New Tread Depth and Riser Height graphic added to free Gallery

Your missing something.
Nosings are required to overhang a minimum of ¾-in. to a maximum of 1-¼-in. Also the maximum nosing radius cannot exceed 9/16 of an inch…

1 Like

And we’re missing the handrails. :wink:

1 Like

Seriously though, each of these new graphics are going to be a representation of the code referenced above them, no more or less.

And most importantly, you are missing the subject of the post… “Stairway Width”. Yeah, you have a line depicting what it is, but you have NO information about it even though the phrase is mentioned 3+ times!!

I agree Jeff. What should it be titled?

Exactly what it talks about… “Stair Treads”.

If you get into the staircase ‘Width’, then you need to address the entire staircase, including Landings, etc., IMO.

It is miss-titled as stairway width and you have the correct code reference (number) for width but neither your text or drawing specifies a width. Also your text format implies that this is the actual language of the code but it is not. This will cause problems for the inspector that quotes it directly.

Needs nosings.

Need a drawing for winders.

It is miss-titled as stairway width

Yep, fixing now. Thanks.

Needs nosings.

Nope, that isn’t in that section of the code.

1 Like

OK. Retitled to: Tread Depth and Riser Height

Thanks fellas!

2 Likes

Still not right. If your going to cite the code you need to use the exact language. If your going to paraphrase it you should say that it is paraphrased for brevity so a home inspector does not try to use that language as a code cite. If you don’t want to do that just forget the text, reference the code number (so it can be looked up) and put the dimensions in the drawing. I don’t see why accuracy should be such a problem.

1 Like

I agree. I’ll have them check it.

Wow… rough crowd. The main concept here is solid from the start. Riser heights and tread depths are a chronic defect found and HIs should be aware. I often pull out my tape measure but only after picking up on it with my feet. It’s the ultimate example of “measure twice, cut once”.

1 Like

I agree with Bob. I’ve told the graphics department to include a redacted version if they want, but not as a citation of code. The code citation has to be word for word. They are updating now and will follow those instructions in the future.

2 Likes

I.P. attorney chimed in and we switched it to the end of the verbiage, added parenthesis, cited the code, and prefaced it with “Based on…”

Image updated.

Thanks fellas!

1 Like

While on the subject… Is there any guideline/limit on the vertical height of the nosing, from the tread surface? I’ve seen some creative nosings put on stairs, especially laminates. One in particular seemed to be potentially unsafe, as it was high enough to catch a heel. I searched and searched, and couldn’t find any authoritative source indicating a maximum rise of a nosing.

I’m looking for authoritative information, not opinions… I’ve already got my own. But something to point to and say, yes, this exceeds the maximum allowable rise.

I’ve seen that more than once. I call it out as a posible trip hazard, but I’m not aware of anything that forbids it. Poor planning, sloppy work.

1 Like