NACHI's KOI Chapter and KREIA plan for combined meeting.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

NACHI’s KOI Chapter and the Kentucky Real Estate Inspection Association at http://www.kreia.org have decided to have their next meetings together.

Could someone from KREIA give us location, date, etc. I want to announce the January meeting.

Nick

PS If you are a home inspector in Kentucky, please join KREIA.

http://www.kreia.org
http://www.nachi.org/koichapter.htm

Originally Posted By: mpatton

Nick,

The meeting will be in Lexington KY, 1/8/04 @ 6:00 PM open meeting.

The Calendar shows 4:00 to 9:00 PM, the first 2 hours, board meeting typically.

Agenda and site TBA. http://www.kreia.org/calendar.html

I plan on attending, and would like to think we could have a good NACHI turnout, the KREIA group is a good crowd. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

And yes I am planning to join KREIA.

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

The meeting information has changed.

It will be the same date and time: 6:00 PM, Thursday, January 8th, 2004

It will be held in Frankfort, KY instead of Lexington, KY.

Location will be announced on www.kreia.org shortly.

It will now be a statewide meeting of all Home Inspectors providing inspection services in Kentucky, including those from out of state that work in Kentucky.

EVERYONE will be welcome. It doesn't matter what associations you're a member of or even if you are a member of an association.

Member or not: YOU ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND.

The topic will be:

The Nuts and Bolts of the proposed Kentucky State Home Inspector Licensing Legislation

As we are expecting a large turnout, we will not be able to hold it in the backroom of some restaurant. That means getting a larger room. Larger room means there will be a cost to attend. Hopefully we can get those that are eating supper in for just the cost of the supper. Those that are not eating will also have a small charge. The amount will depend on the cost of the meeting room we have to pay for and how many people show up to split the cost.

More info as it becomes available.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Erby,

Please hurry. I was going to bring Joe Ferry but we need a little time to make travel arrangements.

Nick

PS I emailed you a request for KREIA's board to approve NACHI's Standards of Practice. Otherwise KREIA's membership application poses some difficulty for NACHI members who want to also join KREIA (one of the purposes of holding joint meetings). There is no sense in welcoming NACHI members to KREIA meetings if they're not also welcome to join. Can you get this simple approval fast enough for me to advertise this upcoming meeting?

As far as the Standards of Practice acceptance goes, no, I can’t get it in that time frame. I can bring it up at the next board meeting which is January 8th.

KREIA has always been, is now, and will continue to be a STATE Home Inspector organization. We are not aligned with any particular National Association and have no desire to be so aligned. We do want to welcome members from ALL organizations and have taken steps in the past to welcome members of other associations. I see no problem with doing so again for recognized national associations. I'm not talking about school sponsored "certification mills" though.

The original point was having a standard to follow therefore the "follow ASHI Standards of Practice' which has now been amended to "ASHI or NAHI Standards of Practice" as some NAHI members raised the same issue you are.

Speaking of which, has anybody addresed the godawful amount of paper it takes to print out a copy of the SOP. Twenty-Eight pages full of white space. Passing these out to customers is cost prohibitive in it's current format.

As far as the travel arrangements, it's pretty simple, Nick.

Plan to be in Frankfort, KY on evening of the 8th of January.

Then it's just a question of exactly "WHERE" in Frankfort you need to be.

It's not a huge town, so just about any place in town is less than 10 minutes from any other place in town.

Flying into and out of Louisville and Lexington are the cheap ways to get there. Cincinnati is quite a bit more expensive.

Driving time from Louisville is about 45 minutes, Lexington about 30 minutes, and Cincinnati about one hour.

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Thanks Erby!

Nick

Originally Posted By: lbabitch

Hi Erby,

I just copied and pasted our Standards of Practice into Word, and it was 15 pages long.

You might try that and see what happens for you. (Mine was single-spaced, in arial, I think 12pt font)

Lia

Erby, bringing this up at the next KREIA board meeting is going to be too late. Can’t you just get emergency approval by email? I want to be able to advertise this meeting and have our KY members join KREIA… it appears KREIA is preventing us from doing either at this point. Use your magical powers and fix this quick, for the benefit of both associations.

Nick

Until Michael Patton took the bull by the horns and got NACHI KOI started, it wasn’t even an issue.

Remember!!!! While KREIA may be spearheading it, this is NOT a KREIA meeting. The legislation will be introduced to the legislature in 2004 whether KREIA / NACHI / NAHI / ASHI members or unaffiliated inspectors attend the meeting or not. It would behoove ALL inspectors that work in Kentucky to attend this meeting regardless of association membership.

From my earlier post.

It will now be a statewide meeting of all Home Inspectors providing inspection services in Kentucky, including those from out of state that work in Kentucky.

EVERYONE will be welcome. It doesn't matter what associations you're a member of or even if you are a member of an association.

Member or not: YOU ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND.

The topic will be:

The Nuts and Bolts of the proposed Kentucky State Home Inspector Licensing Legislation

This train left the station about 18 months ago with realtors and builders in the lead engine driving. KREIA, with the assistance of ASHI members and NAHI members, kicked them out of the lead engine, but not off the train, nor have we managed to derail the train. Its next stop is the legislature in February. If we abandon the lead engine, the realtors and builders are still back in the passenger cars waiting to take over.

Regarding the SOP & COE being accepted by KREIA.
I'm kinda picky about what I distribute and I don't want the rest of the KREIA Board of Directors nor my customers to see the current well written but poorly formatted SOP and think badly of NACHI. I feel that 28 pages is just way to much white space, to much paper, and not enough professionalism.

In light of that, and that fact that NACHI allows such freedom, I have taken the liberty of using my afternoon to reformat the SOP/COE document into a combined 10 page document (well, cover, 8 page SOP & 1 page COE) that I would be proud to put in front of my customers (and cost effective for me). Remember, reformat, not rewrite. I didn't change a single word of it. I just condensed it (thru formatting only) into a presentable (my opinion only) printed document.

As I don't believe I can include it here (lack of knowledge on the how to for documents), I have uploaded it to my website server and included links to it in both Microsoft Word and Adobe PDF below. NACHI members who desire to do so may click on the links and download it from the site for their use, should they desire to do so.

Adobe PDF Format
NACHI SOP & COE PDF (320 KB)

Microsoft Word XP Format
NACHI SOP & COE DOC (117 KB)

Now that I can be proud not just of what it says, but how it says it, (remember, it's not just the language {which is just fine with me} but the appearance is important also), I'll be e-mailing it to the board of directors tonight, asking them to preview it for discussion and adoption at the next board meeting (which is just before the 6:00 meeting in Frankfort on the 8th of January.)

One issue I see being brought up is the fact that it clearly states on the web copy that it is subject to change without notice. That may be a hitch and I don't think it should be changed without notice anyway. Not all NACHI members are computer literate and/or stay up with it. There is no date on it and no way to tell without reading it word for word to find out if it has changed since the last time a member downloaded it for passing out to his customers.

I think (and will so request in the appropriate forum) that the Standards Of Practice Committee and the Code of Ethics Committee rethink the change without notice policy. It may not be feasible to e-mail or write to each member advising them of the change, but crikey moses (as Gerry would say {for translation see: http://www.effingpot.com/slang.html), we can at least put a date on it, so we know if we are using the current copy for our customers.

We, as a whole Board of Directors, don't all operate with the same skill level in e-mail discussions. Therefore, I feel it's best for a face to face discussion at the next BOD meeting. If you want it quicker than that, feel free to contact Mike Green, the KREIA President.

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Nick & Erby,

I understand the desire for the SOP to be accepted by KREIA for the benefit of dual membership purposes as well as acceptance of NACHI at the state level.

Nick, I understand trying to get this done as quickly as possible and the advantage of having it done prior to the next meeting 1/8/04. However I do not see that this is a roadblock at this time for you and Joe Ferry attending and continuing to promote this meeting. Please advise.

Erby, Thank you for your efforts, I do agree with you pertaining to the the unfriendly print option for the SOP as well as the lack of date and change identified. I sent an E-mail to Lia suggesting that she or Chris set this up similar to the YAHOO map where a printer friendly version is available. This approach makes it clean and simple for all interested. And If I had been paying attention I would have sent you a formatted copy in Word prior to now and saved you the trouble.

Erby, If you see it as assistance I will make some calls tomorrow and see if I can get any feedback as well, if you receive e-mail responses if they do not contain private issues/statements please forward to me. aa@AAHomeInspection.net

Erby, what is with the "no" membership?

Thanks,

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

The latest version/update of the SOP is at the top of the first page of SOP. It is in lime green, so it may not have printed out for you. I think someone, maybe you, made this suggestion last month and it was implemented then. If you can’t see it on your browser/screen maybe I should change it to black.

You're right. It is best to copy and paste http://www.nachi.org/sop into your own document so that you can change the line spacing and font as you see fit. See Lia's post above.

I misunderstood and now realize that this meeting has evolved from a KREIA/NACHI KOI meeting into something more on the lines of a KY legislation meeting, so I'll step back and let you handle the agenda. Would our Ohio, Indiana members have interest in this upcoming meeting or is it all about KY?

I've emailed every board member of KREIA asking them to repair the site so NACHI members can join KREIA. I'm sure you can do it in a day or two.

It appears that KREIA and NACHI are similar in that our meetings are open to members of all associations and everyone is welcome...but very different in that it appears that KREIA the organization itself is currently closed to NACHI members. Hope you guys can fix it quick.

Nick

(I didn’t even notice it myself until a member pointed out the KREIA membership requirement to me) so it should be corrected in time for NACHI members to join KREIA before this next important meeting… something KREIA’s current membership requirements are currently preventing.

Nick

Erby:

I like Michael also offer my assistance in getting this KREIA membership glitch repaired. What can I do to help?

Nick

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Erby

thank for the mention, but I've never said "crikey Moses" in all my life ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

However I am going to send you a version of our SOP converted to HTML as it is much more user freindly than our 20 odd page current offering, check your email.

Regards

Gerry (crikey) Beaumont

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Nick,

Thanks for the response, yes this has turned in to a KY State legislation meeting as you have stated.

This meeting will definitely be of importance to all Inspectors in the state of KY as well as those that service the state of KY from one of the boarder states (Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri and Illinois).

The statement pertaining to the KREIA "Organization" being closed to NACHI members, I presume this is in regards to their closed door board meetings? So far I have been more than welcome to attend their meetings.

Thanks,

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Gerry & Erby:

Email your reformatted versions to Chris at webmaster@nachi.org and perhaps our SOP link can offer yours as options.

Nick

Didn?t even see it, but when I looked at it on screen just now, it?s there.

Anybody inspecting in Kentucky, be they from Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Tennesse, Virginia or West Virginia should be paying attention to this issue and are welcome to attend the meeting. In addition, anybody nearby facing upcoming licensing legislation may also be interested.

Repair the site?????. The site?s fine, I just can?t edit or make changes until the hosting service get?s all their hosted sites switched to the new server and resets access to the editing function.. Don?t know why that would keep anybody from joining.

I don?t know how KREIA is ?closed? to NACHI members. I?m a member of both and feel that inspecting to the NAHI/ASHI standards puts me in compliance with COE A. 1. by substantially following the NACHI Standards Of Practice. Yes, I?ll like it better when KREIA also allows the NACHI standards, but I don?t see it as a bar, nor would I allow it to keep me from KREIA membership.

I agree with Mike, that it?s not a roadblock for your attendance.

No Mike, I don't see the phone calls as assistance. Personally, I think if you push to hard, to fast, it?s more likely to hinder than help. Y?all keep pushing and the emotions already present just get stronger and harder to overcome.

There is a printer friendly, 10 page version that includes both, looks good, and can be accessed by anybody in the above message. I?m sure someone that can edit the NACHI site can upload it to the NACHI server, if they so desire.

As for the e-mails, private e-mail communications between the BOD members are just that, private. Just like your e-mails to me are private.

As for the ?NO? membership, I lost my cookie, and can?t get it back. Tried several times to re-sign in using the member password Chris sent me a long time ago, but it?s not working.

Nick, can you help with that?

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

of KREIA is closed to NACHI members. You can be a member of ASHI, NAHI, an association that has no SOP, or and independent and KREIA welcomes you as long as you agree to abide by the Standards of Practice KREIA approved. My 90 year old Aunt Penny who lives in Argentina can join KREIA but I can’t.

KREIA has a NO-NACHI members rule.

See http://www.kreia.org/standardsofpractice.html

All I'm saying if that if this NO-NACHI members rule is unintentional, which I'm sure it is, then it should be immediately repaired. If NACHI discovered a NO-KREIA members rule, we'd fix it fast.

Nick

Mike, Nick

Hey, we're all on here at once. Where's that dang chat option.l

Give me your [phone numbers and I'll do a threeway conference call on my free longdistance.

Erby

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

(610) 933-4241.

Nick