Florida Tile Roof Inspection Help Please

Hi guys & gals,

I need some help identifying the deficiencies with this tile roof I inspected yesterday. I’m not very well versed in tile roofs. I know the obvious things like the broken/cracked, slipping & lifted tiles are an issue, but what about cracked &/or missing pointing or the ridge/hip tiles installed opposite of the slope? Are these things a big deal or is it just cosmetic? The missing pointing just screams “wind please take me away”. Its clearly sloppy work, but what is critical and what is cosmetic? I don’t want to make a mountain out of a molehill, but there just looks to be a lot not right about this installation. Especially for a $1M new construction home.

No I did not walk on the roof. I typically don’t as I’m not confident enough to ensure I don’t do more harm than good. Also this builder prohibits inspectors from walking the roof, no matter the materials. However I used my ladder at various locations, my 60x zoom camera, windows where available & even the house next door that was still under construction.

Thank you for your assistance!

IMG.jpg

IMG.jpg

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

Also, what is the consensus on gutter downspouts terminating on tile roofs? I’m not a fan due to the granular loss on shingled roofs, but tile is hardier. I think I’d feel more comfortable with it if it was directing the water in the same direction of the tiles.

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

Any breach in the tiles that will allow water to enter the space beneath the tiles increases the chance of roof leakage (say that in your report). Note gaps in the tile roof in your report and mention whether you saw evidence of leakage in the home.
Recommend repair or replacement of problems that will allow water to enter the space beneath the tiles.

Concrete tiles deteriorate through erosion of the cement between the sand particles. Gutter discharge from upper roofs will accelerate the rate of erosion of tiles exposed to downspout discharge. Don’t recommend correction, but report deteriorated areas, comment on whether you saw evidence of leakage at those areas, and maybe, if appropriate, recommend downspout configuration changes when the roof drainage system is replaced. Sometimes it’s just a judgement call.