Name the Defects

One more that I see

Never mind you have it wrote in there.

1. Looks like the EGC was cut off in the far left NM cable.

Great post thanks… Roy

• Safety Issue: An excessive amount of sheathing has been left on some of the wiring inside the main distribution panel. Typically, when wires are brought into the panel, they should be stripped of their sheathing so that no more than about an inch of sheathing projects into the panel. Too much sheathing inside the panel can make it difficult to work with the wires, will promote heat build-up, and will be a fuel source in the event of a panel fire. This condition should be corrected.

The amount of sheath in the panel does not contribute to heat buildup any more than when in the wall. The NEC only requires at least 6 inches of free conductor outside the sheath.

Jim and Robert should be able to say if that has changed.

Found it at E 3907.8 of the 2012 IRC
The cable sheath is continuous through the raceway
and extends into the enclosure beyond the fitting not
less than
/
inch (6.4 mm).

The minimum extension into the box remains at least 1/4".

I agree nothing has changed. I’m thinking that the 1/4" minimum extension would not apply to the metal panel enclosure in the OP.

I was merely trying to show that there is no maximum, but there is a minimum. :slight_smile:

Or should we say, good building practices…

For sure, it does look sloppy and follows for other places also at times.

Different codes and practices. Excessive sheathing would be a defect in Canada. Also, there once was a time when #12 came as white, just as #14 now do.

Why? Cause you don’t know…
I’m not playing this game.

How would this sheathing be any different than another foot of cable in the wall? Trying to understand.

The colored sheathing started here in the 80’s or so.

Wiring in walls is not the same as wiring in panels.
For one, there is much less chance of wiring arcing from a loose connection starting a fire in a wall versus a panel because there should not be any wiring connections in a wall. That surplus wiring sheathing in a panel will only fuel the fire.

Funny no one mentioned the lack of wire staples within 12" of the panel.

Post 6 from Jim:
At least one cable not fastened within 12" of the box.

Oops, missed that!

Not impressive…today the WHITE sheathing signifies that the inner conductors are 14 AWG. Been pretty much the standard now for years.

I have a good question…by the fact it looks like USE-2 (unless it’s has multiple ratings) that is being used, which is not Flame-Retardant you know…One could also assume that this is a “detached garage”. While I am just assuming that…if this is the case the lack of a GEC should also be on the list.

But again that would be pure speculation on my part.