NHIE

Originally Posted By: Danny Armstrong
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How many on this board have taken the National Home Inspectors Exam, and what comments you may have about it?

Danny

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Dan,

NHIE is a requirement my State, and frankly I support it's use as part of licensing.

It is not that hard an exam, and I for one would be very concerned, if our experienced members could not pass it.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Thanks Gerry, This is new here in Virginia. The certification is voluntary (for now). It’s been my experience that it will get harder to get later on so I’m taking it now. I already have a certificate for HVAC mechanical and wish I had gotten the electrical before the current requirement to serve a four year apprenticeship.

Danny

Originally Posted By: Don West

Hi Danny,

You have to do a four year, electrical apprenticeship in Virginia to be a Home Inspector?

Did I understand you right?

I’m sorry Don. No not for home inspection, I meant for electrician. It used to be you could take the exam and have a background in the electrical trade and become a licenced electrician. Now they require you serve a four year apprenticeship no matter what!

Danny

Originally Posted By: Guest

I took the exam and it was more difficult than some, but not as challenging as I thought it would be. Don’t sweat it.

Hi Danny,

I was gonna say, things are getting out of hand if you have to do a 4 year electrical apprenticeship to be a home inspector.

I suppose the IBEW probably got the law stiffened up. It's probably a good thing considering how many people in this country are from "far away places" now. One thing we don't want to have is other countries mentality of building practices flooding in as well. Nothing wrong with those folk coming here of course but not learning the proper building practices is a lot different from not learning the language.

At least this requires they learn the right way build. Even if they don't learn the language so well.

Originally Posted By: Dan Musielski

I would not be too quick to critcize building practices in other countries. Yes…you need to follow the building practices that are required in the States…However, overseas you often have much tougher requirements than we do here. Everything is 220V50Hz…, England doesnt want their 900 year old building’s burning down. I have known more than one engineer who has come State side, and can’t believe the latitude we have in the building trades. For example…if you see an outlet in a wall, you can tell exactly where the wire come from. They need to drop perfecting veritcal in the wall from the ceiling, and be a specifed depth behind the plaster.

Dan Musielski

Thanks for straightening me out Dan. I’ll just stick to what I know from now on icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dan Musielski

Hey Don…

It's usually more fun to mess around with what with what we don't know best!!! It keep's life interesting! It's like dating a female bodybuilder...most of have never done it...but if one came knocking at our door...we would probably invite her in!! OK ...bad analogy..but you get my point!

Dan,

Yes I get your point. But stick to inspecting icon_smile.gif

Don’t quit your day job to become an analogy writer…hehe

You're right though. I spend more time calling myself a boob and laughing at my own antics than I care to admit.

If I didn't think I understood, what I don't understand, I'd miss all that entertainment value I provide to myself. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Take care and be safe...