New Hampshire Real Estate Agents are UPSET!!

Hi To All!

I received this e-mail from our Chapter Sec. John Hastings.

***WAY TO GO JOHN!!:grin: ***

Signed, Frank Carrio
President, New Hampshire Chapter
The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors.

[FONT=Times New Roman]LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT
Alan Croteau
Greater Claremont Board of REALTORS®

What Changes May Be Coming Up For Home Inspectors?

During this next week, Home Inspectors providing their services in the State of New Hampshire, are scheduled to be discussing with Legislators, (House Bill) HB642. This Bill, which resides in the House, proposes New Hampshire State Licensing of Home Inspectors. Currently, both Real Estate Agents and Real Estate Appraisers are required to be licensed in all states. Licensing of Home Inspectors, at this time, is only required by a percentage of the states; however, it is inevitably going to be required by all states.

The reason that Home Inspectors are looking to give input into the proposed Bill is that if it were to pass as currently written, it would create many issues and undo consequences, which would greatly affect our entire current real estate process.

As of December 31, 2005, New York passed a law that was similar to the one that is now in front of the New Hampshire House. New York previously had as many as 5000 inspectors, and now only has 331 that currently have obtained their license. Due to the lack of licensed inspectors, the real estate process in their state has come to a standstill. Buyers are having a difficult time finding an inspector quickly and reasonably. Also, in the months immediately following our bill becoming law, most inspections will be performed by inspectors from Massachusetts and New York, since our state will not have enough inspectors to adequately provide the service.

The fee in New Hampshire for a home inspection, for an average size home with a one car garage, is currently in the range of $260.00 to $350.00+ (depending upon the inspector). However, we may see fees increase to an amount between $550.00 to $700.00, if the current bill is passed into law. This is the amount that New York BUYERS now pay for their home inspections. This change now creates the largest problem, as I see it. Most BUYERS make their offer to purchase a home contingent upon an independent inspection of the property. If BUYERS are required to pay around $600.00+ for a home inspection, they may not opt to have one performed in their behalf. In many cases, in the future, the added protection that a home inspection allows all parties involved with a real estate transaction will be foregone due to the financial cost to have one performed.

As a past home inspector for over 7 years and now as a REALTOR®, I feel that the home inspection profession would only be improved if they were required to be licensed and follow similar continuing education requirements as both Real Estate Agents and Real Estate Appraisers now follow. However, the proposed bill (HB642) should be reviewed and amended to make the transition more seamless and less of a financial burden to the public.

If you have any questions about how this issue might affect you in the future, then call one of the local REALTOR® offices (as listed below) for their professional opinion.

Next week: SELLERS - Sprucing Up Your “Product”

The Greater Claremont Board of REALTORS®
American Star Real Estate, LLC
Century-21 Highview Realty
Charlestown Road Realty
Coldwell Banker Homes Unlimited Real Estate
Donna G. Sylvia Real Estate
Lookers Realty
Normand R. Beaudry Real Estate
Pulpit Rock Realty
Town & Country Realty Associates

[size=3]I sent Alan the information on New Yorks licensing dilemma and the House Bill 642. This will be appearing in the Claremont Eagle Times sometime next week.

John
[/size][/FONT]

Hi…sorry to bust into your post…but Frank…your email keeps bouncing back to me undeliverable. I am wondering when your banner is due and need the shipping address. thanks!
Cheryl
surfsigns@excite.com
seattlesigns@yahoo.com
www.signsbycheryl.freeservers.com