New, free IRC Exam Study Course based on 2021 code

"17 hours of instructional video "

INACHI has some very good courses and I do understand that video may make it easier to create them. However INACHI really needs to either cut WAY BACK on the videos or create them in two different formats. No offense to the INACHI trainers but one thing I really don’t care for in almost all courses I take in person (not just INACHI’s) is having to sit there through 17 hours for something I can read in 4 hours.

Usually after long in person classes I have to visit my Doctor for severe migraines from doing the Rubber Chicken!!

3 Likes

That’s curious, I didn’t delete the post.

Most courses need to meet a credit hour goal. To achieve that there is often filler to stretch out the material.

1 Like

This is probably why if I take an InterNACHI 12-hour course it is only good for 6 hours for my IL state CE`s.

1 Like

The amount of CE hours we assign to any course is out of our hands. Because we are the only University in the inspection industry, we have to use a U.S. Dept of Education formula and it is overly generous IMHO. www.internachi.edu

Same formula the IRS uses to determine how long it takes to read something or fill out a form or whatever. State licensing boards don’t have to use that federal formula and so award our courses different amounts of CE.

That may be true now Nick. And definitely makes sense. But I’ve had this issue with my state way before InterNACHI became a university.
And many of the drawn-out videos make for a very boring course. That’s just my opinion.

1 Like
1 Like

And ICC has approved the course for ICC CE - 63 hours.

Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 1.19.54 PM

No offense intended but your explanation leaves the following questions and comments. Also I do not see where my comments above complained that the course is not entertaining. What I did say and will paraphrase is sitting through 17 hours of being constantly talked at is enough to make even Doogie Howser break his nose!

Time point :26 - :45 - So you are saying this video is 17 hours long because you are going to read the whole IRC even though you stated it would take 60 hours to do so?

If your intention is to teach the entire IRC then even this course may be a very good start but would never be enough. It might help the student get a passing grade on an open book test.

Time point :56 - 1:52 - You are saying that this course “prepares” the person to take the B1, E1, P1, and M1 tests. IMO this course is not long enough to teach the technical requirements of the IRC to even a good level of understanding. So is this course actually about how the IRC is constructed and how to quickly find an answer to a test question since the tests are open book?

2:24 - 2:45 - You are claiming that you are diving deep through every section, every diagram, etc., etc. That must be some real fast talking?? Even the ICC Gurus in their 5 day IRC Boot Camp were unable to do that. Are you actually doing that or are you only expanding on the additional “textbook” provided for those sections that might be a bit vague?

Another question is why not break it down into the various certifications even though there is some inter-dependency between sections?

2 Likes

Usually when we hear criticisms from some that the course is too short and light…, while at the same time… hearing criticisms that the course is too long and robust…,

…it means its about right.

Good exam study course, IMHO. Hence the title.

This course is based on ICC’s Study Companion for the 2021 International Residential Code® IRC®. There’s confusion as to reading the code and studying for it using this course.

2 Likes

Reminder… it’s an exam prep. It’s a course to help you study for the exam.

Thank you Nick. I will be taking this course. Great thing is I have a smart TV set up in front of my treadmill, and I walk for 60 minutes every other day. I now have good content for the next month.

Learning Polish was getting a little boring.

2 Likes

I’ve been into the IRC from its beginning and watched it morph over the last 20+ years. You can no longer read it literally as it was intended to be. Lots of confusion in the code and even the Request For Interpretations (RFI’s) come back with confusing answers.

If your course can help some members then great! Unfortunate for me I already keep several boxes of BC Powder on hand and run through it regularly. With the economy and inflation as it is the BC Powder bill is getting higher already. As I said before this would just add to it. :rofl:

1 Like

I just want to tag on to what Ben and Nick have said. This course, the way we did it, is designed to “help” in the preparation of testing. I do not read every word of the IRC in the videos. The 2021 IRC study guide is designed to get the student to learn a good base for what is in the code, as well as how to begin to navigate around it and find the answers needed. While the video portion of the course is 17ish hours, the student will need to spend much more time studying, looking up and answering questions, and becoming as familiar as possible with the book. The student also must write several writing assignments throughout the course. I agree with you that the IRC has morphed from what it was years ago, as all codes do over time. That is why it is imperative that each person dealing with it utilizes as much training and information as possible. I also agree with Ben, this is in no way entertaining… I can be as funny as the next guy, but this course wasn’t really the place, IMHO, for entertainment.
Thank you for your comments, as I am always looking for ways to improve what I do. If you have any specific items that you could point out to me to help me be better, I am eager to listen and learn.

I am studying for the 2021 IRC exam and have a question regarding the study companion book. Each session is lead by a video followed by quizzes, as normal. What I am questioning is each quiz asks about subjects which are not part of the study companion. Where am I to find these topics so I can comfortably proceed towards the final exam.

2021 IRC Study Writing Assignment #3 - * What is the minimum ceiling height permitted for a living room or bedroom? A hallway? Bathroom? Basement? Where can a reduction in such heights be acceptable?
A ceiling height, not less that 7.0" shall be in habitable space, hallways and portions of basements containing those spaces. Bathroom, toilet rooms and laundry rooms shall have a ceiling height of no less than 6’8". Exceptions allowing beams, ducts and similar obstructions to project to withing 6’4" of finished floor.