NACHI approved affordable Inspector Web Sites

Originally Posted By: Don West
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello to all,

I've been working with some of the NACHI chapters to provide websites for those that need them. They are non-templated, custom sites at a very affordable price. I spoke at the Atlanta Meeting Saturday and had some interest so Nick encouraged me to post here.

All the details are on my site and there is a sample Inspector site there.

Here is the link:
www.downtoearthsites.com

Feel free to call or email me from the site with questions or comments.

Thanks for your time.
Don West

Sorry folks, the images were broken, All fixed now.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

Originally Posted By: wpedley

Dear Mr West:

In regard to my recent post about Nick and his GREAT
offer to have someone get a makeover, I was not necessarily referring to
myself. I just don't like all the
negative things I here about "newbie" people entering
this profession. After all everyone had to start somewhere
and were all "newbies"at one time. I just have a problem
with the word and would rather see "entry level" used
instead.

I personally am very successful, I own and operate not
only this business but also a successful sporting goods
store and a contracting business. I don't need to be taught
how to run a business....I learned the hard way.....by doing. But thank you
for your concern.

BTW I like ReportHost and will continue to use it,
although I have other systems I use.

As far as a web site...I'm writing my own and will be up
in the near future. Thank you for the offer.

Sincerely,
Bill Pedley

--
BPedley
Inspecting for the unexpected

Hi Bill,

No offense intended, I just misunderstood your demeanor. That's easy to do when reading what others write. Hence, the invention of the emoticon.

And you are most correct about the term newbie. It's a very popular phrase in the industry I'm in too and over-used. I think it's just one of those "cool" words someone came up with to replace the more descriptive and less demeaning "entry level". Somebody's always gotta "cool up" the language it seems.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors and with your web site. I'm sure it will serve you well.

If I can be of help, let me know.

Originally Posted By: jgallant

Just so you know, when you sign up for ReportHost ( http://www.reporthost.com ), you get a free home page that has the following:

- Your contact info
- An email contact form (so your email address isn't exposed to spammers)
- Your company logo, if you've uploaded one
- Whatever text you want to write, you can format the text too
- Logos from professional organizations (NACHI, CREIA, ASHI, etc.)
- Keywords you enter to make search engines find you better (e.g. Radon testing, Mold testing, New construction, etc.)

It's a nice (free) way to get an effective website up quickly.

-Jim Gallant

--
-Jim Gallant
Owner, All Point Home Inspections - Poulsbo, WA www.allpointinspections.com
Co-founder, ReportHost (Web-based report writing service) www.reporthost.com

Hi Jim,

Yes I know about Report Host. Very nice service and a nice web site as well. The home Inspector Industry is not in short supply of reporting software and solutions. It’s quite amazing how many there are.

Now I'm going to ask some questions here purely to learn so please enlighten me if you don't mind.

I can easily post reports on the sites I develop if the owner wants to do that. There is one on my sample site as an example.

The nice thing is that the report can be ANY report created in ANY format. It's not software specific. Whatever software is used to create the report is simply instructed to print to a pdf file. .pdf printer drivers are readily available for $20 that will create a .pdf from ANY windows software. Then, it's just uploaded to the site for viewing if that's what the site owner wants to provide to his customer. Naturally, there would be a passworded login for the report buyer to get to it.

What I don't understand fully, from an inspector's point of view, is why one would want to post reports on the web in the first place. Isn't the report for the eyes of the purchaser anyway?

It seems to me it would be considerably more private and convenient for all parties, if the report were simply password zipped and emailed directly to them. Then they can do with it as they like. Print it, send it to their lawyer......just kidding guys.....whoa watch that now....no swinging! hey! I'm new here! I was just joking about the lawyer!!!

Seriously, am I missing what the advantage is to posting reports "online"??

Jim–

I like the quiz on your own Home Inspection Site.

That's an interesting feature to draw visitors in and highlight just how trained one's eye needs to be to do an inspection properly.

Do you know how many page views a month you get from that area of the site? I'd be curious to know as would others I'm sure.

Good job!

Don,

Since you asked, let me explain the philosphy of ReportHost. And yes, there are lots of software solutions for inspectors out there, and a zillion more web developers willing to build websites. :-)

Before becoming a home inspector, I was a software engineer for 18 years, specializing in web development since the mid-1990s (ASP, VB, Perl-CGI, Java, Oracle, SQL, MySQL, XML, XSL, blah blah blah). My specialty became front end stuff (user interface) after a while and I became focused on concise, effective communication of information via the web. Upon becoming an inspector, it made a lot of sense for me to leverage this skill, and ReportHost was born. I personally hate PDF files and consider it a travesty that so many agencies randomly and routinely publish documents that should be standard web pages as PDF files, just because they have a PDF converter. PDF files print nicely, but they're _awful_ to read on-line. It takes forever for the PDF reader program to load, then you're faced with bizarre scrolling and zooming that makes it virtually impossible to meaningfully absorb information. But that's just my opinion, and I know lots of inspectors give these things to their clients. I wouldn't. Web pages, in my opinion, are a vastly better way of delivering reports. They render almost instantly, scrolling and searching are entriely predictable. Advantages of reports being hosted on-line, specifically on ReportHost, include:

1. Easy delivery, just include a link in an email. No attachments necessary. No chance of viruses being included in the attachement. (viruses can indeed be attached to PDF files) No worries about clients trying to remember where they saved their downloaded attachment.

2. No need for your clients to download software to read their report. The acrobat PDF reader is over 8 megabytes in size to download. Lots of clients won't know where to get it if they don't have it, or how to install it once downloaded. PDF files are version specific too, so if you client has an older PDF reader than the converter you used to write your report, they may be seeing something different than the report you intended them to see.

3. Reports are archived indefinately. You and your client can view the report in the future simply by retrieving it from ReportHost's website. You the inspector can easily find previously published reports with our search feature.

4. You can easily "republish" reports with ReportHost by "reloading" them, modifying them and publishing them again. If you don't change the title, no fee is incurred (it's free).

An early version of ReportHost used passwords, but we found that a small percentage of people actually had difficulties with the notion of entering a password, so we instead rely on "unguessable URLs" to reports, where inspectors devise unique names for their published reports that are unguessable. There are no links referencing the reports, so search engines can't find them.

As for being able to upload reports of varying formats, if that's what you need to do as an inspector, then ReportHost may not be for you. But understand that ReportHost is _very_ flexible, and that I'd challenge you to envision a scenario that ReportHost wouldn't work for, except TREC reports, which are on our list to implement. I personally do all my inspection reports in ReportHost. My reports include both structural pest (WDO/WDI) and the "normal" report. But you can do either separately if you want.

Regarding the inspection quiz on my home inspection website I think typically the quiz gets about 3 to 5 people visit it per day, so it's not a huge draw.

-Jim Gallant

--
-Jim Gallant

That’s good and interesting information. And, as I said it’s a nice site and a good idea too. You’ve put a great deal of effort into it. Kudos!

And you're right there ARE tons of web developers out here looking to provide good solutions. And inspectors, and realtors, and lawyers.....that's what makes the world go 'round. All the choices we Americans have today make it even more important to choose carefully in every service one buys. Can't fault anybody for that.

Too bad on the quiz. Seemed like a good feature for your site and it's well implemented too. I would've thought it would get more views that 5 a day. Live and learn....

Jim,

You mentioned that the reports were in HTML. Makes sense as you said. I’m no fan of pdf either except for the fact they can be encrypted and passworded to prevent tampering.

But, am I missing something or can't an unscrupulous buyer or seller save an HTML report to disk and edit it to their advantage? Are they encrypted on the serverside prior to display in the browser. I know you CAN encrypt HTML this way. Is that what you do or am I just being paranoid to be concerned about such?

My own service agreement is HTML on my site but it's a breeze to simply read it to check for tampering once I receive the signed print-out from a potential customer. Like you, I felt the convenience of HTML was much better for the customer. But an inspection report in unencrypted HTML seems a bit vulnerable.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: mrose

I am not saying that he is the only good guy around but he should be included on your list of candidates for website service.

Best regards,

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Many thanks Mike, much appreciated. I’m happy to help out anytime. If the crowd was any indication at that innaugural meeting, the Atlanta chapter will be an active one. They were a great bunch of folks.

Don,

Yes, an unscrupulous buyer or seller could save the report to their own machine and edit it, just like someone could do with a report written in MS Word, or a PDF document. There are free PDF to text converters downloadable on the web. I have one I've used for extracting names and address from a County issued new construction permit list I receive monthly by email. There's no completely effective way to stop someone unscrupulos from modifying any report, and at a certain point you need to set aside paranoia. Our reports are not encrypted on the server. We encourage all ReportHost users to add a statement to their default report header saying that the report is the property of the clients listed at the top of the report, and not to distribute the report to anyone without their permission. This is a good practice no matter what report system you're using.

There's effectively no difference between a password-protected PDF file an a report hosted on ReportHost servers with an unguessable URL. If someone gives someone a pdf file with the password, that person is then able to pass on both the pdf file and password to whoever else they choose to. Some trust is implicit in the delivery of any electronic report. I've chosen to accept the level of vulnerability that ReportHost poses and find it acceptable as many others at this point have. No one can modify the "real" HTML file on the ReportHost server, so it can always be compared with any potentially tampered document.

Don, I only mentioned that "zillions of web developers" comment as a come back to your mention of many software solutions. It was meant purely as jest and I hope you didn't take offense.

-Jim Gallant

--
-Jim Gallant

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

P.S. NACHI will soon be offering web hosting/design to its members. Very full featured and customizable, but you’ll be able to edit any page as if you were using MS word. I know I’ve been promising this for a while now. Those who went to the first New England meeting saw a preview. I’ve hit a few roadblocks since then and certain priorities have been changed (my main priority is working on exam and education right now), but I promise it will exist at some point icon_smile.gif

Features will include:
  • Downloadable reports
  • Online pre-inspection contract signing
  • Fully editable and customizable with no tech knowledge
  • Online scheduling system
  • Search engine submission
  • Umm... that's all I can come up with off the top of my head, but more I'm sure.
Anyway, just like to mention this in any web design/hosting thread ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://pDmlkBvttCCtUXatkWpvNMmIoNm.html)

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Jim and Chriss,

As a user of both your systems, I applaud you both for the fine work and most importantly, the help that you have given to me, and I know of many other people in getting their Website (Chriss) and ReportHost (Jim) up and running.

The most important point for me was the monetary aspect of both items, and let me say emphatically, both Chriss and Jim are great and very helpful and very cost effective, as many newbies are beginning to find out.

Personally, I cannot recommend both Jim and Chriss highly enough. The proof is in the pudding and everyone has told me of the great report that I use, and the smart, clean Website that I have.

Yes Chriss, I will most definitely avail myself of your services having them proven in the past!!

Keep up the great work Guys. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Ron.

Hi Jim,

I know your comment was in jest. I didn't mean anything by my comment initially. Just a poorly worded comment.

Now that you've enlightend me on the pdf flaws, I'd be inclined to forego them in lieu of HTML as well. The download speeds and simplicity being the main reasons.

Thanks much for the feedback!
DW