New construction roof valley

Brand new house…I have seen this valley done a different way. Is this ok?

Not enough info…

1 Like

Its the front shingles with the gaps or cracks.

Well, where is the property?
What type of underlayment is under the tile? Is it full peel & stick, hot mop mod bit, something else?

If you went on the roof you’ll likely see lots of gaps and cracks around transitions, intersections, flashings, plumbing vents, roof vents, etc on tile roofs.

2 Likes

Just adding to Dominic who is spot on in my opinion.

https://inspectapedia.com/BestPractices/Clay_Tile_Roof_Flashing.php

I’m from Boston now living in Florida and honestly I know very little about clay/ceramic tiles. I know cracking and missing is obviously bad. And pools too. The good news my biz is starting to take off but there are gaps in my education for sure. learning everyday. I built a house and 2 additions and renovated 40 properties and observed 100’s of home inspections as realtor. … but again still gaps in my knowledge.

2 Likes

Most modern tile roofs in Florida have the water proofing layer “under” the tile. The tile is protecting the underlayment from exposure and UV.
Not necessarily applicable to many older tile roofs, as some of those systems in our State had different designs, as they were not fully watertight below.

2 Likes

thank you!

whats the biggest concern I should have and look for with ceramic roof tiles? I tend to see a bunch of cracked mortar …especially at the ends

Same here. And it’s why I pointed to the course on NACHI as a resource. Many people have helped me on this forum by just pointing out resources.

thank you Brian!..you have been one of the cool ones. I stayed away for quite sometime cuz of the peanut gallery. I am looking to partner with some pool guys/electricians, plumbers, roofers just so have access to the “experts”. Yeah unfortunaly I’ve always been a fire ready shoot guy…lol

Do you used Spectora?

2 Likes

I do not, but I know a guy who is sorta into that. He is usually pretty helpful and not always a jerk. :smile: @ruecker

2 Likes

Interesting how people correlate “being cool” and using Spectora. :thinking: :man_shrugging: :grinning:

4 Likes

nope unrelated…I came on here a several month ago and the peanut squad attacked me for inquiring about a inexpensive inferred camera…and Brian wasn’t a dick.
I don’t know any better… but I love spectora. BUT he would be 10 times cooler if he did! LOL

2 Likes

He’s already so cool that if he started using Spectora he might explode in an awesome display of cool overload.

3 Likes

Well, they’re not ceramic, but most commonly concrete, with a smattering of clay tile mixed in.

There’s a ton of observable defects to look for. I recommend an apprentice or mentoring position on a bunch of tile roofs, get it any way you can, even if you have to pay someone in your area.

Mortar at the hip and ridge caps is almost always in need of repair.
Squirrels love to chew the lead flashings.
Slipped tiles are common.
Fully cracked tiles are common (not the small corner chips).
“Handyman” or homeowner repairs will be visible, such as roof tar or goo in an attempt to seal a leak.

You have to devote a large amount of time in the attic, as that’s where these roofs will show the problems and leaks (past & current).

3 Likes