SubPanel bonded, ?

Looked at subdivision house yesterday for the Seller, built in 1986. Both were GE 125 Amp panels.

Service panel on exterior did not have visible ground/ground rod, etc. The only conduit to the ground was under meter can. No notations for ‘ufer’ ground.

Sub distribution panel on interior had lots of internal paint/drywall overspray. Someone had scrubbed the paint off an upper corner of the neutral bar and inserted bonding screw. Left a note in panel ‘Bonding screw, do not remove’

They had also taken a piece of multistrand and screwed one end to the back of the panel; the other end screwed to the bottom of the neutral bar. Note here, too, ‘do not disconnect this ground’.

Infomation is that an electrician did all this when the buyer purchased the house 6 yrs ago.

I refered for further evaluation by electrician.

The subpanel bonding screw and added grounding strap cancelled the separation of neutral and ground. Right ?

Thanks,
Linda

100_6533a (Small).jpg

100_6496 (Small).jpg

Linda,

If the panel on the right is the " remote distribution panel" then the connection between the grounded ( Neutral ) and the grounding buss bar should not take place as you stated.

Also due to all the overspray onto the termination points I would most certainly put that in your report…and I will assume that the connection between these two panels is only (3) conductors and should be (4) unless of course they are connected by metalic conduit…but I can’t see that taking place…

Seems to me that they know they did it wrong and in an effort to ATLEAST feel they are providing a fault current path they wanted the bonding jumper in place…BUT we know this can’t happen in this senerio…so most certainly call it out and let the electrician go through the mess.

Holy crap, that’s a lot of over spray. The whole panel is ruined.

Guess masking tape is too much. Guess removing the busses was too much.

Geezz…

Thanks, guys. The picture on the left is the service panel, right is the sub. I would almost bet the overspray was original to the house. 3 wire feed,

My thought, too, was that it was pretty much all wrong. Just wanted to reinforce my thoughts.

There was new overspray around the furnace area, but some of that had been replaced in the last 5 to 6 years.

This is the same builder that puts an electric hot water heater in the lower part of mechanical closet, electric furnace in the upper. The return air comes through the door grate, across the water heater, and up in to the furnace. It’s ok to do this according to the officials of San Antonio.

Go figure **

Also, the right cabinet and panelboard are defective as well, because the integrity of the condition of the electrical equipment and connections

Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, cannot be damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues.

There cannot be any damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.