My First Commercial Insp. Tomorrow

I have never done one, but I could not pass up the opportunity. It is a restaurant w/ kitchen, 1850 sq. ft., don’t know how old. Any tips or advice would be great.

Stephen if send me your email address I’ll send you a few things to look out for.

Gary
hsspropertyinspect@yahoo.com
http://www.hsspropertyinspection.com/

Be sure to disclaim the kitchen refrigeration, cooking equipment and commercial grade dish machines. These areas should be inspected by commercial food equipment service companies like Hobart, etc;

Disclaim the Ansul fire supression system.

Pay special attention to bathrooms as plumbing leaks are common. Restaurants generally don’t fix squat unless forced to.

Should I disclose any obvious issues with any equipment?

That was fun, a nice change of pace from residentials. Thanks for your help.

Well, besides being fun, how did it go for you?

Any pictures?

Built a few in my career, so I am here with arms open for any help in the future. :):wink:

Glad things went well. Even though I know how to inspect and repair restaurant appliances/refrigeration, as an inspector I stayed away from the equipment. It is not part of a building inspection. When booking the restaurant inspection I always recommended hiring a cooking equipment/refrigeration service company for the kitchen equipment.

Good advice Erol.:slight_smile:

What I really enjoyed about this is that it was not compartmentalized like a house and the restaurant was open at the time so it was hectic but not frenzied. It was also a fairly old building probably 1950’s so there the usual electrical, HVAC, plumbing issues from a half century. My client did not care about the freezers, stoves etc. so disclaiming them was no problem. The a/c was in really bad shape. The two lowers supports for the fan motor had deteriorated and the only thing keeping it up was the drive belt. Overall it was a fairly easy inspection so it was a great way to get my feet wet.
I haven’t figured out how to attach photos yet.