New A/C Regs

Originally Posted By: mboyett
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Michael, I don't know about you, but I frequently report on older heating and cooling units that are of low efficiency, especially as these thend to be the older models that are more likely to fail anyway, were I to see an 8 SEER unit, I would allready be recommending that an upgrade may be a wise idea based soley on energy usage.

Regards

Gerry

Yes, I do too. I guess my concern is that I’ve heard that the newer 13 SEER units are physically larger and heavier than existing units and that could have a significant impact if/when my client decides to replace an ageing or defective system. Worse case scenario might be that a 13 SEER system wouldn’t fit where the existing system is or that the weight would be too much for an air handler closet floor or something. I’ve already received a couple of inquiries from Realtors who are getting information on the new requirements during their MCE classes and such. I will want to better understand both the new reg’s and what the new systems might require to be installed properly.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rchebook

The new SEER ratings and sizes only apply to the outdoor units,the heat pumps and the condensers. The higher the SEER the bigger,MUCH BIGGER, The equipment

Excellent! So, that means that if the evaporator coil gets replaced with a new one at the same time as the condensing unit, as it should, then it will be essentially the same size and weight as the old one. That’s good to know. I occasionally see a packaged unit so that could be an issue but that doesn’t happen very often in a residential application.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rwashington

How do you determine SEER rating on older units? Is it somewhere on the nameplate? I think it would be a good descriptive note to add to my reports.

Right now I am just saying something along the lines of "Trane 3 ton AC compressor built in 1988 installed at West side."

Any other descriptives you all use?

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

I’m with Gerry. I report on older units, and let the buyer know that they should budget for a new one, based on efficiency and end-of-life concerns.

I don’t think I would be concerned with the physical size of a unit that will be installed in the future. After all, our job is to report conditions at the present time. I would let the A/C installer that replaces the unit worry about that.

Originally Posted By: rmyers1

Gentlemen:

Can you please explain to me, how a manufacture can increase the SEER rating of the system, without increasing the size of the evap coil. Think about it.

Originally Posted By: bking

SEER ratings involve many other things such as the type and pressure of refrigerant, variable speed airhandlers, outdoor fan control to regulate head pressure and firmware coding for various operational states etc.

Some outdoor units are smaller (shorter) due to double walled coils. My 3.5 ton looks smaller than the 3 ton and they are exact age (2001) and brand (Bryant).