More Moisture Discoveries

That is why I do pre-closing walkthroughs. Almost all the time, on new construction, nothing is done. They promise (in writing, no less!) but do nothing.

Local municipal code inspectors are proving, more and more, not to be reliable, professional, serving the public or have any real impact or provide any real benefit to the public who are paying their (higher than mine!) saleries.

Let the buyer beware. Smart buyers know this and hire good HIs.

BTW: Two of my inspections, this week, have walked away from the closing table because I documented that the promised fixes to new construction weren’t done. In both cases, the builders called, yelling, and threatened to sue me.

I, calmly and cooly, asked them if the repairs they had promised (in writing, and I had a signed copy!!!) to do were actually done. They tried to change the subject, but I kept them focused.

Then, both finally admitted that the fixes weren’t done.

I simply asked, “Why would you sue me for work that you promised, legally, in writing and to the buyer’s lawyer, to finish, before closing, but you didn’t?”

“What do I have to do with this, other than I proved that you didn’t do the work.”

“Here is my lawyer’s number. Call him. If you have no case, which I believe you have just proven to yourself and to me, I will be sure to sue you for court costs and lawyer expenses just to teach you that you are really too stupid to be in this business. Have a real good day.”

I, clearly, have no patience for stupid people.

just providing customer satisfaction
we learn to ply our trade from our rulers

But the way it was stated reinforces some “street” level “knowledge” such as: “Condensation is formed when the heat meets the cold”. On a simple level, the temps of the air or room average out but with different Rh’s more is actually going on. The phenomenon usually being described is condensation on windows, walls/ceilings and under roof sheathing: Air containing moisture comes in contact with a cooler surface below the “dewpoint” or condensation temp of the air/moisture mixture. We have to have contractors, handymen, tradesmen understanding these basic concepts to be able to analyse and supply the most energy saving and cost effective long term solution to problems such as attic condensation. Adding venting may actually cause more moisture (winter) and conditioned air (both seasons) to leave the house, not necessarily the best option.

Yes, John was correct when he possibly felt the radiating heat and saw with his IR camera, the temps of the ceiling radiating heat to the camera to form a temperature regime or gradiant image.

No IR needed yesterday
Here is one of those Texas anomalies
Registers condensing to beat the band, this has been going on for some time as you can see by the stains on the wall panels
This house had an under slab duct system at one time now they are full of water.
Foreclosed 93*F RH 94% inside when I arrived.

OOOHHH!!! bad design for a duct system, especially in area with high RH’s. You say “at one time”; are they nonfunctional, not comnnected to A/C system now?

How did you call it?

I guess I am old fashioned, I just pushed my hand through the (not so)dry wall. :smiley:

Here’s a couple of shots of a finished basement wall in Harwood Heights a Chicago suburb. Moisture was confirmed with moisture meter.

IR.jpg

IR.jpg

IR.jpg

IR_0006 (Small).jpg

For me, and maybe others, until I understand IR cameras better, it would be helpful to post the regular picture along side the IR picture.

Thanks.

yes, Lineus, always a good technique, especially for the report. Other wise it just looks like a weird Slurpee mixture, line Orange and Blueberry.

This was a Service Magic request for mold services and basically what I did was pinpoint an area of moisture intrusion and referred them to someone else for further evaluation.30 minutes and my client was happy that the entire wall didn’t have to be torn down. $11 to Service Magic $139 to me the contractor I referred and will do the job will send 10% my way as a referral fee… time spent on site 30 minutes. God Bless America!!!

Ok…back to the original post. First of all, before John jumps on me, I am NOT anti-infrared, and will eventually use the technology in some way in my business. But the signs of moisture intrusion are apparent in the pictures. The rot at the door jamb and trim, warped base board, the not-so-professional refinishing job. Those things taken together prompt me to pull out the moisture meter. I still must contend that there are few instances where moisture intrusion has been on-going where visible indications are not present. Lacking insulation in a vaulted ceiling? A scan with your (very inexpensive) laser thermometer will reveal it, although admittedly it is more difficult to authenticate photographically. Lacking or thin insulation in the attic can be affirmed photographically.

IR is not about not doing what you have learned to do in the past. You don’t need the IR if you see stains and the moisture meter says it’s wet. But I would be nice to know the extent of it that is not visible.

As you said, documentation is the key to an impressed customer.

I have never come across this much stuff in the past. I’d have to say I may have missed it all!

#1 & 2 was under a boxed Christmas tree in the attic. How many of us do not move personal property?