My apologies to Senator Gary Tapp

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

law. Anti-consumer/no-NACHI legislation is wrong.

I couldn't let our guys risk being under the tyranny of another ASHI run licensing board (I hope KREIA understands this). NACHI members in our other 49 States, Canada, Singapore, Europe, Bahamas, the NACHI Charitable Foundation in MD, and InterNACHI are all indirectly adversely effected by such ANTI-NACHI/ANTI-Consumer legislation. I won't go into the NJ thing again here but we all know what happened there. A real embarrassment to poor Governor McGreevy.

Anyway, after throwing up, I confess... I went ballistic.

I figured (incorrectly) that someone bought a politician and so went into action 3 days ago to retaliate.

In these past 3 days I:

Set up a Consumer Action Group.
Got our Anti-trust attorney to start preparing law suits.
Hired a private investigator.
Rented office space in KY.
Asked for HICAG's support at www.consumerprotection.ws .
Formed BribeWatch.
Registered the domain name bribewatch.org
Started building the website BribeWatch.org It is only in its beginning phase: http://66.45.229.14
Ordered Hatch Ad Agency to create full page ads. They really aren't a political ad agency but they came up with a couple killers.
Built KY section so as to utilize the publicity of our 3.3 million hits/month site http://www.nachi.org/stats.htm
Hired an investigative reporter to write a story about political corruption in KY.
Set up KY-based grass roots organization.
Etc. etc.

Anyway, come to find out tonight that Senator Tapp is already working on fixing this bill so that NACHI, which has a strong presence in KY, isn't excluded.

Ooops. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

My sincere apologies to Senator Tapp. All I hear is good things about him in KY. I'm very pleased to hear that KREIA, an organization I very much respect, is already working closely with the Senator on our behalf and on behalf of the KY home buying public. Thank you KREIA.

I grew up in Pittsburgh. I have family in WV and KY. My relatives were all coal miners. I should have known better. I've been out in the North East too long I guess.

Anyway, I think KY shouldn't let outsiders come in and run KY. Toward that end I am personally supporting KREIA any way I can. Not just because they are in KY, but because they have the best stand-up guys in their association including NACHI members Erby, now Michael Patton, and especially Michael Green.

Therefore I am offering any inspector who lives in KY free all-paid membership in KREIA, KOI (NACHI's KY Chapter), and NACHI.

I am paying for any inspector in KY to join all three. I'll send you my personal checks for you to pay all your membership fee/dues.

I will pay all fees/dues for the first 100 inspectors who want membership in all three great organizations. You have to be an inspector. Yes, Michael Greens little helper qualifies.

I don't want anyone to worry I'm stacking the deck so these funds (my own personal money) are available on a first come, first serve basis. Anyone can avail themselves of this money. I'll ask for nothing in return other than request that you act according to what you feel is best for your industry. No strings.

No NACHI money will be used. I'm offering you my own personal money.

I want KY to be free of outside influence so this offer is only available to inspectors who actually reside in KY. Not retroactive.

Any inspector wanting to join all 3 can just email me at nick.gromicko@nachi.org so I can get you this money.

I know many members outside of KY are going to think this is a big mistake and that I should launch the nukes now in retaliation. All I can say is trust me. I trust KREIA and our fellow KY NACHI members. They in turn trust the Senator.

Again, I am very sincere in my apology, my personal offer, my trust in KREIA, and my faith that this will all work out.

Nick Gromicko

Originally Posted By: kpapp

As you know, I dont live in Ky and you think I would be a prime canidate to complain but there is absulety nuttin to complain about I can offically say congrats on being one hell of a man to relize that you made a mistake and corrected it and a good upstanding citizen for all of the great people in KY, watching out for the ppl of Ky even though you are an “outsider”…Good Job Nick icon_biggrin.gif

Ken Papp

--

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

Nick

I applaud you on wanting to correct your mistake and can appreciate your sincere apology to Senator Tapp . If , as you stated , this is your personal funds and no NACHI monies will be used , no NACHI member outside of KY. should have any input !

However , do you truly believe informing all NACHI members of your intentions to be appropriate ? I'm sure there are many members of this organization who are only " hanging on " and just getting by from inspection to inspection , who will feel deprived since you are only addressing a chosen few . When the grand poopah of any org. selects only one group in the fold to assist , what happens to the moral of the remaining flock ?

I'm sure some will not agree with my thoughts, and others will not comment out of fear of being an outcast, but I for one feel you can sometimes provide too much information !

Since this is truly your money , spend it anyway you wish , just keep it to yourself so some don't feel you and possibly NACHI are not treating all members on an equal basis !!!!

Don't mean to burst your bubble , just input from a member who is trying to get by from inspection to inspection during these slow times ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Thank you for your kind words gentlemen.

One member's gain is not another's loss.

If I gave the same money to the NACHI Foundation they still couldn't cover all the victims of uncertified inspectors that would result from this legislation. This is less expensive for me. We don't need KY families living in tents outside their own homes like we had in FL.

And we certainly don't want KY to be run from Des Plaines.

We must recognize that this bill would not only indirectly hurt NACHI members in other states and hurt home buyers in KY, but probably wipe out many good independent and/or NACHI inspectors in KY. We've seen it all before with other boards operating without NACHI members on them. We all know NACHI is different. We are an open association beholden to no one. We don't even have a banner ad on our websites. Licensing boards void of NACHI integrity end up corrupt.

And lastly, I'll also buy any KRIEA member a membership in NACHI so that he/she can enjoy http://www.nachi.org/benefits.htm but I want to be very forthright here... I want all the inspectors in KY to belong to KREIA and/or KOI for a reason: The "K"'s in both those organizations stand for KY, not Illinois.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Nick,

I just want to applaud your action. ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) As you may know, I am one of those struggling from inspection to inspection guys in my first year of which Gary wrote. What you have done for the folks in Kentucky helps them, without harming anyone in KY or anywhere else.

Thank you for standing up for NACHI and for what you believe in. It just reaffirms why I am proud to be a NACHI member, and glad that you are the
"head director dude in charge"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Good job Nick,

I am sure that should get the attention of some KY's.

Joe Myers

I wasn’t trying to get attention. BELIEVE ME… if I want attention you’ll know I want it. I quietly left it in the hands of people who are elected to both think things out and work things out… and I now believe Senator Tapp, KOI and KREIA will do just that for the inspectors and people of Kentucky.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Ted Shields

Nick,

I applaud your efforts in regards to KY licensing. I am new in business and was apprehensive about pending legislation. I did attend the meeting conducted by KREIA, it does sound as Sen. Tapp is on the right track, he needed help in tweaking his bill and was asking for HI input.

I am not a member of NACHI (for $ reasons) but I do feel at home here and appreciate the wisdom of the members here

Sincerely,

Ted Shields

Kentucky Home Inspection LLC

Well Ted you don’t need any money to join NACHI, KOI, and KREIA. I’ll pay for you to join all 3. I’ll pay all your fees. Call me now on my cell phone at (610) 999-1549 and we’ll make arrangements for me to send you all the money you need.

This offer is good for anyone in KY. I'll personally pay you to join NACHI, KOI and KREIA. Please take my money.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Nick,

I'll take your money... How about a bag of hundreds? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Joe:

Can't give it to you. Just in case they pass this bill, I'll need the $ to buy reporters in KY to interview home buying victims of uncertified inspectors. I'll make http://www.nachi.org/hiexperience.htm look like a walk in the park. This time we'll have the sponsors of the bill to publicly blame. Oooops.... I just remembered.... your the Ethics Chairperson of NACHI. We should end this conversation about bags of cash. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Anyway, many think I've gone soft what with buying KY inspectors membership in KREIA in hopes they fix this. I haven't. I just really trust these KREIA guys to do what's right. They've come to realize that the reason ASHI & NAHI look so relatively peaceful and supportive on this issue is that THEY'RE ALREADY IN! The world's best and largest home inspection association isn't. And that's who I work for.

I realize that we didn't draw first blood, but I'm going to try and be a good sport anyway.

Nick

Another KY home inspection bill is being proposed. I had the privelage of reading it.

In my opinion it is much better for NACHI, for REALTORs, and for builders. However it is much worse for KY inspectors in general. It is basically the "Home inspectors buy insurance to protect the agents" bill. It will also be much more expensive for all KY inspectors and require KY inspectors to assume much more liability .

The only advantage we have with Senator Tapp's existing bill is that it is farther down the road. We must use that advantage and get it passed quickly. I therefore will hold my nose and support it as it is the lesser of 2 evils...provided we get some quick simple help from KREIA.

I am hereby asking the board of KREIA to quickly release a statement in reference to the bill introduced by Senator Tapp, recommending that a member of NACHI be added to the list of people that will make up the licensing board. No we can't wait for another KREIA board meeting...get on the phones and get the statement released quick.

KY cannot suffer a "stacked-deck" home inspection board nor can we let the real estate industry catch up to us with their brand of licensing. KY home inspectors and associations must now all hold together on this. NACHI has always supported KREIA, now KREIA must support NACHI.

If we can't fix Senator Tapp's bill, I have to lobby the REALTORs in KY to defeat it.

If we can get Senator Tapp's bill fixed, then I'll end up fighting against my fellow REALTORs in KY to stop them...or more likely go to work rounding up support for Senator Tapp within the real estate community.

Regardless of what KREIA decides to do, or worse...not to do, my attorney has advised me that I should not and cannot be a REALTOR doing this.

I was going to take some time off from real estate anyway but remain a REALTOR and keep my license active. Senator Tapp has forced me to go much farther: Therefore after a 13 year wonderful career in real estate, this coming Monday the 26th of January, I will resign my position at RE/MAX, quit the National Association of REALTORs, and forfeit my real estate license.

Nick

Originally Posted By: kmartin

icon_evil.gif I am resigning my membership effective immediately. After learning of Mr. Gramicos association with real estate agents and his meddling in the Ky license bill (not to mention his off the wall assault on Senator Tapp) I have no choice but to resign and stay as far away from the NACHI name and organization as possible. This “so called” largest home inspector organization in the world was the easiest to join association I have ever seen. Take a short test, send some money and your in. Anyone can build a large organization with such easy to join requirements, no proof of previous experience required, no proof of inspections performed, almost no requirements! And where were you Mr. Gramico over the last 2 years as when we were driving to Lexington for the meetings on licensing and discussing the issue? Not here I assure all. Do you feel you can push Kentuckians around by threatening? And where do you get the " Home Inspectors buy insurance to protect the Agents" statement you made? You make it seem as if it requires us to buy E&O insurance and it does not! (General liability only. As in most service industries) I have nothing but praise for the people on the board and the members of KREIA due the extensive self sacrifice of their own time and money to support a bill fair to us all. Nothing is perfect but we are getting there with the help of Senator Tapp and KREIA who ARE working for the consumer and our industry! By the way! If you would have disclosed you were affiliated with ANY real eastate organization I would not have joined! Sincerely, Kenny Martin

Originally Posted By: dkeough

kmartin

If you had read many of the posts, Nick has said he is/was a Realtor.
Just yesterday he explained because of the situation in Kentucky he is turning in his Realtors license. You may want to rethink resigning as Nachi is and will be the association that helps home inspectors now and in the future.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Kenny,

Despite whatever you think of Nick Gromicko, he has NEVER hidden the fact that he is a Realtor, and a successful one at that. Never once. Look in his profile. Read his many posts.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

From where I sit, Kenny is right. I get many emails sent to me from long time members all surprised to learn that I am a REALTOR. I’ve never hid it but I guess I didn’t make it clear enough. Spilt milk at this point as I am quitting real estate on Monday. I’m very sorry and sad that I didn’t disclose it enough. Forgive me. I feel horrible.

As for insurance... I know the current bill doesn't have an E&O requirement... it's death will result in a replacing bill that does have it. This will be very unfortunate and expensive for our NACHI members in KY.

As for NACHI membership requirements: http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm

Nick

PS. No one told me about or invited me to any meetings in Lexington when they were writing a "stacked-deck" licensing board bill. Obviously no one in KY followed the NJ fiasco. We're all guilty. However I have a duty to NACHI members in KY and world wide to kill any no-nachi legislation. I've been a REALTOR, involved with politics, inspections, and in marketing a long time and so I think I make for a pretty good lobbyist. But like a government employee turned lobbyist... I have to quit my day job.

PPS. Again, I am very sorry that so many didn't realize I was a REALTOR. I'm sick and heartbroken over this.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Nick,

It is in your profile that you are a ReMax Realtor, and you have posted that in so many threads that I can't imagine someone not knowing.

I don't think it is like you need to put on the front page of the web site:

BE CAREFUL THIS ORGANIZATION WAS FOUNDED BY A REMAX REALTOR.

Personally, I don't think you need to feel bad. I read all the time about all of these individuals who are on the fence about joining, and have to investigate anything and everything about NACHI before joining. It isn't hard to find out your background!

Don't feel bad, just get back to work ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Thanks Blaine:

I think this open message board allows people to know me after a while and so you must know how much I believe in being forthright. I'm criticized for not hiding enough. I am so sorry. This is not anything I was trying to hide. I goofed.

Nick

PS. Kenny, I know inspectors and REALTORs often see each other as opponents but if it means anything to you... in my entire wonderful career as a REALTOR... I never took a listing or worked for a seller. I was a most unusual buyers agent only. So I always was on the same side as the inspector in that we both worked for and had a fiduciary duty to the buyer. I don't mean to cloud up your post about my failure to disclose my REALTOR status here, but I just wanted you to know.

I believe that with Senator Tapp and KREIA’ support, we can fix this bill before it becomes law.

I trust them.

Nick

My last closing as a REALTOR is tomorrow morning at 9am. If I can get this one closed (and it is a big IF here), I will have ended my career with a perfect record of never losing a deal at closing (which sometimes happens).

I can't tell you today, but tomorrow I will reveal who my client is. I have his permission. It is an interesting wrap up and relates very much to NACHI and home inspections.

Didn't want to put a teaser here but I can't tell you until after it becomes public information.

Nick

PS. This will be a very emotional day for me tomorrow so I might take off till evening. I'll miss my RE/MAX friends so much.