my license

Originally Posted By: cmacgillivray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

does my Illinois inspection license give me the right to inspect home in another state?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Chris

You would need to contact the licensing boards of any other state that you wish to do business in, some are pretty open about reciprocity others can be very restrictive.
My home state (Massachusetts) only has a reciprocal agreement with one other state (Connecticut)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Chris,

Probably not! Unless the other state has an agreement with Illinois recognizing our license. With professional licenses there are often reciprocal agreements between states recognizing each other's licenses but in these cases I believe you still have to go through the process of applying to the other state and usually getting their license in return.

If the other state does not have licensing requirements, then you could conceivably do an inspection there. It will still be your responsibility to make sure that you are in compliance with any of the state or local regulations or laws that may apply to conducting business or inspections in that specific jurisdiction.

Hopefully, as our legislative thread develops it can be used as a reference for questions such as this. At this time , I am not aware of any states that have a reciprocal agreement with Illinois. Maybe others can inform us on this or the legislative thread if these agreements do in fact exist for Home Inspectors.

Great question, and one that should be at the forefront of legislative agendas in all states for the benefit of our members that are adjacent to state borders. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Have a GREAT Day!!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: dbush

Chris, what state are you wanting to do inspections in?

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"