NACHI's Code of Ethics has been toughened.

Originally Posted By: dfrend
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Jeff, I am just pointing out his innacuracies. Where am I being so defensive? All I said was he’s wrong, we were asked. I can take criticism fine. Nobody has criticised me here though. Because like I said, I had NOTHING to do with the change. In fact, I am not totally for the change. I don’t like the way it was written. But, I am a member and my input was sought. If the non-members don’t like the change, then join and have your say.

I am just sick of the small group of non-members who have one reason for posting here: to discredit us. They complain when membership is left out, then they complain when they are not.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Quote:
As for the change in the code of ethics; Why did the committee make the decision instead of putting it before the membership for a vote and comments on the proposed change. This sounds like something another association would do.

To be clear Jeff, this is not constructive criticism. It is false and/or misguided information. I was simply pointing out the errors in the statement.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Scotty Lee wrote:

I will be in the shadows watching and offering an opinion when it looks like a voice of reason is needed.

Now that's a good one! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) At least someone thinks highly of you. Hey, if you can't depend on yourself, who can you depend on?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

dfrend wrote:
As for voting, I don't know about the other associations, but most organizations have COMMITTEES for a reason: to make decisions on behalf of the membership. Does every ASHI member vote on COE changes? I'd be surprised.

That's what committees do, they develop things.

Members vote on those developments.

And Yes, ASHI members vote on CoE changes and SoP changes. After those committees have hashed out what they think the members want, but the members can accept or reject those proposals.

THAT is the way a real association operates.

THAT is why NACHI is not yet a real association.

THAT is why (one of the reasons) NACHI is ridiculed - no voting (and owned by one person).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Guest

Be careful Jerry,

They'll call out the "bulldog" to answer your cognitive and thoughtful post.

"Charletan" [sic]

Originally Posted By: jremas

J peck Wrote:

Quote:
That's what committees do, they develop things.

Members vote on those developments.

And Yes, ASHI members vote on CoE changes and SoP changes. After those committees have hashed out what they think the members want, but the members can accept or reject those proposals.

THAT is the way a real association operates.

THAT is why NACHI is not yet a real association.

THAT is why (one of the reasons) NACHI is ridiculed - no voting (and owned by one person).

Jerry Peck
South Florida

Oh boy, here we go. I can't wait to see how this plays out. Be back tonight after my inspections to see what happens!!

Gotta Go..............................

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Jerry, I think you are mislead on what committees “do”. I am involved in several non-profit organizations. In the Fire Department we have a SOP committee, new member committee, etc. Those committees come up with new policies and procedures, then the BOARD decides. Some committees like our disciplinary committee are empowered to actually decide on the powers.

From one of the bigger non-profit management references:

Quote:
The role of a board committee can be to prepare recommendations for the board, to decide that a matter doesn't need to be addressed by the full board, to advise staff and/or in some cases, to take on a significant project.

The overall point is that committees do NOT have to have members votes to take actions. They do have a duty to act in the memberships best interest. There is no one way to run an organization. Because one organization does not do it the same as another does not mean one is

Quote:
not yet a real association

Associations have a duty to serve their members. There is nothing that says an association HAS to have elections, votes, etc. It really all depends on the organization and should evolve with the changes in size. Is NACHI evolving? Sure. We now have a SC whose decisions have been enforced by the ED even when he is against, we have more committees who are demonstrating they are not sitting on their thumbs, etc. It doen't happen over night. Will we have elections? I would bet it would happen soon. Give the process time.

Funny thing, seems some other associations do have votes on committee decisions, which some seem to believe is such a great thing. How is it then that so many are griping and leaving when they decide to do branding campaigns?

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

dfrend wrote:
Jerry, I think you are mislead on what committees "do".

Nope, I described what ASHI does when it comes to CoE and SoP.

That is also what FABI does when it comes to CoE and SoP.

The committees develop the changes. They are then submitted to the Board for Board approval, BUT THE MEMBERS vote yea or nay on its acceptance or rejection.

The Boards handle many day to day matters, but big issues like that take membership approval.

Quote:
Funny thing, seems some other associations do have votes on committee decisions, which some seem to believe is such a great thing. How is it then that so many are griping and leaving when they decide to do branding campaigns?

BECAUSE THAT WAS NOT VOTED ON BY THE MEMBERS. Got it? It was developed by a committee, accepted by the Board, and the MEMBERS were TOLD *this is what is we are going to do and this is how much extra it is going to cost you. And, if you don't like it, you can leave.* That is why so many left.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

jpeck wrote:

NACHI is different.

Does not doing what ASHI and FABI do make NACHI wrong?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

jhagarty wrote:
jpeck wrote:

Joe,

You do this often here, and at inspectionnews.com, and don't make any response.

Usually, it just looks silly because few, if any, people know what you are trying to do, other than repeat something someone else says, which is silly enough as it is (without a response).

In this case, though, I see what you are trying to do. You are trying to state (why don't you come right out and state it? Bashful?) that ...

that is what ASHI does (IT IS, I just told you that)

and

that is what FABI does (again, IT IS, I just told you that to)

and IT IS NOT what NACHI does BUT IT SHOULD BE

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

jpeck wrote:

Why?

--
Joseph Hagarty

COE Changes were developed by Committee based upon input by the Membership.

Changes were forwarded to the Board and accepted.

--
Joseph Hagarty

jhagarty wrote:
COE Changes were developed by Committee based upon input by the Membership.

Changes were forwarded to the Board and accepted.

jhagarty wrote:
jpeck wrote:

Why?

Because the membership should be able to vote up or down on the final outcome of the committees work.

We think it should say 'blah, blah, blah'. The committee thinks it should say 'yada, yada, yada'

We should not have a chance to accept or reject the change from 'blah, blah, blah' to 'yada, yada, yada'?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry:

What do you propose for the next review of the COE?

--
Joseph Hagarty

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Give me a vote… icon_lol.gif

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

jhagarty wrote:
Jerry:

What do you propose for the next review of the COE?

Joe,

I thought that was obvious.

That the members vote on it.

(After the committee has digested it and spit it back out.)

Nick, you get to vote too, but just once. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jpope

jpeck wrote:
Nick, you get to vote too, but just once. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Now that's not very "Floridian" of you Jerry

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

Jerry,

How would you propose that members vote on it. After all we know that polls don't work at all and cannot be validated.

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

gjohnson wrote:
Jerry,

How would you propose that members vote on it. After all we know that polls don't work at all and cannot be validated.

Well, what comes to mind is that the dues are mailed out ... that is one obvious way.

Also, Chris could make a protected one time access for internet voting, with mail out / mail in ballots for those members who do not have internet service.

I mean, really, Gary, no one that leads this association can come up with ideas as simple as those? Those are 'no brainers' requiring no thought, just obvious answers. At least I thought they were rather obvious.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

So should every single thing every committee does be voted on? I think that defeats the purpose of their whole existence. They would never get anything done. They would have to spend more time with votes than anything. Committees should not be all powerful. But they need to be empowered to make certain decisions. Others should be made by the board. The membership should not vote on every last change to everything.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store