New state/municipality licensing exam prep tool released.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/qa.htm

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

It’s still a work in progress but a couple members needed access to it quick.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jstevens

Way to go nick.thanks for all you have done for us here

You’re welcome, but I haven’t even begun at NACHI. There are so many plans and projects coming down the pike I can hardly catch my breath. NACHI has only just begun.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: dcarroll

I’ve tried it and it’s great. Just another reason why NACHI is, and will continue to be the best organization.

Special thanks to Dan Carroll for helping with this project.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Update: We got a hold of more questions found on state exams and added them. We now have over 1,700 questions with answers.

http://www.nachi.org/qa.htm

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Another state’s pool added. We’re now over 2,100.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: tallen

Were these questions really on state exams? Were any of them on the NHIE exam?

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Our pool is so large it probably contains a version of every question asked on every exam out there. As you know, I released this tool early. It won’t be completely done till the end of the week. At that point, no NACHI member should have any excuses for failing any home inspection exam.

This online tool makes most old-technology, few-version exams...obsolete and worthless.

Gerry and company's new photo-reference based, online, weighted question/answer exam, which I hope to incorporate into the CMI designation, uses the only valid technology for testing a home inspector's competence. Time's they are a changin'.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: tallen

I hate to complain ,but icon_biggrin.gif I went through all the ?'s and the best I can figure only 5-8 were on the test that I had to take.

Why would you want to make a State required test worthless???/

Does this mean all the time that I spent working and studying to pass the NHIE worthless

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Responses in order:

As I said, it won't be done till the end of the week. I'll have them all in by then. Make sure you are going to all pages of the tool, not just the first page of questions. There are currently 83 pages full! It contains over 2,100 home inspection questions drawn from a dozen or more sources. If the exam you took only contains 5-8 questions out of our 83 pages of questions... we should consider filing an injunction to stop them from using that exam... whatever it is.

Most jurisdictionally required exams are pretty worthless at determining an inspector's competence because the technology used is so easy for good test takers to overcome. Legislators look silly for adopting such obsolete technology exams for licensing purposes. I understand that licensing sets a bare minumum but states have to do better than exams that ask questions outside of the scope of a home inspection or exams with only a few versions (the entire industry having copies of).

No, spending time working and studying is never worthless. http://www.nachi.org/qa doesn't just assure you'll pass any state exam... it is also a great learning tool.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Nick,

Rather than place all 83 pages to plow through, could you make several options available, such as "NHIE Prep Questions", etc.

Then, only present 300 questions, randomly picked. Kink of like a real exam...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

There is a fine line between helping members pass their required exams (if one is required in their jurisdiction) and providing a cheat sheet (which we could have done…but didn’t).

The questions are intentionally arranged alphabetically (essentially random), the tool is password protected (not public, members-only), the list is large enough (over 2,100 and growing), and questions are not flagged to narrow them down to certain exams... all so that we can't be accused of having created a monster (an outright system-cheating tool).

It still accomplishes our 3 goals:

-assure that all NACHI members pass any required exams.
-make any low-technology exams obsolete and worthless (other than for keeping some non-NACHI inspectors out of the business).
-help educate our users (it really is a great learning tool).

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: Guest

deleted

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Thank you, Dick.

Chad, ever take a NY State Regents Exam? Ever have the teacher tell you to go to Barnes and Noble and buy the Baro's SAT Prep? Its totally comprised of old Regents Exams, with the appropriate answers.

Ever hear of Kaplan? How do you think they "teach" high schoolers how to score higher on SATs?

You've got to be kidding.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Chad Fabry wrote:
This makes me wonder : 1) is this ethical? I'd bet that the questions from the NHIE are proproprietary and are copyrighted. 2) if your kid came home and said 'I have the answers to the SAT', would you let him use them? 3) the suggestion to organize the questions based on which exam they came from comes from the leader of the ethics committee?

Are designated test takers the next step to "helping" new inspectors pass?

For God's sake, whatever happened to knowing your trade and being competent?

Chad,

Having taken and passed this test I can state from experience that the primary purpose of this exam is to limit the number on HI's, not to prepare them for the career of Home Inspector.

Living and working in west-central Florida it is not important to know about steam boilers, oil burners and barometric dampers, still, when I took the exam about 12 questions on it were directed at these type of questions. Do you think that these questions were to help me be a better inspector or were they designed to help me fail? It is clear to me that changes need to be made in the exam process, hopefully this is a move in the right direction. NACHI's goal is educate and promote their members in all aspects of the Home Inspection profession, this is just another example of NACHI's effort to help its members achieve success.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Joe Burkeson wrote:
Living and working in west-central Florida it is not important to know about steam boilers, oil burners and barometric dampers, still, when I took the exam about 12 questions on it were directed at these type of questions. Do you think that these questions were to help me be a better inspector or were they designed to help me fail? It is clear to me that changes need to be made in the exam process, hopefully this is a move in the right direction. NACHI's goal is educate and promote their members in all aspects of the Home Inspection profession, this is just another example of NACHI's effort to help its members achieve success.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

icon_smile.gif

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Not really. If I had a conspiracy theory and thought Nick was a thief, maybe.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com