filing a complaint with NACHI

I have contacted Nick Gromicko about filing a formal complaint against a NACHI-certified home inspection company. He said he would handle it, but he won’t respond to me.

Some of you might remember my case:

The inspector failed to inspect the attic (even though on the report he marked that he had “entered all” of the attic) which turned out to completely/deeply/very obviously charred from a fire. The damage was extensive and covered up ‘on the cheap’ with no permits. Had I known about the fire damage, I would not have purchased the home.

Can anyone please encourage Mr. Gromicko to respond to me?

Thank you very much,
Leanne Jowers

Mr. Gromicko, upon receipt of your complaint, would have turned it over to a member of the Ethics Committee for investigation. This investigation may take some time. Upon its completion, the chairman of the ESOP Committee will advise Mr. Gromicko of the committee’s findings and Mr. Gromicko will respond to that…possibly, by contacting you. Perhaps not.

All of this may take some time.

Your inspector is not a member of NACHI and never was.

And so concludes the investigation.:wink:

James

Not to put you or anyone else on the spot but what if this inspector had been an NACHI member??

If the claims were true (and how would we check same) what would be our action plan if any?

My personal thoughts are that NACHI does not have a dog in a fight like this and that it is between the client and the HI and their lawyers

Just my thoughts

rlb

Sorry even if it never gets that far I feel it is those in The decesion making of NACHI deserve to be in the loop .
If A NACHI member is doing some thing incorrect NACHI deserves to know.
My thoughts

Without getting too far into it, the real problem stems from the fact that NACHI does not certify companies nor does it allow companies to become members. Only human beings can become members. So it would be tough for us to do much about your partner or employee or boss violating our COE.

A Home Inspection is a contracted service between a Company and Client.

As a Fraternal Organization, reviews with regard to the contracted Performance of a Home Inspection is an area that NACHI should not be involved in.

Our COE defines, in part, our relationship with our clients.

If they (our clients) feel that we have failed to comply with the COE, they may (and often do) contact the association and file ethics complaints. They are regularly investigated and the results of these investigations are passed on to Nick, with a recommendation as to what (if anything) should be done. Nick makes the final call.

The ESOP Chairman gets about 25 of these per month, actually.

Nick - James - Roy and others (can’t remember)

Think we are all on the same page

Good information

I would add that this would be a good area for our “arbitration committee” or what ever it is called to expand its scope of work

rlb

The “arbitration committee” is actually a service, Robert, and it works much the same way.

Most of the time, lawsuits result when the client feels they have no recourse. By filing a complaint and having both sides heard by the ESOP committee, often a mutually agreeable resolution can be found.

This is also the goal of arbitration/mediation service that is offered each member.

…and that may often be in everyones best interest.

Good thread

Hope the person that started it gets their issues resolved

rlb

Yes, NACHI should have something in place to handle complaints and then advertise it… It will make clients feel more secure about hiring a NACHI inspector.

Yes, Nick you should get back to her and help her to keep a positive NACHI image.

Exactly!

http://www.nachiadrs.com/

Joseph Hagarty opined:

If that were the case there would be no need to put in contracts that inspections are performed to the COE/SOP. You are contracting with the client to udertakea review to a standard that the association promotes as their own. I don’t see how our collective hands can be washed of an issue particularly if the inspector was short in performing to the COE/SOP that affected his/her client. My opinion of course.

The NACHI ADRS website repeatedly refers to a 3rd party mediator and arbitrator. As Jim B hinted at above, is the NACHI ADRS mediator, in whole or in part, the NACHI ESOP committee?

Nope. Two separate entities with two separate objectives.

The ESOP Committee deals only with complaints of infractions of the COE. In some cases, we may recommend that the client not be contacted with the results of the investigation, depending upon the issues involved.

ADRS is a commercial entity that provides mediation/arbitration between an inspector and client for any issue.

Thanks Jim…that’s what I thought but post #11 confused me.