Natural gas piping

Originally Posted By: jfeig
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve been noting nat gas piping as needing repair whenever I see galvanized pipe mixed in with black iron. Never seen it in writing but was told that this causes a galvanic reaction and will eventually leak.

I recently had a plumber insist to me that its ok to mix the fittings and he claims many municiple building inspectors approve it. Does anyone know where I can find something in writing on the subject?

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

“galvanized” pipe is steel/iron pipe with an added protector to it. usualy zinc, and it is infused by either electricity (almost like arc welded) or by super heating the steel and zinc. if you connect it to regular stee/iron pipe you haven’t realy introduced any “different” metal than what you have. but if you connect steel to copper, now you’ve made a situation for “dissimilar metal currosion” not exactly the same as “galvanic” currosion on an ionic level, so i’d say, if they used a sealant or “pipe dope” then it will be okay. not the best way to do it, but if the piping goes from outside to inside, and you follow “code” then you’ll see it alot. i don’t know of any issues with it. hope that helped icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: jsieg

I personaly don’t like it either. The truth of the matter is that I have never found anything that said you can not use galvinized fittings. The problem is that if anyone ever makes modifications to the gas lines & replaces any of those fittings with something different, thoes fittings can never be used for anything else but for gas lings. The gas inpregnates the fitting that is the reason for them being painted black. Black, never for water.

I want spell checker back!

Originally Posted By: apfaff

I was under the impression that Galvanizing can flake off and clog burner orifices etc. I was told its not allowed in Wisconsin as gas pipe.

Spell check, Download Google tool bar. It has a built in spell checker that works on all forms. Very handy!

http://toolbar.google.com

--
Aaron Pfaff
http://www.dedicatedhomeservices.com/
http://www.independentinspectors.org/wisconsin.html

Originally Posted By: jstewart1

Aaron,

Thats why you use drip legs on gas piping. When I was an active plumber we would never use galvanized on gas piping, simply for identification. There is nothing wrong with using gal. piping.

Jerry

Originally Posted By: apfaff

Identification, That make sense to.

I was told this by a master plumber trying to explain the local code and why it was necessary. I of course know about the drip legs function, but you know how codes are, sometimes they overlap just to make sure.