New to the business

Originally Posted By: jlomonaco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi,

I'm new to the business and looking for some help to get started.

I've done construction for 12 years, built my own house and presently going for my engineering degree.

The area of assistance is in writing reports and doing field work.

I live and work in Greentown, PA.

My email address is: affordableinspections@hotmail.com
Phone number: 570-857-5013

Thank you,
John[/code]

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

John,

The very best advice any of us can give you is to take the time to read every message on this bulletin board.

There are no quick and easy answers that can be contained in one easy to read post, (nothing worth having comes easy) but contained within all these messages are answers to almost every question you could have.

Yes, it may take a couple of days (or more) to read them, but the insight you gain will be invaluable in starting a home inspection business.

Start with all the general or miscellaneous type as that is where most of the general business and how to questions and answers are posted.

Finish with the technical forums such as electrical, plumbing, etc.

Good luck.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: rking

John,

Erby has it about right, read what you can and then decide. If you have a strong background in a trade associated with residential construction you have a good leg up on things already. It is a little tough to get going, lots of hard work, networking and dedication to learning but in my opinion it is well worth it
I forewarn you though, Erby is a speedreader ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) , I have been browsing this magnificent message board for a month now and I have barely made it into the technical sections

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Nah, I started with NACHI back in August or September of last year. The board was just getting going good.

I still remember seeing some of the sections with Zero posts.

It's a lot to absorb, but dang is it worth it.

You do need to learn to skip the BS though and the stuff that doesn't apply. Like all other message boards, thread drift does occur fairly regularly.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Skip my posts. I’m mostly BS. Igor is R-rated entertainment. Willie is inspirational. Russel is a little left of center. Joe Farsetta’s posts are too long. Gerry’s are too sensible. Nobody knows what Chris is talking about. And Joe Myers is…well…you’ll see.

Skip those and that leaves you with the thought out posts worth reading.

Nick

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Nick

I totaly agree with your assesment and on that basis I am going to stop reading my own posts, unfortunately for everyone else I am going to continue writting them. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry:

I know what you mean. I sometimes wake up in the morning after a heated discussion on the board, look at my empty beer cans, look at the hit counter, and say "oh no, I wonder what I said last night?"

Nick

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Guys, don’t get me started…

Thread drift.... Hmmm, wasn't that the name of a horror movie a couple of years ago? Something about a maniacal seamstress who killed folks by sewing their evelids open and forcing them to watch old commentaries by Andy Rooney. As I recall, she stuffed her victim's mouths with upholstry batting and sewed them shut so you could barely hear their muffled screams... Scary! But not as scary as some of my rants. You're right, my posts are too long. And... Gerry's make too much sense... And Joe Myers, well...............

God, it's late.

Joe F

just when you thought it was safe to go back on the message board !!

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

If we’re gonna drift we might as well go all the way. I found this beer: Bitburger from Germany. Really good.

Poor John asks for help and all we do is give him beer recommendations.

Can someone get us back on topic. I'm all BS.

Nick

hi Nick

I hope that John is paying attention to this important thread, the poor sod may be still drinking “Spriteweiser” or whatever that local flavored water is called icon_lol.gif

But if you want a realy good beer try Pilsner Urquell ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Alright, I’ll do it.

John: If I could stand on my head (I can't I'm too fat) to make this point, I would. Read http://www.nachi.org/success_tips.htm Read it slow. Read it all. Read it twice. Then read it again. I wish I had read it before I started my inspection company years ago.

MHO

Nick

Originally Posted By: rking

Well Gentlemen,

Now you've really done it!!!!
IF John is still watching this thread he is running scared, very scared away from his computer and any inclination he ever had of becoming a Home Inspector!
He now realizes that we are all insane, and drink a lot of beer, any kind of beer and other things like Merlot!
Poor guy!

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: rray

And margaritas.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.