No Carbon monoxide detectors

‘It can happen to anybody’: Son speaks out after couple’scarbon monoxide deaths
Last Updated Monday, January 30, 2017 8:53PM EST

The son of a couple who diedfrom carbon monoxide poisoning in Halifax earlier this week is speaking out toraise awareness about the silent killer.
Chris Williams’ mother,54-year-old Marlene Gallagher Arsenault, and his step-father, 56-year-old TomNorman, died inside their home on Friday, Jan. 27.
Williams had gone to check onthem when his mom hadn’t shown up to take her grandchildren to school.
“I then at that time saw my mom lying face down on the floor, just a few feet from the door.
So at that time I banged even harder screaming for my mom to wake up,” he told CTV Atlantic,
He called 911 and police arrived on the scene shortly after.
“I pleaded if there was apulse and there was no words spoken.
The cop just shook his head.”
Fire investigators detected extremely high levels of carbon monoxide on the scene and later attributed it to a faulty furnace.
Williams now hopes that hisfamily’s tragedy will serve as a warning to others.
“It can happen to anybody,” hesaid. “Carbon monoxide detectors were not present in the home, had they been present I would still have my mom.
I would still have my stepdad.”
“If you have a wood stove oran oil furnace, please install a carbon monoxide detector,” said Halifax DeputyFire Chief Roy Hollett.
“If you don’t have the resources to put one in pleasegive us a call through 311 and we’ll set up an appointment to come put one in,”he added.
Officials in New Brunswick arealso warning residents to take precautions against carbon monoxide poisoning.
Two people have been found dead in two separate northern New Brunswick homes after they were poisoned bycarbon monoxide.
Seven others have been sent to hospital, seriously ill afterbeing exposed to high levels of the gas.
The risk is especially highfor those who remain off the grid in New Brunswick.
The recent ice storm hasleft thousands without power and some are turning to generators, woodstoves, or barbeques to eat and stay warm.
But officials warn that if those appliances arenot properly ventilated, homeowners may not know they are being poisoned untilit’s too late.
The gas is odourless, colourlessand tasteless, which means it’s difficult to tell if you’re inhaling it.
“You might start to getsymptoms of maybe dizziness, nausea, confusion but of course if you think that that’s another cause and you don’t get out of your house or stop the sourcethen it can lead to unconsciousness and death,” said president of the New BrunswickLung Association Barbara MacKinnon.
Provincial emergency officials say if you don’t have power and are in need of food and warmth, go to a warming station rather than taking any risks.
“You should always have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, so if you have any source of combustion in your house, you should have one of those,” said MacKinnon

Anytime a combustion appliance is noticed during an inspection, a CO detector should be recommended! And there is no specific location to put it as carbon monoxide spreads evenly everywhere.

Make note of the plugin CO detectors , they maybe there when you inspect but the seller takes them with them. At least make buyers aware that it may happen they could be in a new house with no detector.

CA has a law on CO detectors. Outside each sleeping area, on each level and in basements if they exist. As of Jan 1,2017 if there is a fossil fueled device in a sleeping area a CO has to be installed in that room as well. Just had one today. Master bedroom with enclosed gas fire place.

Same here in the Province of Ontario -

Boiler plate narratives for Ontario Inspectors who want one

If the CO detector is there and works: **

*“Recommended action ****
While the Carbon monoxide (CO) alarm horn worked at the inspection, home owners should retest upon moving in to home and at monthly periods. Where required batteries should be replaced.”
If the detector is over 4 years old.

***“Recommended action **
CO alarms and CO detectors, unlike Smoke Detectors only last 5 years. As the CO alarm is nearing this age I recommend it is replaced by a qualified person as soon as possible.”
In all cases you can add this to the botton of your narrative:

*“For your information
Hawkins Gignac Act (Carbon Monoxide Detectors), 2013.Bill amends the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997 to require owners of residential buildings, in Ontario, in which a fuel-burning appliance is installed or a storage garage is located to install carbon monoxide detectors in the buildings and to maintain them in operating condition. The Bill sets out installation requirements and requires the detectors to conform to the standards that are prescribed by the regulations made under the Act. Intentionally disabling a carbon monoxide detector required by the Act is prohibited.”
I hope this helps.

The last two fire alarms I purchased had a two (2) year warranty. (these were for our home in Florida)

To-day, Brenda came home with a two pack from Kidde and they have a 5 year warranty.

Irregardless, I always recommend to my clients, to replace all smoke and CO detectors and replace with new.

If someone wakes up dead in the morning (pun intended), sue the manufacturer not me!