Neutral and ground Crossover bar?

Looking for a little help with this Ground /Neutral crossover bar that for some reason I missed seeing this at the time of inspection.

After looking at the photos it looks like it’s damaged or am I missing something here?

Greatly appreciate some help!!

I don’t see any damage. It looks like anti-oxidant paste.
But I don’t see a bonding screw anywhere


I agree it looks like anti-oxidant paste adjacent to the neutral terminal not damage. The panel label should tell you where the MBJ should be installed in the neutral bar.


Yes that’s what I was writing it up for Not Bonded - then I wasn’t sure about that bar -

Sometimes when I don’t do an inspection for month my mind blanks out on me -Haha

Thanks for help !

I could be wrong, but isn’t this the bonding screw?

You have to really blow-up the picture to see it hiding behind the neutral conductor.



I think you’re on to something Kevin. Last week, I came across this same older Homeline panel from a house built in1990 and had trouble locating the bonding screw.


Looks like it could be. I couldn’t tell from the photo that’s why I suggested he takes a look at the panel label to find the proper location.


Yeah it could be / however now I’m wondering if I should say anything on the report about it??

Could not confirm if it was bonded? Maybe?

I don’t see anything on panel door about bonding location ?

Thank you Kevin - I’ll be looking for that now in future when inspecting these type panels!!

1 Like

I did, only because there were other issues with panel that needed correction by a licensed electrician.

1 Like

You’re welcome. :+1:

Unfortunately Square D doesn’t include this information on the panel label like some other manufacturers do.

Normally on the label inside of Square D panels.


This is where your ‘wiggy’ comes in handy. You know the neutrals and grounds are bonded, they share the same bus bar, you need to know if the enclosure is bonded. Wiggy from either hot leg to enclosure will tell.


I thought so too but I looked through a bunch of archived photo’s that I have and I couldn’t find a Square D panel with an interior label that mentioned the MBJ. :thinking:

What heck is a Wiggy ?? And what’s MBJ stand for??

I’m fairly certain I’ve seen older SQ D panels with an interior label identifying the bond location. Problem is that the panels are typically so full that you would really have to “dig in” to move the wiring out of the way enough to see it. Not something I really like doing. I will try to use my long insulated screwdriver to carefully shift the wiring, but generally speaking it is sketchy at best.

1 Like

A “wiggy” is a solenoid type tester.

Main Bonding Jumper

1 Like

@ rsteinmetz To further clarify, a “wiggy” or solenoid tester, vibrates in your hand when the solenoid is activated by a live circuit which you can feel by the vibration in your hand (as well as a light or orange bar on the scale). This lets you know that what you’re measuring is truly a hot/live circuit. When measuring with a multimeter, sometimes you will see a phantom voltage, typically induced by other circuits, that is not actually “hot” but you’ll read a voltage. A sparky may be able to explain it better than me :grinning:

1 Like

And to further clarify… “Wiggy” is a Brand name of an old timey solonoid tester that is no longer manufactured, so all the old farts will call any solonoid tester a “Wiggy”, so it has become a slang term, much the same as Romex instead of NM-cable.