New twin house inspection

My daughter is having a new twin house built. It is about 2 weeks from final. I have been there a few times. I requested to do an inspection while she is doing the final walk through and the builder stated that only her and the real estate agent could attend. Should I discuss this more with the agent or do an inspection when she moves in.

Go with your daughter and do an undercover inspection and only take mental notes and say nothing,

3 Likes

Do an inspection immediately after she ‘closes’ and before she moves in, to document the pre-move-in condition. This is to request immediate repair/correction to significant issues.
A second inspection at the 10-11 month time-frame should be performed for the “warranty inspection” which should get repaired at the 1 year timeframe for all the minor issues and anything new that cropped up during ‘settling’ of the home.
This is fairly standard with new homes in most areas. Your mileage may vary.

6 Likes

She needs to hire an inspector before the walk-thru! If the builder does not allow private inspections, the @jjonas has the next best thing.

2 Likes

3 great comments from the best. preciate ya. I will walk through with her (under cover). I will do an inspection prior to her moving in and mark the date for the 11 month. Great practice for me. Many thanks for the info.
@jjonas
@bcawhern1
@sbridges2
Thanks, builder stated no private inspections

3 Likes

I find that incredible, I think she deserves due diligence. It is sad builders are moving this direction.

2 Likes

yes it is sad. With the hot market it is worth more than she is paying and the builder offered to return her money and walk.

1 Like

I had a seller tell me a story. The first home she bought in a subdivision she had a verbal sale before she closed. So, she closed on Monday and had it under contract on Tuesday for 70K more. She immediately bought another home in the same subdivision. One year later, she was selling again for another 70K profit.

I asked her where she was moving, she said she did not know but she has over 100k in the bank to figure it out.

1 Like

FYI - Some states allow for one closing if the property is assigned to another party. Saves on one set of closing costs.

1 Like