New construction Panel

New construction- it appears these wires are short…is it cool they extended with wirenuts?

Splices are permitted in electrical panels.

7 Likes

even a brand new house? seems like shitty electrical work. …but ok.
so you would not call it out?

is there anything wrong with a wire that is not stripped back…like the bottom single wire?

I wouldn’t. I have to admit, the first time I saw an electrician use a wire nut in a panel I thought it was wrong, but I asked, I was politely corrected.

The wire should be stripped back, the sheathing is supposed to terminate no further than 1/2 inch inside the panel. I might mention it, but I certainly wouldn’t refer it out. Now that said, if I SEE something like that, I look harder at that particular circuit because it wasn’t done by a proper electrician.

1 Like

Other than looking unprofessional and ugly it’s not a code violation.

I agree it’s ugly especially for new construction but it is still code compliant.

7 Likes

There’s no maximum length, just a minimum. It only has to have at least 1/4" of sheathing left inside the panel.

4 Likes

Good catch. Thanks. l knew that but it was overridden in my head by a situation that happened in Honduras in 2006. We were installing these Hall heat seal machines, 3 phase RF beasts that weighed a ton(literally, more actually). The master electrician from my company had a local Honduran fella running NM. He told him he wanted no more than half an inch of sheath in the panels. Come about 5pm, time to go home for the day, he inspects the work…the guy left 1/2 METER of sheathing in the panel. Including all the extra wiring folded willy nilly. Since we had to have these things running the next morning, the yelling took a good 10 minutes to abate :).

We had spent the day setting and plumbing in a 200kw beast of a diesel generator on the other side of the factory. That thing sounded like a freight train running when it ran.

Daniel is correct the sheathing of NM cable has to extend 1/4" into a box and past the connector. This is a relatively new requirement added in the 2017 NEC. As of the 2020 NEC this would not apply to an NM cable entering a panel enclosure.

2 Likes

Winged Wire Connectors are fine and the splices and circuit conductor cables look clean & neat in the enclosure.
What am I missing here? I think it is a neat install. Compare this enclosure to the service panel or remote panels you see on a daily bases.

1 Like

I see conductor insulator, jacket/sheathing. Am I missing something, Mark.

He’s just commenting on the yellow NM cable that enters the bottom of the panel with about 2’ of the outer jacket on it. Ugly and screams of DIY but not an issue.

I would be more concerned with the lack of the MBJ (missing green screw) and no visible GEC.

1 Like

Robert, the jackets look about one inch long. Compare the exposed insulator length to the length of a winged wire nut.
As for having to splice circuits cables.
Say the electrician had to move the panel over several inches. How many times do changes occur when homes are being erected? Countless at times. That being said…That would force the premeasured circuit cables terminations to be extended and splicing takes over.
Personally, I think it is nice work. Nice enough to call professionally installed.

You didn’t read my post correctly. The original question was about the 2’ of yellow NM cable jacket entering the bottom of the panel in the first photo.

2 Likes

Could be a last minute buyer/architect change moved the panel far enough to need the splices. Most rough in work has enough extra cable to wrap all the way around a panel. . . . but then if you have to move it?

I concur. Please excuse me. I beg your pardon.

I was basing my opinion on the top yellow insulators . That lower circuit entering the bottom of the panel was likely added on afterwards. Purely hypothetical mind you.

1 Like

No hypothesis needed. :). Anyone who is does the top work, would not do the bottom work.
It’s too long, it isn’t routed, it’s not stripped.

Wouldn’t this be considered a double tap?

No, it is pigtailing 3, or more, conductors together, then only a single conductor goes to the breaker.

5 Likes

Consider why a double tap is prohibited. It is entirely a mechanical problem not electrical. In fact some breakers are constructed to allow “double” taps. The prohibition in those breakers not so equipped is to prevent a loose connection through the unequal pressure/grip provided by a terminal connection designed for one wire only.

6 Likes