Licensing in Illinois

I have been in the home inspection business for several years in Wisconsin. Every now and then I get a call from a border town in Illinois, which I turn down. I am now trying to move into Commercial Inspections, so I thought it might not be a bad idea to be licensed in Illinois as well, just for name recognition.

Illinois has a clause that allows for home inspection licensing reciprocity but does not mention the states with which there is reciprocity. I hope someone knows the answers to these questions, please:

• Does Illinois have reciprocity with Wisconsin?
  • If not, and in order to apply for a license in Illinois without taking the required courses, am I allowed to apply my credits/courses from my Wisconsin license?

Many thanks.

Arnold,

Check with WI if they include IL in their reciprocity, otherwise give the IDFPR at the toll free number below.

Good Luck,

Bob C

Section 1410.120 Application for Non-Resident Home Inspector License by Reciprocity

An initial applicant who desires a Home Inspector License by reciprocity and holds a valid Home Inspector License issued by a proper licensing authority of another jurisdiction with which the Division has a valid reciprocal agreement shall submit to the Division:

a) An application, provided by the Division, that is signed and fully completed by the applicant;

b) The required fee set forth in Section 1410.400, payable to the Department; and

c) A certificate of good standing from the applicant’s licensing authority.

(Source: Amended at 34 Ill. Reg. 8063, effective June 3, 2010)

Toll Free:1-888-4REGUL8 (1-888-473-4858)

Thank you, Bob. I’ll give it a try.

They answered immediately, as follows, in blue lettering so I can understand it without hurting my lips as I read:

“Illinois does not have any reciprocal agreements set up with any other states that require a home inspector license”

So, that’s that. Thanks for the help.