New here

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello. I am new here, and I’m not a home inspector, but rather a city inspector. I am curious, what is the general feeling that HI’s have about licensure requirements?

Are you in favor of them or against them?

--
Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

in that if you did anything less it would be illegal. It is not “up” at all.

Licensing requirements are the bottom minimum. NACHI certification is on the other end of the scale.

We are always striving to front end additional certification requirements at http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm

Nick

Originally Posted By: ekartal

My only concern is there would be too many inspectors without licensing. In Illinois we are already bumping into each other at realtors offices. No licensing? Add another 10,000 HI’s here easily. But I agree it doesn’t make one a good inspector. It just controls the masses. icon_confused.gif

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

You do not need artificial controls to permit you to succeed. Do you have any idea how many REALTORs are bumping into each other in those offices?

Anyone who can't get licensed for anything short of brain surgery, isn't any competition anyway. Licensing weeds out only the very weak, which you shouldn't even notice. Strong marketing is how the cream comes to the top. True for REALTORs. True for home inspectors.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

I am glad to see that this is how you guys feel. I have heard from some HI’s that they do not want proffesional licensure bills to pass. I agree withyou guys. Thanks.

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Ryan Jackson wrote:
Hello. I am new here, and I'm not a home inspector, but rather a city inspector. I am curious, what is the general feeling that HI's have about licensure requirements?

Hello and welcome Ryan,

Here in Florida we have yet to establish state-wide licensing for Home Inspectors, The majority of home inspectors who are currently in business are seeking regulation over licensing.

The previous licensing bills that were sent to the Florida Senate died due to provisions that restricted free trade and favored a single class. We are seeking regulation that would not put any home inspector who is currently performing home inspections out of business and provide a path for new inspectors to enter our profession. Constructive input would be welcome.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: Erik J. Peel

I posted a question about requirements in PA and MD to try to get caught up. I have not done any inspections for about 2 yrs now. I agree with regulation and even licencing. The problem I have is that having studied hard, worked hard to build my business (though part time) and completing over 100 Home Inspections with 100% client satisfaction. I am being told (at least thats what I gathered) the I have to go to work for someone else in order to get a licence in PA. I may be all wrong on this but I find info is hard to come by (Until I found this board today!) I think the exam should be such that it tests your compentency, and if you pass then you are qualified. But why should you have to go to work for someone else when you already have an established business. I agree also with getting certified, I chose to when there was no requirements at all in the 2 states that I inspected in.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

to what most inspectors think - In MOST states the number of HI’s went up after licensing came in - NOT WENT DOWN.

In many states - after licensing was passed, parties other than home inspectors would step forward and try to change the HI Bill or Laws. This is easily done by almost anybody with more manpower, more political clout and more money than us (which is about everybody).

To answer your question many of us are not interested in licensing the way our current state wide laws or building codes are.

Dan Bowers, CRI

FHA Compliance Inspector
ICC, ICBO & BOCA Code Inspector (1&2 Family Dwellings)

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I’m all for it…

of course the number of inspectors went up…so does the population of the world. The rate at which the number of inspectors went up has slowed significantly in those states, which is a good thing…the fly-by-nighters second guess becoming an inspector. That’s what it helps eliminate.

It’s regulated, which helps the consumer. Less complaints filed which makes us all look better in the eyes of the public.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: rpaul

Ryan Jackson wrote:
Hello. I am new here, and I'm not a home inspector, but rather a city inspector. I am curious, what is the general feeling that HI's have about licensure requirements?

Ryan,

I am from NYS and we do not have licensing here as of yet. I do agree with Nick, I am in favor of Licensing. I personally think it sets a bar but as long it is a fair set of laws. I do understand Codes and how and what the city inpsectors do and are. I work around them all the time. Just as you know there are good code inspectors and bad. It is the same with the Home Inpsectors. I joined Nachi because this organization is setting a standard and helping the Home Inspectors perform on a higher level.

Rick Paul

"Buying A Home Without An Inspection Is Like Buying A Car Without A Test Drive!"

Originally Posted By: rpaul

[quote=“Erik J. Peel”]I posted a question about requirements in PA and MD to try to get caught up. I have not done any inspections for about 2 yrs now. I agree with regulation and even licencing. The problem I have is that having studied hard, worked hard to build my business (though part time) and completing over 100 Home Inspections with 100% client satisfaction. I am being told (at least thats what I gathered) the I have to go to work for someone else in order to get a licence in PA.

Erik,

I don't know about Md. but I do know in Pa. that all you need to do is belong to an organization that has membership in 10 states and have Insurrance. There is no place in the Legislation that requires you to take a state test or work under anyone. The only thing you need to do is work on Marketing yourself. That is the hardest thing that has to be done.
Don't get discouraged and don't be afraid of the uncertainties in life. Here is a person to set your aims after: "Colonel Saunders, started the Kentucky Fried Chicken, when he was 68 years old." ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) That is who I set my goals after.
I have to market against some HI in my area that have been established for more than 6-8 and seems like everyone uses these three or four only. But I did not get discouraged and now I am doing 3-4 a week and from Buffalo, NY, Bimghamton, NY to Wellsboro, Pa. I will travel up to 3 hours away. That is what you have to do, don't just pick a 10 mile radius. The biggest secret is Market, Market, Market, and when you get discourage, Market some more.

Rick Paul