New Construction Roof Sheathing Gaps

I have a client with a new build in Bradenton, Florida. I have not been to the property personally yet. These photos were provided by my concerned client.
The gaps between the roof sheathing are up to 3/4". I have never seen gaps this large between sheathing. The roof will be a concrete tile roof. I do not yet know how it will be fastened; screws or foam adhesive. I would be more concerned if it were an asphalt shingle roof, but still…
Do any of you know of any code that should be adhered to with regard to the spacing in the sheathing? OR is this just left up to workmanship and warranty? After a year the builder gets to sail off into the sunset.

I would rather have that gap than tight joints. JMO, YMMV

3 Likes

With gaps that big the clips are useless.

download (4)

what Larry said…too tight is a much bigger problem… I can’t imagine that spacing being a problem for concrete tile…

1 Like

Morning, Michael. Make your client aware of the situation. Remember we do not report code. Table R503.2.1.1(1) of the APA Engineered Wood Construction Guide for specs. Are H-clips required?
H-Clips are referred to in the APA Guide as “edge support."
1/8” gap for expansion is required. The sheathing edge support is inconsistent. The sheathing will buckle over time.

Putting a comment like this in a report is never advised. See InterNACHI SOP exclusion section 2.2 I (g).

Morning, Martin. Hope this post finds you well.
I concur. I was using the wording as an example what may occur over time.
Poor choice of words. Next time I will be more careful.
Keep well.

1 Like

Thanks Robert :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When a roof requires a “solidly” sheathed decking and the spacing of the rafters or the trusses require H clips, the gap should, ideally, be no more no less than 1/8" The modern clips ensure this gap when the sheathing is installed tight against the clip. From there, the gap should be no greater than 1/4" or you may fail the town’s inspection.

The best thing to do would be to talk to your building inspector and ask them what they accept as “okay” beyond 1/8"

Thank you all so much for your helpful insight, opinions, and wisdom. You each confirmed my beliefs and have given me a bountiful reward of comments regarding the over-spacing of sheathing.

Now, don’t all jump on me at once, I had no way of knowing this as I am not due to perform my framing/pre-drywall inspection until next Wednesday, but pictures can be very very deceiving…
The pictures were provided by my client as one of a few concerns they had before our scheduled inspection next week.

The buyer walked the property with the job Super today who confirmed that her pictures were fooling her. Apparently, the giant space we are all seeing is from the light amplifying through the white underlayment in the bright mid-day sun! Which makes total sense to me now! I was wondering why some of the clips looked “bow-tie” shaped! The actual spacing is correct with gaps not exceeding 1/4". This was really blowing my mind, because I have seen this builder’s work on several occasions in the past and had never seen their sheathing look like this. Big sigh of relief.

I hope you all find this as comical and educational as I do. I apologize if any of you feel as though I may have wasted your time and effort. I was not my intention. I was doing the best that I could with what I had been given.

Larry and Robert, I see you guys on here almost all of the time and have always valued your candor and wisdom towards inspector’s questions. Martin and Simon, I see you here a bunch and appreciate you as well. James and Scott you guys were right on as well.

Thank you gentlemen!

2 Likes

Michael, you are quite welcome.
Larry’s The Best!

As to, " and have always valued your candor and wisdom towards inspector’s questions." May I add humorously with a little tong and cheek, the old adage remains true today as it did in yesteryear. “While some may agree, others maynot.” :wink:

The point I am alluding to is, we all try our best to help members on the MB, or at least most of us. None of us are perfect. I for one know this to be true, speaking for myself. Opening a dialog is very important.

Keep well.
Robert.

Bumpety-Bump!

1 Like