My ex-convict construction employees kept borrowing my 220 extension cords

They take them from my shop and use them onsite at different projects we have going on. But they never return them.

So I had my electrician make me new ones in pink last month. It worked. Not one has been missing, since.

14 Likes

wow good idea…

15 Likes

Those 10 and 8 AWG cables aren’t cheep. I had 300’ feet of 6 AWG for long runs.
Things go missing. I never used it. Its frustrating.

220 volts went away before the 2nd world war.

2 Likes

Not sure I saw anywhere that 220 volts was mentioned…

maybe he meant (2x) 110v extension cords :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It says 220 right in the thread title. Rollie is correct, that terminology is been obsolete for 8 decades and should never be used again. :smile:

3 Likes

So what is the difference?

1 Like

The modern nominal voltage systems in the US are 120/240, 208Y/120, 480Y/277, etc. I think that what Rollie was getting at is no one should be saying 220 (or 110 for that matter) since those nominal systems have been gone for decades.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Seems like manufactures should get on board after so many years don’t you think? Otherwise, it can still be referred as a 220…which it still is.

1 Like

I’m not certain, but I believe in residential, most power companies are delivering 240V these days so that you use less electricity with the lower current. Most of my equipment was designed for 220V but doesn’t have a problem running on 240V. But I have 4 new buildings that are having 3-phase panels installed in each, as we speak. The electrical engineer assures me that my 220V equipment is going to run fine on 208V that we can draw from the 3-phase. I’ll believe it when I see it.

2 Likes

It has not been 220 for decades as was already stated several times. Check a voltage meter is you think it is 220.

Never said it was, just questioned why it is still referred to as a 220 and being sold as such.

1 Like

Just poor or lazy labeling by the manufacturer. In 1954 ANSI came up with a list of standard nominal system voltages for the US. Since then “220 volts” has been obsolete. This list may have been updated since it was published since I believe that the LV limit has been raised to 1000 volts. Voltages identified by system in a report should use the proper nominal voltage listed below.

3 Likes

I guess it’s just an old term still in use by us old people. Like “dialing” or “hanging up” a phone. Anyway, I’m just hoping my 240V equipment is going run on 208 from these 3-phase panels.

1 Like

There are a few ways to configure. Shouldn’t be an issue.