New "Encapsulated" crawlspace problems

Hi Guys:

This is my first post. While I am NACHI certified, I only do flooring, moisture and mold inspections (see www.flooringinspector.com). Recently I have been seeing more and more of what is called “encapsulated crawlspaces”. While the theory and method usually works, sometimes it doesn’t. And, in fact there are times when the liner is floating on water!

Presently I am looking @ a $75k encapsulated crawlspace that is a terrible. My question is; although we have standards to inspect both Closed and Open crawlspaces, we have none to inspect these Encapsulated ones. Can anyone offer any advice that I might be able to use to @ least compare, so that the Consumer can force the Contractor to come back and try to get this thing to work/dry the crawlspace?

Sincerely,
Dale from central TN

Dale i have not seen any problems here as of yet

NACHI:

Please correct that I am not a member!

Sincerely,
Dale

NACHI:

Please correct the note that says “I am not a member”!

Sincerely,
Dale

Staff can’t do it for you. Only you can change your posts to member status. Log out of the message board, then log back in with your InterNACHI member username and password.

BTW: There is an entire members-only half of the message board that you can’t see until you log in as a member.

I hope you mean’t 7.5k, if someone paid 75k…:shock:

The issue is likely with improper grading, lack of downspout water control and possibly ground water seeping up. It may also need french drains.

The crawlspace system should not have been installed on top of a bad water problem.

Hi Guys:

Yes, I know what the problem is, what I need is standards to grade it by. Does anyone have any suggetsions?

Sincerely,
Dale

Hi gys:

I’m just checking if my “non-member” was removed?

Yes, it is a $75k apartment “encapsulated” crawlspace.

BTW, I don’t have a problem finding why it’s not working. What I need is standards to inspect it by. Does anyone have any recommendations? If it goes to court, my report should be quoting more than my testing/results.

Sincerely,
Dale

Hi Guys:

Maybe I’ll get the nack of this board soon. I am logged in as a member for sure now.

Yes, this is a $75k for the encapsulation only, about 30,000 sq ft apartment. I understand the moisture issues, that’s what I do. What I am asking is for “encaspulation standards”, so that we can hold the Contractor to them

Sincerely,
Dale

Where are you located?

I have looked for the same information awhile back. I cannot find any crawlspace liner manufactures that does not allow the liner to be installed over water. These crawlspace liners are basically pool liners, so I was not surprised that the manufacturer allowed this.

Hi :

I am located in central TN. I agree that it is pool liner (like) material, but it is only 20mil thick, (far less than a pool liner).

I really need to prepare this for court. Not that I have a problem proving the crawlspace was not up to standards for a closed crawlspace, but also I need to quote standards for “encapsulation” even if it is the liner manufacture’s.

(NACHI) It is strange that I am logged in under my NACHI login, but it still shows I am not a member.

Sincerely,
Dale

But you aren’t logged into the message board with your InterNACHI member username and password.

Log out of the message board (link in top right corner). Close window. Close browser. Go back in and log in with your InterNACHI member username and password.

You are currently missing out (you can’t see them), on the members-only portions of this message board.

Dale send me your email Roycooke@sympatico.ca

http://www.propools.com/On_Ground_Pools-Equipment-Vinyl_Liner.php

If you any get any information that says it is not allowed, please email me at jbraun@mo.nachi.org .

Thanks!

Advanced Energy is in North Carolina; they may be able to help or co-serve as expert witness…

http://www.crawlspaces.org/

Hi Brian:

Thanks for the Advanced Energy info. They have invited me to a seminar, and I will attend, end of this month.

Sincerely,
Dale