New to home inspection business question.

Originally Posted By: Brad Rebar
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello everyone, I have been researching the Home Inspection business, and I am planning on recieving my certification in September. I would like to ask a few questions. What is the best part of being in this business and what, if any, are the drawbacks? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Strongpoint: Being your own boss.

Weakpoint: Starting out with little work.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: psisler

Brad,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Home Inspection. I definitely agree with Kevin on being your own boss. Definitely as much, be ready for the business to be slow at first. Getting established in a county or city is work. Be prepared for some slow time financially. This is a great business and I love to help people in their needs concerning their home or future home. Don't get frustrated and give em' heck. Take care.

Patrick M. Sisler
Alta Sierra Home Inspections
altasierrahi@lycos.com
530-272-7242

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Best part is getting to spend quality time in some wonderful crawlspaces.

Worst part is all the nice realestators trying to feed you milk and chip chocolate cookies all day - ruins your appetite when you get home.

Originally Posted By: Brad Rebar

Thanks to those of you who replied to my question.

I'ved lived in a house that is over 140 years old and I am quite familiar with crawl spaces. I doesnt bother me that much. What I am concerned about is "the dreaded roof". I'm OK with going on top of a one story ranch, but what about a three story victorian with a 12/12 pitch or even steeper? Could I use binoculars to inspect a roof of this type instead of climbing up there? Yikes!!

Brad

Originally Posted By: jbehling

Yes, this is from the SOP

2.1. Roof

I. The inspector shall inspect from ground level or eaves:

A. The roof covering.
B. The gutters.
C. The downspouts.
D. The vents, flashings, skylights, chimney and other roof penetrations.
E. The general structure of the roof from the readily accessible panels, doors or stairs.

II. The inspector is not required to:

A. Walk on any roof surface.
B. Predict the service life expectancy.
C. Inspect underground downspout diverter drainage pipes.
D. Remove snow, ice, debris or other conditions that prohibit the observation of the roof surfaces.
E. Inspect antennae, lightning arresters, or similar attachments.

You don't have to go onto any roof, personally if I deem it safe for me I will go up. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)