Help me identify if this is a defect

Hello all! First time posting here. I’ve been inspecting a little over a year now. I need a little help identifying the area of concern in this picture. Thanks in advance.

Hi Austin & welcome!
Try again , no picture posted.

This is in a valley and I was unable to get any closer due to the slope of the roof.

I cant tell if the shingles are darker at that valley. Were you able to check the attic underneath? Notice any signs of leaks? Did the client mention problems in this area?

This was a roof covering only inspection. The customer was worried about the quality of the installation. This are just looked odd to me.

Are you referring to the “California” closed-cut valley?

Yes. It is only in the very beginning of the valley. Just looked odd to me.

That is fine. The shingles underneath should extend well up under there, I believe 12 inches, anyone know that info?
Called California Cut, easier to do than interlacing the shingles.
Perhaps a place to monitor. We usually see no issues with them. Occasionally we will see sealant added to the cut edge leaving a clue that the underlying shingles do not extend underneath far enough

1 Like

I’ve only done woven valley (with standard 3 tab) or open valley with flashing. I’m assuming you glue the tabs down with roofing cement on California Cut?

Thank you everyone for your quick replies!

California Valleys are not approved by some shingle manufacturers and only on some models of shingle for some manufacturers. As an example this is a GAF Tech Bulletin describing approved and unapproved use on their shingles. Unless you can positively identify the shingle manufacturer, shingle model, and whether it is approved then call it out and let the homeowner or Builder display the proof it is acceptable.

Where are you located? It is not in your profile either.

I am located in Central Kentucky. The manufacturer is Owens Corning. Thanks!

Owens Corning was one manufacturer that made allowances on some of their shingle models but not others. Those look like Weatherguard or Oakridge shingles. They do make a reference in their install for Oakridge model to see their tech bulletins about California-Cut Valleys but that is no longer found on their site. The Weatherguard does not make any notes or allowances for California-Cut Valleys.

If this is part of the Owens Corning inspection program contact them and ask about California-Cut Valleys. It would be interesting to hear their response.

Looks like a strip of roofing was used to repair that part of the valley. There is an inconsistency with the top part of the valley and the bottom.

That’s the way this type of valley installation looks.

1 Like

Huh…It must be a regional thing.

In 40 years +, I have never seen a valley end like that.

There is a defect in the application of the shingles I would recomend evaluating by a qualified roofing contractor.

Indicates that there was a roof leak! And most likely an improper repair or installation!

A bigger picture of the roof might explain a few things of that valley.

As already mentioned, California Cut Valley. Very common in many areas except that you typically see the entire valley done that way. The fact that only the top section is done indicates that there was probably a leak and the roofer found it easier to repair using this method. Also as already mentioned, it’s not the preferred method, but it’s a cosmetic issue only (unless it’s leaking!).

Learn more about it here.

1 Like