New, Free, Online "Residential Structural Design for Home Inspectors" Course

They probably can’t. Some can. Were you under the misimpression that every course we offer must only teach the bare minimum to do a general home inspection? You misunderstand InterNACHI then. We offer many courses, books, articles, and other training that includes advanced material above and beyond what one would need to know to do a general home inspection. We have courses on mold, radon, WDO, stucco, spas, commercial properties, business management, and on and on and on.

Your misunderstanding is incorrect. We have many code inspectors and building officials as members of InterNACHI. I don’t understand the word “allow” in your question. Allowed by whom? We don’t prohibit our members from doing code inspection work. As I explained, we have many members who are city code inspectors, AHJs, and building officials. InterNACHI is a big tent.

Correct, if you mean home inspectors. Again, we have code officials, mold inspectors, WDO inspectors, contractors, manufacturer warranty inspectors, septic system installers, radon mitigators, government officials, professional engineers, home inspectors, insurance adjusters, architects, energy auditors, etc as members. Even HUD pays InterNACHI to have their upper management access our courses. InterNACHI is a big tent with many different types of members from all over the world.

CMI can inspect any structure … Residential + Commercial + Industrial Correct? Any CMI can inspect for the “codes” (ie: the “minimum” requirements are met). Correct??

A Structure + Foundation Inspector “adds” this as training. This individual can inspect for “codes” as well in any type of structure? Correct?

Good to know that an inspector can never say a structure is safe. So in the case of the ledger board … If all looks OK, then there are “no defects”. Correct?? What does this mean in the case I provided? If the client wants to know if she/he can “use the deck” (for a restaurant). Does this inspection mean its OK?

Oh, so it is “not required” to inspect structures at all. Correct?? One can inspect for the “codes” in any type of structure as Home Inspector. Correct??

So with this designation the HI will be held to a higher standard by the courts. Correct??

Not using the word “expert”, one can claim to inspect to the “current codes” for any structure correct?

Education is always a good thing. What does this “higher standard” mean to the client of the deck I suggested? If the ledger “failed” and it passed the bolt equation and all looked OK, what would the responsibility of the HI be? and if he/she had the structural designation?

‘’‘’’

Yes understood. So what you are saying (with respect to structures) an inspector may or may not require the Structures designation. The inspector can inspect for the “codes” on any structure and the client will be “aware” the “codes” are being inspected for. Correct? So the client will “know” that the “minimum” code requirements are met. Correct?

Please assume the following deck as an example so we are all on the same page. Taken from another thread to an experienced inspector to help our members.

“You are an inspector and have been hired to check out an outdoor wooden deck used by a local restaurant. This is a restaurant purchased by a new owner. The deck was built 6 months ago and appears to be OK. It is filled with tables + chairs + stations for the employees to service the customers. The deck is only 8 feet from the structure but it is elevated 10 feet off of the ground. We will assume the railings are secure and acceptable to the current codes. The owner wants to know if she can open an use this deck. You notice 1/2 inch diameter lag bolts at 12 inches OC”.

Can the client use this deck?

We have no prohibitions on what a CMI can do (as long as it is legal and ethical). He/she can offer to mow the grass if he/she wants.

We have no prohibitions on our members. Many of them are code officials who inspect for code violations every day. I would say that most home inspectors don’t offer a service whereby they check the home against local building codes. Some may, but I’d guess only a handful offer such a service.

Very incorrect. Very incorrect for almost anything in life.

No. Not noticing any defects is a far cry from being OK for a specific commercial use.

Not required by whom? If you mean InterNACHI, our SOP is here: Home Inspection Standards of Practice - InterNACHI®

InterNACHI has no prohibition on it. Many inspectors look for obvious code infractions. Very few offer it as a complete service that checks to see if everything is up to code.

No. The standard the home inspector will be held to is the SOP he/she and his/her client agreed to inspect to, or the one the home inspector was required to by the laws in his/her state. Remember, professional engineers do home inspections and they are not required to perform engineering services when they perform home inspections.

InterNACHI has no prohibition on its members prohibiting them from making such a claim. I wouldn’t recommend it, but we don’t prohibit it.

I don’t know what it would mean to anyone else (I don’t have ESP). Furthermore, we don’t have any higher standards than our SOP.

I don’t know what individual inspectors require. I know some require a signed contract. Most require to be paid. I just can’t answer the question for someone else. Everyone is different. You’d have to ask each individual inspector what they require, and from whom they require it.