New Construction

This is the home I inpsected for my client today. They want the builder to give them their money back, and he is fighting them all the way. This home failed its first foundation inspection. Builder says it can be fixed no problem.

712interiorconcreteslab.jpg

712interiorconcreteslab.jpg

712Closeupoffrontcracks.jpg

712frontofhome.jpg

712frontcracks.jpg

712insidewall.jpg

One more picture

712cutoutslab.jpg

Was this house built on 10 feet of non-compacted fill, a land fill, or a sink hole?

If this builder says he can fix this with no problem, I would really like to meet him. Who in hell is he bull##itting.??

Marcel :shock: :frowning:

My client paid an extra $30,000 to hve the elevation raised, if you can believe that.

It just ceases to amaze me how many CRAPPY builders there are out there!! It seems they are just getting WORSE with time!..wow

Unbelieveable!!!

Time to recommend a Structural Engineer or a reputable foundation contractor. It looks like there’s a lot of liability (money) attached to this one.

Cosmetic damage is not within the scope of most of my inspections. :-;; :???: :-k ](*,)

Apparently, the Builder feels the same way RR. :wink:

Marcel

suggestions for some of these knothead builders…G.C…

dip his butt in brown gravy and lock him in a small room with a wolverine who`s high on angel dust.

crucify em at halftime on Monday Night Football, and crucifyem upside-down and, like St Peter, feet up, head down. Couldn`t wait to hear Tony Kornheiser explain how the nails would have to go in at a certain angle.

bring back beheadings! have these beheadings up on a small hill and have 5 numbered holes at bottom of hill and we could bet on which hole the head rolls into!

William,
I don’t know anything about Florida soil or building requirements but in Missouri , where I build , footings are required to go on undisturbed soil.
Any time a fill or soil compaction issue occurs it must be engineered and the stamped engineer documents have to be approved by the building authority before anything else is done.
I would find out if this is the case for your client as you indicated the home was built on fill.If anyone ever asked me to build on fill I would happily walk away from that job.I have a fine reputation and would like to keep it that way.
The builder should have that document and so should building planning and zoning.The existance or the lack thereof that document is a good place to start looking for facts.

Cheremie

That is awful!

As Cherimie is pointing out, that document would be from a Geotech firm which would indicate soil bearing capacities along with field density test results from the field testing as the fill was being placed.
Buildings are built on fill all the time, but there are stringent procedures to follow and is usually monitored by a Geotech Firm.

Finding out if this was done should answer all your questions to the structural failures.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

I’m thinking some more on this.
If the documentation checks out this problem could also have a good deal to do with the actual pour of the footings.
Here we must pour the footing in one pour as a monolith.
The foundation contractor could have ran short of concrete and ended up with a cold joint by the time the concrete plant truck arrived with more.
You might be able to get the p.o.tickets from the plant.Genarally those tickets have an in and out time on their drivers.
You can also find out the “recipie” on the actual batch mix from the plant.You would do this because it would tell you if the concrete psi was within an acceptable range for your geological area.
For my area 2500 psi is standard but I like to go 3000.The foundation is never the place anyone should shave the cost on.
It could also mean re-bar failure or total lack of re-bar.But since it was inspected I can’t imagine that is something an inspector would miss as that is one of the main things they are supposed to be looking for.

Hope this helps.
Cheremie

Cheremie; Are you following me?? ha. ha.

I guess the bottom line would be that for an SOP HI, you would note what you see and report it and leave it up to the Client to do as he or she pleases, right??

The problem with this place way exceeds what would normally be expected of an HI to resolve.
The problem existed with the Builder as you and me know, and there is nothing we can do about it.
If there is, I am willing to help if I can.
It is unfortunate that innocent people in the buyers market for such places are so positioned in the Twilight Zone of circumstances of an incompatible Builder with no conscience other than money benefits.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>
P.S. I don’t think that the Builder of this house has heard of dry density weights and Proctors of the Soil so compaction test can be initiated.

You caught me :wink: .

Naaa…I really just keep chewing on this .
These are the sort of things that get under my skin because this type of builder/G.C. makes it difficult for those of us who really are trying to look out for our customers.
Kicking thoughts around with another builder , HI , and potential customers can only benifit me.
I can’t say that I’ve ever thought about doing a sub-standard job just so I can line my pockets .The best pocket liner I can get is a satisfied customer who will refer me over and over.
As for the builder who say’s that problem can be fixed , I’d like to watch.I’ll set up a grill and two chairs, (you’re invited ).
As far as a home inspectors point of view , If this was inspected “pre-sale” and before the failure was there , I would feel extremely sorry for that inspector because there is no way the inspector would have seen that.So guess who else’s phone would be ringing ?

O.K. I’m done now.

These Poor People Don’t Need A Hi , They Need A Lawyer!

Cheremie;

If you got the grill, I’ll bring the Hot Dogs and Hamburgers and a cold pack, mabe two, watching this Builders easy fix might take a while. ha. ha.

Marcel

Guys,

They do have a lawyer in this case. The problem is the builder does not want to give in. He thinks he can “fix” the problem. We all know better.

So far all I have given the attorney is comtaminated soil, no vapor barrier, contaminated termite treatment. Hopefully if he learns he is in for a fight he might relent and run with his tail between his legs.

I’m also wondering how the nine holes he cut in the slab will effect the performance of the slab.

In Florida you must identify the code violation for a SS558 notice and the contractor has a specifed time to answer, 30 days plus, before you can cause an action in the courts.
It is not as easy to get out of these contracts as you would think. We are not talking about loosing a few thousand down here, usually tens to hundreds of thousands.

Maybe by then the ground will just swallow the house and destroy the evidence.:lol:
What house???:-;;