment Business