New Roof Surface Cracks

This is a relatively new roof, did not obtain the installation date. Deep horizontal surface cracks, manufacturing defect? Ridge cap cracks, installation error?

jarrettsville rd 043.JPG

jarrettsville rd 046.JPG

jarrettsville rd 048.JPG

jarrettsville rd 048.JPG

jarrettsville rd 048.JPG

Manufacturing Defect.
If the roof is newer, the Factory Service Representative should review.

Looks bad. The caps weren’t allowed to soften before bending over the ridge. They’ll open more.
The other cracks may be manufacturing defect. Or the roof is older than it looks.

THe shingles in the valley don’t appear to have their tips cropped. If they’re allowed to come to a point, they catch water and direct it under and across the roof.

Craze-cracking like that is usually surface cracking caused by differential shrinkage rates between the asphalt at the surface and the underlying asphalt. Typically caused by volatile compounds evaporating from the asphalt. It doesn’t usually appear for 10 years or so, but it depends on the quality of the shingle and the quality of the ventilation. Poor ventilation will cause volatiles to evaporate more quickly, increasing cracking.
If that’s really a new installation… yep, manufacturing defect or just poor quality shingles.

Kenton You mention craze cracking. I agree it is a manufacture defect. I think hat it also could also be a batch defect due to the chemical makeup (volatile compounds ) you speak-of) but several other underlying reasons also remain open to interpretation of this defect.
The amount product between the layers of organic or non organic material must be measured and monitored, observed continuously and samples be taken out periodically from the batch to insure everything is uniform.
Shingles manufactured nearing the end of production of the batch line can have a substandard quality to them.
They are mixed in with a good batch and out they go for sale to the public. I have seen irregularity’s in American product of IKO more frequently than any other manufacture.
I can not stress that roofers know shingles better than manufactures. I have handled tens of thousands in my life time.
Just a personal thought.
Again saying IKO was told to better watch its quality control in the early 1980’s but instead left the product the way it was and built a plant the next province over Ontario.
Funny how they did not care about product,NOR THE CUSTOMER.

Great point and the 45 degree back cut on valley shingles.
Frank you mention soften. I agree with you on that point might be true.
OK will will go with that thought and I will now example why it is necessary to think even more on this journey to become a Home inspector.
Cracking due to improper bending would be the fault of the ROOFER and the company be held liable if that were the case.( if proven )
The foreman would be held responsible for not teaching the apprentice.
The company held liable for not changing the damaged shingles.

The client is paramount to my facade restoration business.
Cracking occurs due to several reasons Frank.
I have applied shingles on days that have been 8 degrees Fahrenheit.:slight_smile:
It goes to minus 12 to 15 degrees Celsius in Quebec before you stop doing buildup tar and gravel or shingles.
If you need to eat and work being the answer you go to work on the coldest of days.
You are toughened to the elements being a roofer.
Franck , I am also a journeyman roofer. 15 plus years at the job.
Tin, buildup, copper, standing seam, shingles, etc.
I was also taught the tin smith-trade although never archived my journeyman card.
Best of luck to you my fellow roofer. Lots of things to learn.
I found it paramount to extend and stretch my vocabulary.
As build up roofing is plied for thickness Frank, you build your vocabulary to ply it’s strength and build your narrative to insure it is bulit proof from liabilaty.:slight_smile:
Good luck Frank.