Move In Certified

For you guys that are marketing this, How many inspections has this added per month for you? Is there a large market for this?

In Denver it is becoming the norm. A couple thousand MIC’s have already been completed here and those have lead to thousands of additional typical buyer home inspections.

However, there is no market for it in any area of the world where you failed to tell the agents about it and never will be. So if you are waiting for the market to appear magically, you have a long wait.

What has worked well is to invite a few of the biggest listing agents in your market to lunch and lay these talking points on them: http://www.moveincertified.com/agents Then go back home and hire 4 assistant inspectors… 'cause you’ll need them.

I have talked to a few agents about the program. Each one that I talked to agree that MIC inspections may become the norm at some point in the future, however none of them were willing to approach their clients and try to push the cost of a home inspection onto the seller.

I really dont understand that mentality if you were going to sell a car you would tune it up and make sure it started right before someone came to look at it.

Im still trying to get more MIC inspections going.
I have had 3 people that I talked to about performing a MIC tell me that they didnt see a need for it and then later come back to me and say that they wish they had because the buyers inspector found XYZ and if they had just known about it ahead of time it could have saved them some money, or gotten their house sold faster.

On the plus side talking to those sellers ahead of time helped land me the job to inspect thier new purchase later.

Like an atom bomb, it takes some work to get it to blow, but once it does… stand back. The parabolic chain reaction is caused by three events occurring:

The first is that once an agent goes for it, they love it and keep giving you MICs.
The second is that each MIC leads to the sellers using you for the homes they’re buying (the sellers will already know you from the MIC inspection).
The third is the tour traffic using you for the homes they’re buying (those buyers have a copy of your report in hand).

Once you get that chain reaction started, a few MIC’s explode into steady full-time work. So like the Manhattan Project, MIC is worth a bit of upfront effort.

And one other huge advantage that makes it worth pushing these hard:

There are only so many inspections to be performed in your market area. Every MIC you do and every inspection that is additionally generated for you is TAKEN OUT OF THE POOL OF INSPECTIONS THAT NEED TO BE DONE.

Catching the inspections upstream, before your local competitor even smells them, causes that competitor to waste his marketing money. Cause the stream to dry up for your competitors.

I have had a request for seller inspection…and want to get going with MIC.
i can’t get the fetch report to let me sign up?!?! not sure what the problem is

do you simply leave a hard copy of your regular HI report for the seller & potential buyers to take/view?!?!

thanks

I did my first MIC a couple of weeks ago. What I did was inspect the house and made a report, the seller was given two weeks to correct the issues. I then did a re-inspect of the corrections only ans burned clean reports on discs for the kitchen table with brochures and BC’s. I also printed one copy to view on-site. I will also attend an open house to explain the inspection and meet/greet. I didn’t use fetchreport. I wanted the report right there in the house. I also added a few nachi inspector articles to each disc and info about me.

Nice spin on the concept Drew. Let us know how this works out for you, I having been thinking of trying something to this effect. Keep us posted.

Is there an inspection agreement for Moveincertified? Or do you use your standard agreement?

I’ve done all these things, and found them to be a total waste of time. No additional calls from potential buyers, and just the PIA of dealing with buyers inspector after the fact with differing opinions of what is major or not.

I’ll continue to do the seller inspections when asked, but I’m not marketing them strongly any longer.

It is so rare for an inspector who does an MIC to not also get the inspection on the home the seller is buying that, with the exception of when the seller is moving out of the local market, I’ve never heard of an MIC inspection not leading to two.

In other words, you can all but be guaranteed that when you do an MIC for a seller, he/she will almost certainly give you the inspection on the house he/she is buying.

Other buyers and listing agents aside, you get at least 2 jobs for the marketing cost of landing 1.

Unfortunately not all sellers are buying locally right now. Of those I have done, 1 was moving out of town, 1 was a couple moving into a retirement apartment community, and 1 was dead and his kids were selling it. So there are three of them for you right there with zero opportunity for additional inspections on that side of things.

Buyers don’t want to hire you to re-inspect because of a perceived conflict of interest.

Buyers who don’t buy the house, don’t want to hire you because they think you are more into selling a house than being “their” inspector. They have “their agent”, and their agents have “their inspectors” that they recommend.

There is nothing wrong with doing these, and there is a chance that you will land additional work because of them, but don’t believe the hype. (Your results may vary.)

You don’t get the 2nd inspection from the buyer, you get it from the seller again (on the home he is moving to). Most people in the U.S. move locally.

I am also big into meeting potential buyers viewing the home. Those people ARE looking in your area.

I was on an inspection today of a home that was still showing. Two potential buyers came and looked, and I shoved brochures and BC’s in their hand.

Mike,

Have you tried the sign up process at:
http://www.fetchreport.com/nachi

?

My point is, in this market, most people are NOT moving locally. If they are selling their home, they are either in foreclosure, or moving to a retirement home, moving for a job transfer, or are dead and their kids are selling off. No “seller” to be a buyer. Only about 1 in 50 home I’ve inspected in the last year was the traditional “we’re upgrading”, or “we’re downgrading” type of seller who is moving locally.

Wow. I’m in a town that no one ever leaves. Lots of people move, but not outside of town.

Times they are a changing!

Move in certified should be an easy sell, was not long ago a home inspection was the exception now it’s the rule. My get ready for sale Biz is a big money maker for me. You need to approach sellers and agents and just point out all the positives in the pre-sale inspection. Point out the obvious, find the problems before someone else does and the one most everyone forgets is the time on market. Everyday a home sets on the market it cost them money they will never recover.

What about combining the MIC inspection with the 100 day Mountain Home Warranty. The Warranty would add credibility to the inspection report. Hypothetically, a buyer sees a home for sale with a 100 day warranty added in.
The question would be: Can the warranty start date be moved up to when the home is purchased. For instance, Seller Original Inspection 01-01-2010, house sold on 02-01-2010 and the buyer goes off of your report or a follow up by the original inspector. Can we move the start date up to coincide with the buyer taking possession?
Overall; I will be marketing to the homeowner(seller) not the sellers realtor.