New and interested in HI with questions

Originally Posted By: Michael Quasarano
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Please Read. This is not a pitch for employment

I am recent civil engineering graduate who is looking to supplement my income with additional part time work. I am interested in home inspection because it is somewhat relevant to my chosen career and can provide more valuable experience than delivering pizza! My questions are:

1. Do I need formal HI training to work in this business? As I mentioned I am a civil engineer and I have some construction experience. (And common sense too.)

2. It appears that most HI run their own one-man(or woman) business. Are there companies/individuals that would hire a part timer?

3. Is it even possible to work part time? Or is this strictly a full time business?

4. What are the chances of being offered training/insurance from a company? Like I said I am interested in supplementing my income without incurring a hefty expense (college loans are enough now!)

5. I understand in my home state (NJ) that as of May 2004, all home inspectors must be licensed as a HI. Could this affect me in any way? (I have passed the EIT, but not a PE yet). Any comments from NJ HI would help on this one.

I thank anyone greatly who could help with ANY questions

Michael Quasarano

Originally Posted By: joconnell

Michael-

1. In many states, not required. In all states highly (personally) recommended.
2. Some do, call locally and ask.
3. I (currently) inspect part time, so yes it is possible.
4. Slim to none.
5. Yes. Read here: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=1172

All of the above are based solely on my opinion and experience, which may or may not be worth much. Look for responses from other members to compliment this?

--
Regards,

Joe O'Connell

Originally Posted By: bhendry

Michael,

I would suggest trying to get on with an engineering firm that does HI's. I googled up http://www.heimer.com/ as a NJ outfit, for example (no idea if they're OK). If nothing else, there will be some PE's there to ask if they'll endorse your PE when you're ready (need 5 PE's in NJ?)

HI is a lot different than knocking down a CE degree and the EIT. I never needed a free body diagram with a HI; never summed the forces to zero.

There are failure modes for house components that would amaze you. There are do-it-yourself repairs and modifications that are astounding (in a bad way). Some of the "approved" methods and materials will leave you for a loss for words. A good HI school can help with these types of problems.

...hope this helps,

Bill