NACHI's Estimated life chart - Roofing

**The life of a roof depends on local weather conditions, building and design, material quality, and adequate maintenance. Slate, copper, and clay/concrete roofs have the longest life expectancy while roofs made of asphalt shingles, fiber cement or wood shakes will fail sooner.

ROOFING
YEARS
Aluminum Coating
3-7
Asphalt Shingles (3 - tab)
Asphalt (Architectural)30
BUR (Built-up Roof)
Clay/Concrete
100+Coal and Tar
Copper
100+
EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) Rubber
15 - 25
Fiber Cement
25Modified Bitumen
Simulated Slate50
Slate
50+
TPO7 - 20
Wood

How about metal roofing??? And what is TPO???

Thanks in advance.

Thermoplastic PolyOlefin](http://www.specjm.com/commercial/roofing/tposingle.asp)

Those may work up north, but here is Florida the life expectancy is much less

Thanks for the info.

Still, why no metal roofing?

Metal roofing lasts really long, much longer than asphalt.

Yeah, I know. My main question is why isn’t it on the chart? Metal is a pretty common and popular roof covering, that seems to me, should be listed as well. I’ve kind of incorporated some of these into my reports and was just curious.

If you can find me some reference to how long they last, I’ll get it in there.

Most metal roof manufacturers will give a warranty of around 45 to 50 years.
http://www.metalroofingwholesalers.com/

Done. Estimated Life Expectancy Chart

i can get some info give me a few days…some metals are life!!! Comps also now have life warranties.

The tpo I install has 10,15, 0r 20 yrs
10 is 45 mil
15 is 50 mil
20 is 80 mil

WOOD AT 30??
meduim shakes are rated at 20 at the most
heavys will be 30

alm coating comes in 5,7, or 10 yrs. however if its not installed correctly more like 2-3 years I SEE THIS ALOT! most guys just roll it out and it dont stick! the deck has to be cleaned and washed before you can roll out coating…1 thin layer then one heavy coat…just so you guys know.:cool:

3 tab is 20 yrs.
you also have 25 yr comp…now is rated at 30.
there is also 30,40,50 yr comp. out there
some of the higher end comps are now giving LIFE WARRANTIES…

I have yet to see a wood roof here in KC last more than 20 years, no matter what the thickness. Average here is 17 years for wood; winters, summers too harsh.

When you see the shingle quoted as a 20, 25, 30, 40 or lifetime shingle that denotes the warranty period. The part that people do not understand is that the warranty is against defects in materials only, not the lifespan of the shingles. Here in Florida the average lifespan of a 25 year shingle is 12-14 years under normal weather conditions. A 30 year Architectural shingle will last 16-19 years. 25 year shingles come with a 60mph wind uplift warranty, 30 year shingles come with a 80mph wind uplift warranty although some of the newer ones come with a 110mph wind uplift warranty when installed by a certified roofing contractor and useing 6 nails per shingle. Florida code was 6 nails per shingle for a while but has since been reduced to 4 nails per shingle. 40 year shingles generally carry a 110mph wind uplift warranty, while the 50 year/Lifetime carry a 130mph wind uplift warranty. Sorry for the lecture but maybe it will help clarify things.

Nick, in the chart you have water heaters listed in HVAC and under appliances. Each with a different value. What’s up with that? (Same thing for Air Conditioners.)

Stand alone water heaters are distinguished from the water heaters in the HVAC section (combination water heaters that run off the space-heating boiler). The combination boilers (that heat air space and water) last longer than a typical water heater and are different animals.

Same with window air conditioners under appliance section lasting not as long as a central AC system in the HVAC section. Different animals again… and so different life expectancies.

Aluminum, steel and copper roofs all have different life spans.

Each depends upon the quality of installation.

Aluminum the least…copper the most. Google will give the details.