New Construction Window Installation

For the HI’s that inspect new Construction on phases or what not, take heed to the newer Manufacturers installations.

In the past year, more strict installation requirements have been set forth by the Window Manufactures.
It all comes with the windows as they are shipped and very easy for the installers and anybodyelse, for that matter to even know that the window is installed wrong.

Here are a few links that may help some to see how some Manufactures are now requireing their windows to be installed.

http://www.marvin.com/default.aspx?page=Installation_Instructions

http://www.andersenwindows.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf Content-Disposition%3A+inline%3B+filename%3D0005261.pdf%3B&blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1190287929131&ssbinary=true

http://www.empirepacificwindows.com/pdfs/AAMA%20fin%20Instructions.pdf

Again, hope some of these links will interest some.

Marcel :):smiley:

Thanks Marcel wonderful reading lots to ingest

Requiring? Where is it in the docs does it say that method is Required?

Maybe the correct wording is “recommended”. However if you encounter a problem with the product because you did not install the product according to “recommended installation specs” they are not “required” to repair or refund because of an issue that may arise.:frowning:

How manufacturers word their installation instructions is very important.

Last fall I inspect a new home where upon the builder did not “properly” flash culture stone on the home I was inspecting.

Long story short, after speaking with the Vice President of the manufactured product and providing pictures, he agreed it needed to be flashed better.

The builder’s site supervisor, and the AHJ determined the wording by the manufacturer made it optional…the key word being “recommended.” The AHJ agreed the instructions were poor and he sided with the builder.

I contacted Cornerstone about same and advised them that it would behove them to reconsider the wording being that they way the installers are applying it for at least one particular builder in Charlotte, will result in failure in the near future.

I advised my client to hold onto my report as well the names and telephone numbers of everyone I spoke with, provided them a copy of the manufacturer instructions along with sections on the building code in regards to flashing.

For those who do phased inspections, other than having a grasp on code, you need to be well versed in manufacturer installation instructions of various products,
especially those dealing with those areas that effect the building envelope.

What may be good new is that there is a meeting this week of the Building Department Inspectors in Va, and they asked for and got many cards with links to my Window page. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Window%20Flashing.htm. It would be great to see them adopt a sensible measure.

Darren, my thanks goes to Linas for a better explanation.
Excuse my French thinking.

The instructions for Anderson Windows as posted in the link come within the packaging material of the Window when delivered.
As like any product you buy today, instructions are given for it’s proper installation.

If the material instructions are read adequately, one will find that it says, “Follow these Instructions Properly” end quote.

Instructions are for typical, new wood framed-wall Construction with weather protection in place.
Flanges on the unit will not properly flash and seal the window.

Quote; “Follow these instructions carefully” end quote.

Now being French, I take that as required method of properly flashing their windows to insure full warranty on the properly installed unit.

Wouldn’t You?

Marcel :);):smiley:

that’s the way i read it Marcel…and followed it to a tee on my last anderson installation even though i thought it quite the pain in the arse and didn’t completely agree with it…

That is right Jim, and I agree that sometimes myself disagree with the way it is done.

For example, Anderson’s instructions wants to use sill pans, but fail to realize that when they foam the perimeter of the window, the sill pan on the inside is found to be delinquent to the design intended.
If for whatever reason that the water would find its way in, due to the foam, it would be blocked. Therefore, it should be a permeable material like fiberglass, but that is not focused upon.
There is always room for improvement in installations of many. :slight_smile: