Originally Posted By: Michael Quasarano
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
Please Read. This is not a pitch for employment
I am recent civil engineering graduate who is looking to supplement my income with additional part time work. I am interested in home inspection because it is somewhat relevant to my chosen career and can provide more valuable experience than delivering pizza! My questions are:
1. Do I need formal HI training to work in this business? As I mentioned I am a civil engineer and I have some construction experience. (And common sense too.)
2. It appears that most HI run their own one-man(or woman) business. Are there companies/individuals that would hire a part timer?
3. Is it even possible to work part time? Or is this strictly a full time business?
4. What are the chances of being offered training/insurance from a company? Like I said I am interested in supplementing my income without incurring a hefty expense (college loans are enough now!)
5. I understand in my home state (NJ) that as of May 2004, all home inspectors must be licensed as a HI. Could this affect me in any way? (I have passed the EIT, but not a PE yet). Any comments from NJ HI would help on this one.
I thank anyone greatly who could help with ANY questions