National Occupational Standards focus group

Hello everyone.

I have just returned home after two days in Ottawa where I was part of a focus group who were reviewing the National Occupational Standards (NOS) for Canadian home and property inspectors.

In case you are not familiar with this document it was originally written in 2001. After nearly seven years, it was a little past its renew date …

As a National Certificate Holder, I volunteered to participate and was one of 12 home inspectors from across Canada who were guided through the review process by Kevin Sheppard and Jeff Griffiths of Griffiths Sheppard Consulting Group.

The NOS is a document of approximately 80 pages which defines the skills, knowledge and experience that competent home inspectors should have. This is the standard on which certification and accreditation is based.

The review was sponsored by the CMHC and took place at the Canadian Centre for Housing Technology (CCHT). The meeting rooms were in a show home that contained many examples of new housing technology, which in itself was well worth the journey.

During the two days, the entire document was reviewed and discussed in considerable detail.

The next stage of the process will include YOU.

What I mean by this is that the draft document will either be posted on this site, or a link to the location of the document will be given, and you will then have the opportunity to respond and comment. The consulting group will then compile the results. A report of the final results will also be made public, I presume.

I urge every home inspector in Canada to have a good look at the document and to send in your comments. This is a document that will influence guidelines for future registration, certification and legislation regarding the job you do. Now is your opportunity to have a say.

One thing I realized from going through the process is that it is much easier to inspect a house than it is to describe how to do it. The NOS attempts to describe everything that a competent home inspector should be doing, and the level of knowledge and experience that is needed to do the job proficiently.

This is a fabulous opportunity–so stay tuned. I will give you the information, or it will be made available to you, as soon as possible.

Thanks Paul.

Finally.
Thanks Paul. Great information and review. Well done.
Allan

I also say thanks to Paul. He volunteered and made his presence well known. Paul contributed greatly and we all appreciated his sacrifice and flying across the country for two intense days with other very experienced inspectors.

Paul is right about getting your feedback. The revised (draft)document will likely be made public within a week or two along with a survey asking for your comments, input or suggested changes.

Right now the consultants are putting all of our suggestions in a readable form so all Canadian Home Inspectors can have a look at it.

Bill Mullen

Just to keep everyone updated … the draft version of the NOS is now being checked (to see that they spelled our names right) and once we have sent corrections (if any) back to the consultants (by March 5th they have asked) then it will be available at some online location for your perusal and erudite opinion.

I’m sure you can’t wait … the plot is gripping. :slight_smile:

Thanks Paul. The tension is mounting!! :smiley: