Need expert opinion

Dear Inspection Experts,

This is what it looks like in the roof valley of a house I want to purchase. I feel this needs to be fixed. I am dumb when it comes to construction. Can you please help me with it?

thanks
VJ

roof.JPG

It definelty needs to be repaired. Almost looks like you are in a wind zone area. The missing shingles are in the valley, which is where most roofs are prone to leak. The underside of that area should be checked for stains. You need to have a licened roofer complete these repairs. They should also check the roof out for other leaks and deficiencies. Just curious, but how old is that roof?

First of all VJ stop apologising for being ‘dumb’ about construction, you are obviously smart enough to know when something doesn’t look right and smart enough to ask for help.

The lower point of the valley that you photographed is totally screwed up! My guess is that there was a problem here with leakage possibly due to ice damming (admittedly I don’t know where you live or if you even get ice on the sidewalk, however I have found similar, yet not as extreme as this, repairs in areas where ice dams have formed) and a repair was made by removing the shingles and installing a metal flashing.

This repair is completely unacceptable and should be completely removed, proper water proof underlayment must be installed and the closed cut valley detail should be reinstalled. Expect to see this repair until the roof wears out and is replaced, a perfect match to the shingles is highly unlikely.

I would also question what I am seeing on the right side of the picture, there seems to be a roll in the roofing, it may just be where the repair was terminated however a closer examination of this should be made by a qualified contractor.

Other questions; where is the drip edge on the lower edge of the roof? and why is there no rain gutter on this area! What is keeping the water from soaking the ground along the foundation of the house? you may want to be certain to look closer at the foundation.

Finding a contractor to make the repair, search on the site www.certainteed.com for a roofing contractor that is following there training programs, it will be no guarantee of quality however it is a good place to start. You can also search this site on the contractors side for what a proper valley detail should look like and instruction on how it should be installed. Look under the ‘Landmark’ series of shingles which is similar to what is on your roof. Hopefully a brief study of what the proper install method is by you will help you to choose the right contractor to make the repair.

PS, I have made these repairs numerous times, don’t expect it to be inexpensive. $750 to $1500 would not be out of line.

Hope this is helpful

Hello Mr. Siegel,

This is a new construction built in Nov/Dec 2006. We discovered this and another brick overhang problem during inspection. There were some more problems with the roof like the decking board showing under shingles at some places, shingles trimmed too close to the edge of the roof-eves. We had some bad rains and freezing weather recently and I am afraid water may have flowed under the edges of shingles to the decking board.

Digressing, where can I find about my liability in case I want to cancel my contract based on these problems? I understand if you cannot give me legal advice. But resources to read will be very helpful.

I cannot tell how much I appreciate your and other inspectors’ time and attention. You are life and life-saving savers of laymen like me.

Thank you
VJ

Hello Mr. Siegel,

This is a new construction built in Nov/Dec 2006. We discovered this and another brick overhang problem during inspection. There were some more problems with the roof like the decking board showing under shingles at some places, shingles trimmed too close to the edge of the roof-eves. We had some bad rains and freezing weather recently and I am afraid water may have flowed under the edges of shingles to the decking board.

Digressing, where can I find about my liability in case I want to cancel my contract based on these problems? I understand if you cannot give me legal advice. But resources to read will be very helpful.

I cannot tell how much I appreciate your and other inspectors’ time and attention. You are life and life-saving savers of laymen like me.

Thank you
VJ

You need a “Professional and I mean Professional” home inspection, preferably by an inspector who is also a*** “Recognized EXPERT Witness***.”

DO NOT be surprised if he finds that the problems he finds are “repairable” and that they are under the builders warranty. If the house is less than 12-months old you SHOULD be covered.

• Stay away from an inspector who is a “Candidate” and is not fully certified or licensed.

• Stay away from any “inspector” who will offer to do ANY type of repairs to your home.

There are a million attorneys in the world. You need one who specializes in “Construction Litigation.”

Good Luck!

Do you really need “Recognized expert witness” to see that this is wrong? Seems to me that several REGULAR home inspectors and even a self proclaimed construction knowledge deficient person saw that it was wrong! Why do you ALWAYS RUN TO LAWYERS! No has even asked if VJ talked to the builder. Hell, maybe he can back out on the “based upon a satisfactory home inspection” clause.

Fully certified…I love it.Cerified by who or what? For 60 bucks I can set up a company here in Florida called the Home Inspector Gods that rule the world, and then “certify” myself. Does that make me certified?

I understand you want to help VJ, but instead of freaking him out, try to TALK to people. Does he/she have a Realtor…if the Realtor cannot help, go see the Realtor’s broker…

These are just the problems you can SEE. Imagine what may not be visible. I would have the home inspected prior to closing if possible and definately after moving in during any warranty period.

Hello all,

I canceled the contract and the builder gave me the release notice. He deducted a portion of the Earnest deposit for “administrative” purposes.

Their engineer admitted that the bricks were off on one side. But I had to measure and show the sales manager that the bricks were all off. The notes I gathered have been helpful.

I will keep my ears open for anything for the next few days. The builder perhaps let me go since hte market is hot here and the rate on that house has gone up since.

But I want to thank you all for your advice.

VJ

You also need to determine where all the water being channeled down that valley is going.

See, for example:

http://www.inspectionnews.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000944.html