New Florida 1802 wind/Mit Form

Gregg, Where is the April 2010 date coming from? As of today (3/31) the “official form” on the OIR web-site is the Rev 07/07 form.

All, I was in Tallahassee today spoke with the Office of Insurance Regulation regarding the new wind mit form. The actual go live date has been briefly postponed pending some things happening legislatively and administratively. As of this AM, the new form will not go live until late April. If I hear anything to the contrary, I will post it here. Also, for those of you that are doing wind mits independently, my suggestion would be to complete both versions of the form when you do an inspection starting tomorrow. No matter which form you fill out, I’m sure multiple insurers will find fault and want the other form- just to be difficult. So, I would complete both versions of the forms. Steve Taylor Taylor Inspection Services, Inc. Atlantic Beach, Florida 32233 904-206-0370 www.taylorinspectionservices.com

Steve,

Thanks for the information. I sure wish we could stop that form from going into effect. Is anyone else planning on raising their rates due to the new form?

I am seriously considering it

Some local contractors are doing them for $65.

Sure, because what they really want is the repair work.:twisted:

Yes I too can go online where I can not find the permit for my roof which I have in a file, talked to the county inspector while here or my neighbors whole house generator that I also talked to the inspector during the final. Good luck, I hope they did a far better job in your county.

As of today, 4/2/2010 the new form (Rev 02/10) has been posted as the “official Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form” I would think that any inspections using the old form could be considered invalid.

Well that sure is bad news. I guess I better enjoy this vacation because things are gonna be a little different when I return.

Here’s something to ponder:

[FONT=Times New Roman]From the new (02/10) form:

From the new (02/10) form:
**Individuals signing this form must have their license or certificate in an “Active” status at time of the inspection. **
I, __________________________ am a qualified inspector and I personally performed the inspection
[FONT=Arial]
From the MSFH web-site

**Certification of Inspectors
Due to the expiration of the My Safe Florida Home program on June 30, 2009, we are no longer certifying wind inspectors. A list of inactive inspectors associated with the program has been provided to allow insurance companies to verify that the Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Forms (Form 1802) submitted by homeowners participating in the program were completed by qualified, certified inspectors. Click here](http://www.mysafefloridahome.com/images/Inspector%20Lists/Inactive%20Inspectors%20063009.pdf)for a complete list of inspectors associated with the My Safe Florida Home program.

It would seem to me that none of the WCE folks, unless they are contractors, engineers…whatever, are authorized to perform these inspections!!!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Well at least that is some good news.

Somehow I don’t think the clerks at Citizens will see it my way!

Good Morning all, Some bad news with respect to wind mitigation inspections: Senator Bennett has caved to special interests (insurance industry lobby) and removed the provision from his bill SB 648 that would have formally recognized licensed home inspectors as authorized to complete the wind mitigation inspection and form. He has also removed reference to the MSFH inspectors. - So it looks like they are out as well. You can view the changes by going to www.flsenate.gov and then put in 648 into the bill tracker at the left side of the page. Once on the bill look for bar code amendment 503278. Click on the PDF of that amendment and go to lines 2004-2006. That amendment would have recognized licensed home inspectors as approved to sign of on wind mits in FS 627.711. Senator Bennett filed the next bar code amendment at 5:00 PM last night. See bar code amendment 834342. Click on the PDF and go to pages 76-77 and look at lines 2141-2204. That amendment removes licensed home inspectors from the list in 627.711 that was in his earlier version of his bill. It also makes several other changes to the requirements. This bill will go before the Senate Community Affairs Committee tomorrow at 8 AM. He was required to have any amendments posted by 5PM last night. It appears that he waited till the last minute to post it so we would not have time to complain and he would not have to defend the change. It is very disappointing how our elected officials can be influenced by special interests- rather that doing the right thing. For those of you that live in Senator Bennett’s district, perhaps you could call his office to voice your concern and disappointment with him. This change will limit the choices for the consumer and exclude licensed home inspectors from doing inspections.

Okay, Steve or others, where do we go from here? I have to profess ignornace of the inner-workings of the legislative system. Can the language of the bill be changed as it procedes through the senate? Is it limited to up or down votes in the senate at this point? Do we have to wait until (or if) it passes the senate and moves to the house for changes to be made? At this point, what in your estimation, is the best way that we individually be sure our voices are heard by the right people.

On a related matter, both barcode versions of SB 648 appear to make a major change to the defination of “home inspection services” in the home inspector licensing section of this bill. The current defination appears to include 4-point, roof certification, and other limited system inspections as requiring a home inspector license. The proposed bill removes the wording “one or more of” from the defination and appears to remove some types of inspections from requiring a home inspection license. This is located at SB 648, barcode 834342, line 509. I may have missed it, but I haven’t seen it mention before. It seems to me, if it is important that the public recieves at least some minimum level of quality on a home purchase inspection, the same should hold true for an older home where an insurer requires a 4-point or other systems inspections.

So who will do wind mitigation inspections?

The question really is who has the training and info to do them correctly? Right now we know who can do them, it is written on the form. No one has an answer as to how to fill that form out and it is not written in a manner that eliminates confusion, interpretation and consternation. It is written to create liability, confusion and consternation. Especially the latter for the most intelligent among us.

minimum wagers and some hack will sign off on them. $19.99 is my prediction. The market will be overflowing with wannabe inspectors. the only way to do it right is the person who does the inspection signs it and is responsible. it looks like that is not going to happen so good luck to you all.:mrgreen:

Any news on the home inspection law regarding the proposed changes submitted by the DBPR with regards to grandfathering? Have they been accepted yet. The session is over as of today right?

Wow so we can perform wind inspection under our name if we take this class?

It would be up to the insurance provider to decide. It does not say that a Licensed home inspector can do it on the form. but it does say whoever the insurance agency deems qualified can do it. Get ready for $19.99 prices. Good luck.