Multifamily Inspection

Seeking advice: I had a representative from a local residential apartment complex community (multiple buildings with multiple apartments in each). Specifically they requested (via email), “I am looking for someone that can see a multifamily property located in (upstate) NY. The property is (XYZ) Village Apartments. This would be an interior/exterior pictures and commentary. No inspection report to complete.” Am I restricted or what are my restrictions in this situation? I’ve never done a “commercial” inspection, although this seems far less intrusive than a regular residential inspection. I responded requesting the number of apartments they are seeking be inspected thus far and that’s it. What else should I be asking? Seems like a good opportunity don’t want to turn away the business unless it’s something that I am legally not permitted to do. Any and all info is helpful. Thanks!

2 Likes

Things to consider, and more will chime in.

1. What are your states requirements for commercial inspections?
  2. Will your insurance cover you?
  3. What standards of practice will be using?
  4. What is your scope of work?
  5. Are you using their form or checklist?

Well, that depends on what you are inspecting, your standards of practice and the agreed upon scope of work.

You need to find out what they want (or need).

That description is vague and nonsensical.

1 Like

This sounds to fall under the “Field Services” category of the Inspection Industry.

https://www.sofi.us/whatisfieldservices.html

FYI… This “segment” only exists because of the extremely low pay, usually to overly inexperienced “surveyors”!

2 Likes

How much are you paying? That should help you decide if you want to move forward. And by your description I’ll bet it’s not going to be very much.

1 Like

It may not be a bad gig. I have been doing field observations for this one company for years. Its plug and play stuff. Mostly data collection and a few quick notes about defects. The pay is not great but it can help fill in or round up a week.

I see the split some of these multi firm inspectors are getting and it is sure better than that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I stopped on my way to an afternoon inspection yesterday and took 6 pictures of a trailer house for $100. The company I did it for told me to name my price. Literally out of the truck for 5 minutes. These side gigs can work if they are timed right. I had a week to get it done and it happened to be right on my way yesterday.

1 Like

When things get really slow, that gig work can keep the lights on.

1 Like