NACHI's Continuing Education Policy

Originally Posted By: sfrank
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have some thoughts regarding your continuing education policy. I’m sorry in advance if this sounds too negative or critical of the policy but much of it doesn’t make sense to me.

1. NACHI is supposedly offering online courses which can be applied to the C.E. requirements. This is a great idea other than the fact that I have found one such coarse (roofing) on NACHI's website.

2. There is no place on the C.E. log to input information of online courses and you can't submit the form unless all of the fields are filled in which doesn't make any sense, "State", "Instructor" etc.

3. You count attending local chapter meetings (the closest one to me is about an hour drive each way, so I don't attend) and writing articles or books which don't "continue your education" but you don't count reading the educational materials in print. Makes no sense.

4. You don't count taking quizzes or tests which proves one's knowledge yet you acknowledged "mentoring/instruction" or "assistance with Habitat for Humanity or Other Approved Charity" which, while they are commendable ways to contribute to society, again doesn't further one's education or prove one's knowledge.

I don't know how the rest of the membership feels but I for one find it very difficult to find the time to spend two hours on the road to attend a meeting that is going to give me an hour of credit toward my C.E. log. With not a lot of free time on my hands I continue my "education" not only for inspections but for all aspects of life, by reading. I'm sure I get more out of reading educational materials or even from NACHI's website than I would from attending 100 chapter meetings a year.

I personally think by offering as much as possible online and creating a way to log the information is the best bet.

I have written on this subject in the past (not in so much detail) and would appreciate a response from the powers to be, if for no other reason just to confirm there really is a Continuing Education Board and what your thoughts are.

Sincerely,

Scott Frank

Originally Posted By: jwilliams4

attend such meetings because there is a boatload of useful and educational information to be gained at these meetings.

You have to drive an hour one way? I drive two hours one way, and I'm the close one. Many drive much farther than that--and it's worth the effort.

There will be more CE courses coming soon, as is stated in the threads concerning them.

I hope you will take a better look at the situation and read these boards--there is more to learn on these threads that anywhere--I know, I'm registered on a few of them, but I only post here.

Best of luck(skill) with your business.

I appreciate your comments Jae. The purpose of my post was not to diminish the value of chapter meetings nor was it about who has to drive the farthest. The purpose is to engage the membership and the education committee in some discussion on the current policy and the possibility of making some changes to the policy that would benefit the inspectors and the organization as a whole.

Scott

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Scott,

NACHI has one of the most liberal education policies of all home inspection organizations. Nearly everything you do, in an effort to learn more about our industry, counts toward credit.

Forget what makes no sense to you, and take advantage of every opportunity you are given to obtain credits for learning and participating. Yes... credits for participating.

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

http://www.appraisaltraining.com/homeinspectioneducationlinks.html

many free educational links for Home Inspectors

Thanks Paul-
I remember thanking you for the many links- couldn't find them on the message board, and with the message board down couldn't e-mail you either so, I posted it on a site temporarily to help- I don't know it they are still active or which ones are accepted by the education committee and which ones are not- I agree you should check before enrolling- but education is always good, even if it is not a NACHI approved CE course- and these all seem to be free-

Have fun- it look like hundreds of hours of education...and no cost involved!

originally posted in September by:
Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services

Originally Posted By: lungar

Scott;

Like Bill posted there are many sites to get education from which count towards CE credits besides the roofing one. Like the Certainteed online courses, check them out they are great and they even give you certificates at the end of each one.

Regards Len

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

, on:

6 Steps to Massive Results in Your Inspection Business

You will get more ideas on how you can increase your income in 2 hours than you have in the last 2 years. Discover the simple strategies that over 19,000 business owners across America have learned in these seminars to increase their revenue and profits dramatically. Imagine finding that you had tens of thousands of dollars in untapped sales opportunities lying dormant in your business right now? This event will unlock proven sales and marketing secrets that have made millions of dollars worldwide. Topics to be discussed: How to increase profits working less hours; stop wasting money on advertising that does not work and have it make you money; work ON your inspection business instead of IN your business; test and measure; apply the 6 steps and 5 proven ways to grow your inspection business; get your best customers coming back.

President of Synergis Business Solutions, Mr. Layzell is a licensed Action International Business Coach, Consultant, Trainer and Speaker. He works directly with business owners, helping them build on their achievements to get more out of their business. Typically, this focuses on generating more income, reducing the hours they are working, improving team relationships and keeping clients longer.

Prior to forming Synergis Business Solutions, from 1982 he held several senior management positions with Royal Caribbean Cruises in Miami and Los Angeles. Mr. Layzell has an undergraduate degree in Hospitality Management from NOVA Southeastern University and a Masters in Business Administration from Barry University.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: rmyers1

Scott

The Education Committee is currently undergoing a makeover.

I have recently been assigned to this task.

Your views and comments are well received

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

All of the CE you need for an entire year is available at the Convention from Feb. 4 to 8, 2006.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

bmerrell wrote:

That is the list I put together on another thread

I have since updated the list with additional links so please visit here for the most current list

I will always continue to maintain the list with additions and/or corrections so if you know of any please let me know.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: bking

Paul,

Many of the courses on your list show the credit hours for different orgs. but not for NACHI. There is a note that says the courses are approved for NACHI. Which org. credit hours do we use? Many vary from 1 to 2 for a given course.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Bruce,

The list of courses contain both those that have approved with the NACHI approval seal and those that don't. I do not sit on the education committee ( ![eusa_think.gif](upload://lNFeGuTetUAtwNVgUSOuUzgrGGK.gif) humm maybe something I should think about) so I can't really comment further but a course which is not approved by NACHI may still in fact be of value. If you are unsure if something qualifies or think something should qualify as continuing education you should contact the education committee

Paul and Bill,

The links to free online courses are going to be very helpful, I appreciate you posting them.

Russell,

In the process of revamping the Education Committee I think a list of online, approved NACHI courses should be available and easily accessable on the website. Along with the available courses should be the credit hours given for each course and in our CE log, the form needs to allow us to enter the information for the courses. Food for thought...

Scott

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

phinsperger wrote:
bmerrell wrote:

That is the list I put together on another thread

I have since updated the list with additional links so please visit here for the most current list

I will always continue to maintain the list with additions and/or corrections so if you know of any please let me know.

I thought it looked familiar, imitation is supposedly the sincerest form of flattery ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Anyway, getting back to cases, the NACHI continuing education policy was developed to be as liberal as it could possibly be, with out compromising its validity, all continuing education that we accept is verifiable, which unfortunately reading a book or reading this message board is not.

NACHI normally accepts these course based on credit hours alone, we have no weighting system that determines there "usefulness" to home inspectors, we normally follow the presidents set by other industry trade associations, and those adopted by other trade bodies such as AIA.

Regards

Gerry

Thanks Paul- I copied it down but couldn’t find it so I posted it for viewing-

Paul put this together, and I am quoting it from his earlier post- He deserves the credit for all the enregy related to it-

Happy New Year!

Posted: Fri, Sep 9th, 4:35 PM Post subject: Good posts & Free on-line courses

Now, as we enter in to Fall, many inspectors are finding that their business is slowing down a bit. Why not use some of that extra time to develope your knowledge base?

Below is a list of some posts made to the NACHI board that I feel are really good reading. This is by no means an exhaustive list as there have been many good contributions by some very knowledgeable people.

Electrical
Inspecting Electrical panels by Dennis Bozek
Voltage Drop by various authors

Plumbing
TIP SHEET - WATER HEATERS by John Bowman
Tankless Water Heaters by Jeff Pope and others
Off-Site Links by Claude Lawrenson

Structural
TIP SHEET - FIRE DAMAGE & CONCRETE by John Bowman
Off-Site Links by Robert OConnor

HVAC
TIP SHEET - HOME INSULATION by John Bowman
HEAT EXCHANGER INSPECTION METHODS by Gary Reecher

Radon
Radon myths and units by Caoimh?n P. Connell & Bill Field

Safety
TIP SHEET - SMOKE ALARMS by John Bowman

Reporting
Report Writing by Ben Kelly
How to construct a narrative by Paul Hinsperger

Ethics & Business Practices
Core Values / Guiding Principles by Michael Boyett
To be insured or not to be insured by Joseph Ferry

Tools
Ladders by various authors

Marketing
Web Site Tips by Kevin McMahon

Other
TIP SHEET - Component & Appliance Life Expectancy by John Bowman
Mold by Ronald Feiler
Lead paint by Caoimh?n P. Connell

Below is a list of some FREE on-line courses that have some relevancy for Home Inspectors. Some of these courses are more relevant to inspectors who perform commercial inspections. These courses are meant for supplemental continuing education knowledge and should not be used as a replacement for any required education that your area may require.

ELECTRICAL
Free on-line courses for "Basics of Electricity"

Free on-line courses for "Basics of Electrical Products"

Free on-line courses for "Busway"

Free on-line courses for "Load Centers"

Free on-line courses for "Molded Case Circuit Breakers"

Free on-line courses for "Panelboards"

Free on-line courses for "Power Monitoring and Management with ACCESS"

Free on-line courses for "Safety Switches"

Free on-line courses for "Switchboards"

STRUCTURAL
Free on-line course for "The Attic: Three Components, One System "

Free on-line course for "Essentials of Masonry"

Free on-line course for "Professional Carpentry"

Free on-line course for "Why Build With Steel? Utilizing Light-Gauge Steel Framing Systems"

Free on-line course for "Wood in Architecture"

Free on-line course for "Protection Against Termites and Decay"

Free on-line course for "Engineered Wood Basics"

Free on-line course for "Design of Wood Connections"

Free on-line course for "Metric and Wood"

Free on-line course for "LEED Certification and Sustainable Steel Building Systems"

Free on-line course for "Finger Jointed Lumber "

Free on-line course for "Engineered Wood Products"

Free on-line course for "Connection Design"

Free on-line course for "Designing for Permanence"

Free on-line course for "Lateral Load Resisting Systems for Wood Structures"

Free on-line course for "Designing for Torsional Stability in Wood Members"

Free on-line course for "Earthquake and Wind Design with Wood"

Free on-line course for "Conventional Floor Framing"

Free on-line course for "Conventional Wall Framing"

Free on-line course for "Lateral Load Bracing"

Free on-line course for "Roof / Ceiling Framing"

Free on-line course for "Introduction to the Wood Frame Construction Manual"

Free on-line course for "The Basics of Wood Frame Construction"

Free on-line course for "What Is Conventional Construction?"

Free on-line course for "Characteristics of Wood"

Free on-line course for "Grade Marks "

Free on-line course for "Designing with the National Design Specification (NDS) for Wood Construction (NDS 1997)"

Free on-line course for "Designing with the National Design Specification (NDS) for Wood Construction (NDS 2001) "

Free on-line course for "LRFD Manual for Engineered Wood Construction"

Free on-line course for "Introduction to ICFs: Insulating Concrete Forms"

Free on-line course for "Wood Frame Construction Manual 1995 SBC High Wind Edition"

Free on-line course for "Wood Frame Construction Manual 2001 National Edition"

Free on-line course for "Design of Wood Frame Buildings for High Wind, Snow, and Seismic Loadings"

Free on-line course for "Form with Function: Dramatic Design with Cable and Rod Systems"

Free on-line course for "Integrally Colored Concrete"

Free on-line course for "Pre-Molded: Bell Footing Form System "

Free on-line course for "The Exterior Wall: A Systems Approach "

Free on-line course for "Design of Large Exterior Openings"

Free on-line course for "Principles of Universal Design in Housing and Home "

Free on-line course for "Creating Custom Curves: Adding Interest to Architectural Designs"

Free on-line course for "Introduction to Decking & Railing Systems "

Free on-line course for "Evolution of Footing Forms "

Free on-line course for "Light-Gauge Steel Framing Connection Products"

Free on-line course for "Utilizing Light-Gauge Steel Framing Systems "

Free on-line course for "Aluminum Expansion Joint Covers"

Free on-line course for "Pressure Treated Wood"

INSULATION & VENTILATION
Free on-line course for "Principles of Attic Ventilation "

Free on-line course for "Exterior Insulation Finish System "

Free on-line course for "Reflective Insulation, Radiant Barriers & Control Coatings"

Free on-line course for "Understanding Thermal Performance and XPS "

MOLD & MOISTITURE CONTROL
Free on-line course for "Assuring Water Resistance of Masonry Construction"

Free on-line course for "Wind Driven Rain Louvers "

Free on-line course for "Control of Condensation, Mold and Energy Leakage to Improve Building Performance"

Free on-line course for "Waterproofing Exterior Cementitious Wall Surfaces"

Free on-line course for "The ABC's of Trench Drainage"

Free on-line course for Mold and Moisture

Free on-line course for "The Science of Specifying Moisture and Mould Control in Framed Wall Assemblies"

Free on-line course for "The Science of Specifying Moisture & Mold Control in Framed Wall Assemblies"

Free on-line course for "Fluid Applied Waterproof/Air Barriers for Moisture Control and Mold Prevention in Wall Construction"

Free on-line course for "Moisture Management in Sidewall Construction"

Free on-line course for "Antimicrobial Material: A Way To Inhibit Mold And Mildew Growth "

Free on-line course for "Waterproofing the Building Envelope"

ROOFING
Free on-line course for ""NACHI roofing course"

Free on-line course for "New Dimensions in Asphalt Shingles "

Free on-line course for "Low Slope Bituminous Roof Systems "

Free on-line course for "Roofing and Glazing Polycarbonate Sheeting Systems"

Free on-line course for "Cool Thermoplastic Roofing Systems for Sustainable Buildings"

Free on-line course for "The Use of Self Adhering Systems in Low Slope Roofing "

Free on-line course for "Single-Ply Commercial Roofing"

Free on-line course for "Asphalt Shingles & Roofing Products "

Free on-line course for "Reflective-Protective Roof Coating Systems"

Free on-line course for "Designing Sustainable Roofing Insulation Systems using Plastic Materials "

Free on-line course for "Walkable Roof Deck Membranes"

Free on-line course for "Concrete Roof Tile Orientation "

Free on-line course for "Use of Snow Retention Devices: Science or Fiction? "

HEATING
Free on-line course for "Solar Heating Metal Wall Systems "

Free on-line course for "HVAC Ductwork: Issues, Answers & Practical Consderations "

Free on-line course for "The Heart of the Home: Specifying Today's Gas Fireplaces"

WINDOWS & DOORS
Free on-line course for "Windows: An Inside View "

Free on-line course for "Designer Garage Doors "

Free on-line course for "Float Glass Manufacturing and Architectural Glass Products"

Free on-line course for "Specialized Steel Doors and Frames"

Free on-line course for "Specifying Windows "

Free on-line course for "Impact Resistant Glazing Systems for Coastal Construction"

Free on-line course for "Advanced Fenestration Technology "

Free on-line course for "Historic Window Rehabilitation"

Free on-line course for "Automatic & Revolving Doors "

Free on-line course for "Comparative Study of Wood and Aluminum Windows in Commercial Buildings "

Free on-line course for "Commercial Upward-Acting Sectional Doors"

Free on-line course for "Understanding Special Purpose Doors and Windows"

Free on-line course for "The Functional Characteristics of Horizontal Blinds"

HEALTH, SAFTEY & DISABLILTY ACCESS
Free on-line course for "Specification of Safety Floor Coverings"

Free on-line course for "Design Standards for Wheelchair Lifts and Elevators"

Free on-line course for "Acoustical Ceiling and Wall Systems"

Free on-line course for "Low Location Emergency Exit Path Marking System Using High Performance Photoluminescent Technology "

Free on-line course for "Acoustical Basics for Ceiling and Wall Systems"

Free on-line course for "Sound Control and Acoustics for Architects"

Free on-line course for HUD Lead-Based Paint Visual Assessment

Free on-line course for "Flooring Safety: Code Requirements and Guidelines For Interior Finishes"

Free on-line course for "PEDESTRIAN CABLE RAILINGS (Guardrails with cable in-fill)"

Free on-line course for "Providing Stage Access in Schools, Churches and Performing Arts Centers"

Free on-line course for "Design of Horizontal Accessibility (ADA) "

Free on-line course for "Inclined and Vertical Platform Lifts (ADA) "

Free on-line course for "Bullet Resistant Products, Applications and Other Physical Security Threats "

Free on-line course for "Thermoplastic Technology in Architectural Railing Systems"

Free on-line course for "Quiet in the Classroom: Acoustics for Learning Environments"

Free on-line course for "Acoustics: Noise Control "

FIRE
Free on-line course for "Fire Design for Code Acceptance "

Free on-line course for "Fireblocking and Draftstopping"

Free on-line course for "Life-Saving Design: Advanced Egress-Routing Systems"

Free on-line course for "Fire-Resistant Ceiling and Wall Assemblies Using Gypsum Board Products"

Free on-line course for "About UL Fire Resistance Directories "

Free on-line course for "Fire Rated Wood - Interior and Exterior "

INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR FINSIHES
Free on-line course for "Self Cleaning Ceramic Tile"

Free on-line course for "Recycled Rubber Flooring"

Free on-line course for "Understanding Quartz Surfaces"

Free on-line course for "Specification of Vinyl Floor Coverings"

Free on-line course for "The 5 Levels of Finishing Gypsum Wallboard "

Free on-line course for "Cement Board-From Showers to Whirlpool Decks "

Free on-line course for "Designing with Siding "

Free on-line course for "Flooring Over Concrete Slabs: Avoiding Failure Through Moisture Mitigation and Proper Design"

Free on-line course for "Fiber Cement Siding"

Free on-line course for "The Science and Technology of Coatings Performance"

Free on-line course for "Building Material Basics, Vinyl "

Free on-line course for "Cement Board Stucco System "

Free on-line course for "Abuse and Impact Resistant Gypsum Systems "

Free on-line course for "One Coat Stucco: The Most Efficient Stucco System Available"

Free on-line course for "Tongue-and-Groove Porch Flooring "

Free on-line course for "A green alternative for surface finishing - Powder Coating"

Free on-line course for "Rain Screen Assemblies and Composite Cladding"

Free on-line course for "Understanding Quartz Surfacing Material "

Free on-line course for "Metal Lath, Beads and Trims: Stucco and Plaster Products and Applications "

Free on-line course for "EIFS: Critical Details"

Free on-line course for "Anti-Graffiti Coatings and Graffiti Removal Technology"

Free on-line course for "Paint 101: What is Paint?"

PLUMBING
Free on-line course for "Essentials of Plumbing"

Free on-line course for "The Ever-Expanding Reach of Ergonomics: From Architecture to Faucet Design"

Free on-line course for "Custom Shower Systems"

Free on-line course for "Radiant Floor Heating Systems, PEX Piping and Other Uses for PEX Pipe "

Free on-line course for "The Greening of the Water Closet "

OTHER
Free on-line course for "NACHI's Ethics Obstacle Course"

Free on-line course for "NACHI's SOP"

Free on-line course for "Vinyl Fence Systems "

Free on-line course for "The Systems Approach to Designing a House:Part I,II and III"

Free on-line course for "Construction Joints: Head Of Wall Deflection Systems "

Free on-line course for "Understanding Steel Stud, Moisture Resistance, and XPS "

Free on-line course for "Structural and Fire Resistance Considerations with Steel Stud Construction When Using XPS "

Free on-line course for "The Evolution to Specialty Grid Systems"

Free on-line course for "Partnering with Material Consultants "

Free on-line course for "Alternative Exterior Decking Materials "

Free on-line course for "Wood, Building Codes and Research"

Free on-line course for "Wood in Modern Commercial Construction"

Free on-line course for "Fa?ade Anchoring Systems and Adjustable Concealed Lintels"

Free on-line course for "Speech Privacy in Healthcare Environments"

Free on-line course for "Designing Interfaces for Glass and Metal Curtain Wall Systems"

Free on-line course for "Design and Specification of ACM / MCM in Today's Architecture"

Free on-line course for "Expansion Joint Covers"

Free on-line course for "IBC Seismic Code and Ceiling Installation Requirements"

Free on-line course for "Speech Privacy in Office Design"

Free on-line course for "Building Green Exteriors Using Fiber Cement Products"

Free on-line course for "Providing Courtroom Access to Witness Stands and Judges' Benches"

Free on-line course for "The Restoration of Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater"

Free on-line course for "Specifying Pews for Worship Facilities"

Free on-line course for "Accessibility & Detectable Warning Systems: Complying with Current Government Guidelines"

Free on-line course for "Color Foundations"

Free on-line course for "The Greening of 'White Goods': Environmental Considerations When Specifying Appliances"

Free on-line course for "LEED Certification: Fenestration's Contribution to a Greener Future"

Free on-line course for "Polycarbonate Sheeting"

Free on-line course using "Inspection Depot frames"

Free on-line course for "Soils and Hydrology"

Free on-line course for "Building Codes & Wood Design"

Free on-line course for "Building Code Update "

Free on-line course for "The International Residential Code and Wood Construction"

Free on-line course for "Wood Structural Design in the International Building Code 2000"

Free on-line course for "Understanding Construction Documents - Module 1: An Overview of the Construction Process"

Free on-line course for "Understanding Construction Documents - Module 2: Construction Contracts"

Free on-line course for "Understanding Construction Documents - Module 3: Construction Contract Modification"

Free on-line course for "Understanding Construction Documents - Module 5: Conditions of the Contract"

Free on-line course for "Understanding Construction Documents - Module 6: Division One - General Requirements"

Free on-line course for Wildlife Damage Inspection

Last edited by phinsperger on Sat, Dec 24th, 1:26 PM, edited 11 times in total

Unique ID: C521-A3-8E902F

the last post didn’t hyperlink-

Go to Paul H's previous link for the most up-to-date schedule