NIE exam

Originally Posted By: jmyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have to congradulate NACHI for making the NIE not only free but convenient as well. Many other associations have been kicking our exam around but to me this was the most valuable test I have ever had the pleasure of taking.

With only 100 questions that covered all aspects of a home inspection. I found this to be one of the fairest tests offered by any association anywhere.

GREAT JOB!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Al Austin a NACHI member from TX has sent me a bunch of great new questions to add to the pool. The 100 questions on the NIE are randomly drawn from this much larger pool. We will be testing the new ones out and if statistics agree, we will add them in soon.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jremas

If we are already a NACHI member and passed the exam, is it possible to see which ones we got wrong?

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Yes. Just take exam again then immediatley email me a note stating that you want to know which ones you missed and I will email you back. My email is gromicko@msn.com

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

I personally found the NIE to be very helpful! When I found out that Illinois was enacting their Home Inspection License Act I was a little apprehensive about taking an exam. I’d been out of school for 30+ years! (Bachelor of Architecture, 1970, followed by 2 yrs of OJT with an uncle in the fine art of long range demolition …artillery!!) After taking the NIE a couple of times for practice, it really put me at ease in preparation for the Illinois State Home Inspector’s Exam which I took and passed on my first attempt. THANKS NACHI!! for a valuable service!! icon_biggrin.gif

Russ Meyers

Thanks Russ:

We just put up a link to 100+ dumbest home inspector exam questions ever asked. It is now in our library and at http://www.nachi.org/dumbest.htm Very helpful for guys in IL and AZ.

Nick

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Bummer, would have been fun to look at.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Joe Farsetta and I batted this around a bit. Counsel said the q’s & a’s aren’t copyrighted so we could post them (maybe we’ll post some funny ones). But we decided not to make them public everywhere as our intent was not to dilute the meaning of these State exams, but rather to just help the few members that needed help bad/quick.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jremas

How are we coming along in the constant updating of the NACHI exam? We still take some shots about it & I was wondering where we should take the content from. I recently saw a post where someone said that they did not like it because it was too code specific and not industry general. Thoughts??

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all

just thought I’d share this with you all, it speaks volumes about the on-line exam, so many new inspectors findit a great resourse…

Gerry,

"I passed the NHIE exam today.

Thanks for your help..

I will be joining NACHI but not as of now as I can not afford another fee.

I don't think I could have passed without the online exam.

I took in 80 times in 30 days.

Thanks again

Tom Bacurin"

Let a few of the exams detractors read that ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Regards

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: nlewis

I hope it didn’t take Tom 80 times to pass the test. icon_wink.gif

Maybe Tom didn't want to go public here but he posted over at InspNews that the exam helped him pass the NHIE the second time around.

http://www.nachi.org/dumbest.htm would have helped too.

Nick

Hi Neal,

just to set the record straight, Tom passed NHIE today on the 3rd attempt (nearly $1,000 in exam fees) I had been trying to help him for the last month or so with suggestions, the main one of which was to do our online exam 'til he was sick to death of it icon_confused.gif and to note down all the questions/answers that he was not sure of and check them later, by doing this he went from his first pass rate of 82%. to last week getting solid high 90’s. we all I think know that our on-line exam needs to be continually up-graded, but it is still the best if not only FREE testing of it’s type to be had anywhere. and one I will continue to promote to my own HI classes and also to any other new inspector who is trying to learn more. Those who have been in this business for any time, and who have great on the job experience tend to forget just how hard it is to become seriously proficient in this business. and hose State required exams whether NHIE or others are seriously tough, lets give credit where it’s due both to Nachi for taking this route, and to those who are serious about getting into this business and who work dammed hard to get there.

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Gerry,

Your post (above) prompted us to add some cool new self-education features to the new version of NACHI's Online Inspector Examination. It even produces a custom color pie chart summary.

A gazillion other features and improvements. This new version is set for release in a couple days.

You can read about it (and actually take it I think) at http://www.nachi.org/aboutexam.htm

You really got to read the whole thing, especially the end.

Nick

Hi Nick

I’ve been looking at the new exam (as Chris asked me and several others to help with the BETA testing of it) and it really is a great advance over what we currently have available. In particular the ability to navigate back to change an answer that you know you got wrong and be able to change it is great, and the reporting system built in is a great resource for those who are trying to analyse their weaknesses.

Yet again we are showing the rest of the industry how things should be done to benefit members.

great job Chris

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

) over other association exams are:

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination is free to all. Other national examinations charge a fee each time.

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination is built with the latest server-side technology for increased security, but implements widely compatible client-side technology so that almost anyone with a web-browser (new or outdated) can use the system from anywhere. Proctoring is available everywhere too. Other examinations require you to travel.

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination is different every time you take it. Mathematically there are billions of versions of NACHI's Online Inspector Examination. Other exams only have one or two versions.

National statistics about NACHI's Online Inspector Examination are automatically updated ever time someone takes the exam and these statistics are publicly posted instantly for all to see. Other national examinations refuse to release even their pass/fail rates.

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination's pool of questions is compiled from experts and actual inspector from all associations. Other exams have only used members of one association to produce their pool of questions.

NACHI's Online Inspecto Examination is the official NACHI entrance exam. Other associations allow anyone to join without taking any exams.

You can take NACHI's Online Inspector Examination from the comfort of your own home with a dial-up modem. If an examinee's connection is lost mid-exam, they can simply reconnect and start where they left off.

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination uses optimized, low-resolution graphics for fast page loading.

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination is not about NACHI. It is not association specific like other exams.

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination was built with scalability in mind. Each question (and its answers) includes image support so that images can be added for further illustration. Each question can also support an unlimited number of answers for further scalability.

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination permits examinees the opportunity to double-check their answers and correct mistakes before they submit them (within the time constraints of the exam).

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination uses a weighted scoring system. Questions that have safety implications or cover larger issues count more than questions that have less serious implications or are geographically regional. In other words, questions that test to see if you know things every inspector should know are weighted heavily. Questions that test to see if you know things that near the outside of the scope of a home inspection are weighted lightly. Other exams count each question equally.

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination is very secure. Each exam is dynamically created using advanced randomization techniques. The data is then stored server-side, making it nearly impossible to cheat the system.

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination produces a custom evaluation screen which summarizes your areas of strength and weakness. The summary even includes a color pie chart. Other exams offer little or no summary.

NACHI's Online Inspector Examination is was developed in accordance with accepted psychometric standards, insuring an unbiased, valid and reliable assessment of inspector skill, knowledge and experience. NACHI has a full time former university research analyst monitoring the exam. Other examinations are very association specific.

NACHI used several reasonable methods to come up with our passing score of 75, including a version of the Modified Angoff Technique used by other inspector examinations. It is interesting to note that this method determined our passing score should be set at 71.

More people have taken NACHI's Online Inspector Examination than all other inspection examinations combined. Furthermore our system has built-in intelligence which constantly calculates and recognizes everything from individual repeat improvement to overall industry knowledge trends. All this combined with constant nationwide expert participation and improvement makes NACHI's Online Inspector Examination the industry standard for assessing inspectors.

Nick